Old December 20th 05, 09:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Benzopia Topia

Default AM reception ??? radios and antennas

What is the best types of antenna to optomize AM reception? Also what
are some of the better AM recievers on the market? What about the
antennas that are just set next to an AM radio without any actual
connection. I believe CC Crane sells 2 models. Thanks

Old December 20th 05, 10:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
GYT

A General Electric Super Radio is a cheap start. There are always better
radios and they are limited only to how much cash you are willing to
sacrifice.

I'll let someone else chime in about the antennas you asked about.

Old December 20th 05, 11:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 16:10:58 -0600, "GYT" No Email Address wrote:

A General Electric Super Radio is a cheap start. There are always better
radios and they are limited only to how much cash you are willing to
sacrifice.

I'll let someone else chime in about the antennas you asked about.

"Benzopia Topia" wrote in message
What is the best types of antenna to optomize AM reception? Also what
are some of the better AM recievers on the market? What about the
antennas that are just set next to an AM radio without any actual
connection. I believe CC Crane sells 2 models. Thanks

The cheap SelectaTenna is the best oneIMNHO. The Super Radio is
analog. If I wanted to ,ess with cheap analogs I'd get an old 5 tube
superhet plastic radio.

I'm currently AM DXing with my ICOM R75 and an MFJ-1024 external
wideband active antenna on a 20' pole in my back yard. It's like
sitting in the front seat of my '56 Cadillac (without the vibrator
hum).

Old December 20th 05, 11:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

an inexpensive " Loop " antenna is a good investment..

Terk AM Advantage comes to mind

- ALso the C Crane / Justice antennas are supposed to be good..

anint NOTHING beats 1-3,000 feet of directional wire and a good
preselector

Old December 21st 05, 07:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

BT,

THREE AM/MW RADIOS TO CONSIDER :

GE Superadio III {Analog Only}
- - - and older GE Superadio II would be better.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...alty/0547.html
http://www.ccrane.com/radios/am-fm-r...radio-iii.aspx

Grundig S350 / Tecsun BCL-2000 {Analog Tuner with Digital Read-Out}
- - - or the newer Eton S350DL / Tecsun BCL-3000
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/3500.html
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0036.html

CC Radio Plus {PPL Tuner and Digital Read-Out}
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...alty/4403.html
http://www.ccrane.com/radios/am-fm-r...lus/index.aspx

THREE AM/MW ANTENNAS TO CONSIDER :

Select-A-Tenna Model 541-M
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/mwant/4316.html
http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/am-an...ire-model.aspx
http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/am-an...a-model-m.aspx

Crane Twin Coil AM/MW Ferrite Rod Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/mwant/3675.html
http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/am-an...m-antenna.aspx

Quantum QX Ferrite Rod AM/MW Antenna
http://dxtools.com/QX.htm
http://dxtools.com/PRODUCTS.htm

F Y I - THAT LITTLE SOMETHING EXTRA :

Best "Desk Top" Receivers for AM/MW/BCB DXing
http://dxtools.com/BestDXrx.htm

Best 'portable' Radios for AM/MW/BCB DXing
http://dxtools.com/BestDXrx.htm

THREE MESSAGES TO READ ABOUT AM/MW DXING :

AM/MW DXing with the GE Superadio III
or the Grundig S350 / Tecsun BCL-2000 Radios
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...9d216f62a0a6dd

Casual AM/MW DXing ? Grundig S350 -=V=- Sony ICF-SW7600GR
Plus the Select-A-Tenna
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...775fa5f377a2a5

Improving AM Broadcast Band Reception
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...14420bd2aa34de