Old December 23rd 05, 02:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Tom Holden

Default excellent receiver test

"mike maghakian" wrote in message
the serious problem with deep skirted filters is that the audio will stink
!

besides almost no receivers are sold with deep skirts, most have the
cheapest piece of garbage they can find. Don't know of any receiver sold
in the past 20 years below $500 that had decent filters other than the
S800 or E1

I would suggest that the interferer would have to be transmitting on one
sideband only for any receiver to be able to pull out the other sideband
of the desired station, if the carriers are co-channel. In which case,
lots of radios with fairly steep-skirted filters would do fine.

So the S800 and E1 filters do not have 'deep' skirts but somehow do the
needed sideband suppression and sound better than 'fairly steep-skirted'
filters? The demod is not doing the interference suppression unless I'm
missing something. There is a logical inconsistency here.....

Tom

Old December 23rd 05, 03:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
bpnjensen

The serious problem with deep skirted filters is that the audio will stink !

Debatable, but with PBT, or even a tiny detuning, this problem is
largely eliminated - and some receivers in that price range and up have
the PBT feature.

One must use whatever tools one has to achieve copy.

Bruce Jensen

Old December 24th 05, 03:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Brian Denley

mike maghakian wrote:
the serious problem with deep skirted filters is that the audio will
stink !
besides almost no receivers are sold with deep skirts, most have the
cheapest piece of garbage they can find. Don't know of any receiver
sold in the past 20 years below $500 that had decent filters other
than the S800 or E1

if anyone is aware of a sub $500 new radio with excellent filters
please let me know. I may have forgotten (but I doubt it)

RX-320: 32 of 'em fo $300

--
Brian Denley