Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old December 15th 05, 06:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Brian
 
Posts: n/a
Default Kiwa mods for R75

Just curious if anyone here has had the Kiwa mods for the Icom R75,
particularly the sync and filter upgrades. If so, what was the turnover
time, and which modifications do you feel are the most significant for
dxing?

-Brian



  #2   Report Post  
Old December 15th 05, 07:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
paul
 
Posts: n/a
Default Kiwa mods for R75


Just curious if anyone here has had the Kiwa mods for the Icom R75,
particularly the sync and filter upgrades. If so, what was the turnover
time, and which modifications do you feel are the most significant for
dxing?

-Brian


Hi Brian,

Take a look at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/icomr75/

Succes

Paul


  #3   Report Post  
Old December 15th 05, 07:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Brian
 
Posts: n/a
Default Kiwa mods for R75


"paul" wrote in message
...
Hi Brian,

Take a look at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/icomr75/

Succes

Paul



Thanks Paul. In fact, I was just doing that.

-Brian


  #4   Report Post  
Old December 15th 05, 11:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Brian
 
Posts: n/a
Default Kiwa mods for R75


"Les" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've owned a stock IC-R75 and one with "ALL" the Kiwa modifications. In
it's stock form, the synchronous detector is non-functional and the agc
on am stinks. If all you do is listen to utilities, it is ok in its
stock form.

But, if you listen to shortwave broadcast stations and or medium wave,
get the kiwa mods. The Kiwa 3.7/3.8 filter is great for dx'ing and the
sync mod works very well. Add a good external speaker such as the Radio
Shack Minimus 7 and you have an excellent receiver. The Icom dc power
supply runs warm and provides way too much voltage too. Might want to
use a "Real" 12 volt dc supply.


Thanks Les. Do you remember how long Kiwa kept the radio to do the mods?

-Brian


  #5   Report Post  
Old December 16th 05, 12:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Les
 
Posts: n/a
Default Kiwa mods for R75


Brian wrote:
"Les" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've owned a stock IC-R75 and one with "ALL" the Kiwa modifications. In
it's stock form, the synchronous detector is non-functional and the agc
on am stinks. If all you do is listen to utilities, it is ok in its
stock form.

But, if you listen to shortwave broadcast stations and or medium wave,
get the kiwa mods. The Kiwa 3.7/3.8 filter is great for dx'ing and the
sync mod works very well. Add a good external speaker such as the Radio
Shack Minimus 7 and you have an excellent receiver. The Icom dc power
supply runs warm and provides way too much voltage too. Might want to
use a "Real" 12 volt dc supply.


Thanks Les. Do you remember how long Kiwa kept the radio to do the mods?

-Brian


It was a two week turn around, I had all the mods done, including the
more extensive mw mod. I use mine with a Quantum QX Pro Loop and it is
a fantastic mw/sw receiver.

Les



  #6   Report Post  
Old December 16th 05, 03:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
N9NEO
 
Posts: n/a
Default Kiwa mods for R75

Les - Is the Pro Loop good above 2MHz?

I don't use the R75 at all because it is just sitting on top of my R8B.
And to be honest the R75 is a little dissapointing out of the box. Too
distorted I will try the Kiwa mods and put R75 in my bedroom maybe.

Brian - please report back when you get mods done. I'm waiting for
positive cash flow after Christmas b4 sending radio to Kiwa.

regards,
Bob

  #7   Report Post  
Old December 16th 05, 03:37 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Les
 
Posts: n/a
Default Kiwa mods for R75


N9NEO wrote:
Les - Is the Pro Loop good above 2MHz?

I don't use the R75 at all because it is just sitting on top of my R8B.
And to be honest the R75 is a little dissapointing out of the box. Too
distorted I will try the Kiwa mods and put R75 in my bedroom maybe.

Brian - please report back when you get mods done. I'm waiting for
positive cash flow after Christmas b4 sending radio to Kiwa.

regards,
Bob


No, it will work up to about 2500 khz after a fashion, but works great
from 150 to 2 mhz!!

Les

  #8   Report Post  
Old December 16th 05, 02:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Lucky
 
Posts: n/a
Default Kiwa mods for R75

Hi Les

I also own a Icom R75 but I added some extra filters to it. I added a pair
of 2.8's {FL-96 and FL-103} so they would match up instead of the one more
expensive 3.3 FL-257.

I got the 2.8's for ECSS and for the cheaper price plus I read from people
who bought both the 2.8 and 3.3 told me the 3.3 was just too wide and let
too much carrier noise thru. Also, they said you couldn't really tell that
big of a difference between the 2.8 and the 3.3 for the money.

So, with what I have now, do you think I would really benefit from the added
Kiwa 3.7/3.8 filter? I listen to everything actually. BCB programs, Hams,
and SW broadcasts if I can get them in good.

Do you think I should get the Kiwa filter added? I'm pretty content with
what I have now but who knows what I might be missing out on?

You are well experienced with the R75 and would appreciate your pro opinion
on this matter.

Thank you
Glenn


"Les" wrote in message
oups.com...

Brian wrote:
Just curious if anyone here has had the Kiwa mods for the Icom R75,
particularly the sync and filter upgrades. If so, what was the turnover
time, and which modifications do you feel are the most significant for
dxing?

-Brian


I've owned a stock IC-R75 and one with "ALL" the Kiwa modifications. In
it's stock form, the synchronous detector is non-functional and the agc
on am stinks. If all you do is listen to utilities, it is ok in its
stock form.

But, if you listen to shortwave broadcast stations and or medium wave,
get the kiwa mods. The Kiwa 3.7/3.8 filter is great for dx'ing and the
sync mod works very well. Add a good external speaker such as the Radio
Shack Minimus 7 and you have an excellent receiver. The Icom dc power
supply runs warm and provides way too much voltage too. Might want to
use a "Real" 12 volt dc supply.

YMMV

Les Locklear
Monitoring Since '57
Located On the Gulf of Mexico
Gulfport, MS.
http://www.hammarlund.info/homepage.html

The above e-mail address is a spam trap, no need trying to reply to it.



  #9   Report Post  
Old December 16th 05, 03:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Les
 
Posts: n/a
Default Kiwa mods for R75


Lucky wrote:
Hi Les

I also own a Icom R75 but I added some extra filters to it. I added a pair
of 2.8's {FL-96 and FL-103} so they would match up instead of the one more
expensive 3.3 FL-257.

I got the 2.8's for ECSS and for the cheaper price plus I read from people
who bought both the 2.8 and 3.3 told me the 3.3 was just too wide and let
too much carrier noise thru. Also, they said you couldn't really tell that
big of a difference between the 2.8 and the 3.3 for the money.

So, with what I have now, do you think I would really benefit from the added
Kiwa 3.7/3.8 filter? I listen to everything actually. BCB programs, Hams,
and SW broadcasts if I can get them in good.

Do you think I should get the Kiwa filter added? I'm pretty content with
what I have now but who knows what I might be missing out on?

You are well experienced with the R75 and would appreciate your pro opinion
on this matter.

Thank you
Glenn


"Les" wrote in message
oups.com...

Brian wrote:
Just curious if anyone here has had the Kiwa mods for the Icom R75,
particularly the sync and filter upgrades. If so, what was the turnover
time, and which modifications do you feel are the most significant for
dxing?

-Brian


I've owned a stock IC-R75 and one with "ALL" the Kiwa modifications. In
it's stock form, the synchronous detector is non-functional and the agc
on am stinks. If all you do is listen to utilities, it is ok in its
stock form.

But, if you listen to shortwave broadcast stations and or medium wave,
get the kiwa mods. The Kiwa 3.7/3.8 filter is great for dx'ing and the
sync mod works very well. Add a good external speaker such as the Radio
Shack Minimus 7 and you have an excellent receiver. The Icom dc power
supply runs warm and provides way too much voltage too. Might want to
use a "Real" 12 volt dc supply.

YMMV

Les Locklear
Monitoring Since '57
Located On the Gulf of Mexico
Gulfport, MS.
http://www.hammarlund.info/homepage.html

The above e-mail address is a spam trap, no need trying to reply to it.


The dual 2.8 filters are the way to go if you tune using ECSS, I
absolutely abhore using ECSS for sw broadcast listening, and that is my
reason for using the Kiwa filter module. Of course, if I am looking for
a heterodyne out of Pitcairn Island, I'll use USB or LSB and the narrow
filters. YMMV, I use a Sherwood SE-3 MKIII and a Kiwa Map as I hate
pinched audio. Of course, if I am just listening to a in the clear SW
Broadcast station, I use the venerable RCA CR-88A and a big 10"
speaker, absolutely spectaclar audio! If you use ECSS most of the time,
don't bother, as in its stock form, the R75 is fine for that. Where it
suffers is the non-functioning sync detector and the agc on am
compounds that.

Les



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[For Sale] NRD-525 With Kiwa filter and other mods DesignGuy Shortwave 0 November 1st 04 02:01 AM
[For Sale] NRD-525 With Kiwa filter and other mods DesignGuy Shortwave 0 October 24th 04 02:18 PM
[FS] NRD-525 With Kiwa filter and other mods DesignGuy Shortwave 0 October 16th 04 07:02 PM
Kiwa Mods? Julie Shortwave 4 June 29th 04 11:23 PM
FA: Icom IC-R75 w/DSP Unit & Kiwa Mods Radioman Swap 0 February 16th 04 03:03 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 RadioBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Radio"

 

Copyright © 2017