Old December 17th 05, 05:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

Default Shortwave Rdio Reccomendation ??

Benzopia Topia wrote:
I am looking for a shortwave radio in the $500 range. Could someone
rccomend some radios in this price range.Thanks

It depends on the kind of listening you plan on doing.

If your listening is going to be a mix of major broadcasters, some
hunting for difficult to catch signals and listening to ssb (hams, etc)
then go for something like the Eton E1, the Sangean 909 or the smaller
Sony 7600. All three of those receivers will do a commendable job of
catching signals and as a bonus they will do a creditable job on AM and
FM signals as well. Of the three I would recommend them in the order
listed, with a strong suggestion to go for the E1. Also see this
review for a lot more details:
http://www.radiointel.com/review-etone1.htm

A shortwave only receiver is a specialized product designed to receive
voice and data communications. Many models will provide a high level
of performance that some listeners may need on the shortwave bands.
Many of us would prefer the much fuller audio from something like an
Eton E1 and the ability to catch a broader range of signals like AM, FM
and optionally XM signals. The features offered on the E1 equals and in
many cases exceeds those seen on communications receivers.

Old December 17th 05, 07:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 12:39:58 -0600, wrote:

I have read a few reports before that them Sangean radios are notorious
for the digital front panel screen readouts going bonkers.My
Opinion,Stay away from Sangean radios and Never,but Never! buy anything
from
www.ccrane.com
cuhulin

My ATS-606A is still providing nominal service. It's been around the
world several times (mileage wise). Display is fine. The METAL
speaker grille is slightly curling up on one corner. I can get
Bangalore in the morning with the 250 cm built in whip.

Old December 17th 05, 07:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

David wrote:

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 12:39:58 -0600, wrote:

I have read a few reports before that them Sangean radios are notorious
for the digital front panel screen readouts going bonkers.My
Opinion,Stay away from Sangean radios and Never,but Never! buy anything
from
www.ccrane.com
cuhulin

My ATS-606A is still providing nominal service. It's been around the
world several times (mileage wise). Display is fine. The METAL
speaker grille is slightly curling up on one corner. I can get
Bangalore in the morning with the 250 cm built in whip.

Well, they do run 500 kW.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old December 18th 05, 01:59 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

DaviD -- 'Your' opinion has no 'credibility'. I pity 'you'.

Old December 18th 05, 03:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

30 year old brunette has her boyfriend over there next door to me when
the 37 year old Bell South woman is out of town for a few days.I
understand the 30 year old brunette woman is scared to be over there all
by herself.
The Best Years of Our Lives movie is fixin to crank up on Radio tv now.I
am out.
cuhulin

Old December 18th 05, 02:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On 17 Dec 2005 17:59:50 -0800, wrote:

DaviD -- 'Your' opinion has no 'credibility'. I pity 'you'.

You seem to have caught something from PsychO BoY.