Old December 23rd 05, 11:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
acmac

Default Traveling with ILG

Soon I'll be deployed to work in the south western EU, thus I'd like to know
what shortwave broadcasts will be available there.

I figured out that I must look for the following target areas: sweu; weu;
eu; naf; waf; af

Is the above statement true? Any other recommendations about how to get the
best out of the ILG database?

Old December 23rd 05, 12:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Sanjaya

"acmac" wrote in message
Soon I'll be deployed to work in the south western EU, thus I'd like to know
what shortwave broadcasts will be available there.

I figured out that I must look for the following target areas: sweu; weu;
eu; naf; waf; af

Is the above statement true? Any other recommendations about how to get the
best out of the ILG database?

Get the GNPDB software that uses ILG data
http://www.ilgradio.com/gnpdb/
(look for this heading "ILGRadio Broadcast Database Program GNPDB"
or go to http://www.boatanchors.de/software/

Use your ILG data file to create a GNPDB SW database that the program can use.
Run GNPDB. As a new install it will open a blank data page.
Click "Database" at the top.
Click "create"
You'll name the file you are creating. I use something like ILG200512 to help me
remember how recent the data is.
Choose the type of ILG data file you've got... text or dbase.
Click the "Select ILG source file" button.
If you copy your ILG data to the GNPDB folder you've just made the source file will
instantly show up, otherwise you can browse to your ILG data file by using the "Look In" box "drop
down arrow".
After you find your ILG data and select it, click "open" and then "ok" to make the GNPDB file that
will
be used by the program.
Click "help" in GNPDB and read about "filters".
Look at how some of the predefined filters are set up.
You can create filters to show you any type of data you want... country, target, time, frequency,
language, station and "on now".
A few of my filters include "CRI to America", "Radio Havana in English", "41 meter band on now",
"All English on now"
Very handy program.

Old December 23rd 05, 07:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

Thanks for this, Sanjaya. I hadn't really looked at this before
because I've been fairly satisfied with the Fineware Radio Listeners
Database (RLDB). I didn't realize that the GNPDB had these user
defined filter options. I'll have to give it a try.

RLDB is nonetheless a nice program, although the program is no longer
supported by Fineware. It looks like the German firm Thiecom has the
RLDB program available for download at the following link:

http://www.thiecom.de/ftp/--%3ESoftware/logbuch/win/

Best,

Junius

Old December 23rd 05, 07:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Sanjaya

"junius" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for this, Sanjaya. I hadn't really looked at this before
because I've been fairly satisfied with the Fineware Radio Listeners
Database (RLDB). I didn't realize that the GNPDB had these user
defined filter options. I'll have to give it a try.

RLDB is nonetheless a nice program, although the program is no longer
supported by Fineware. It looks like the German firm Thiecom has the
RLDB program available for download at the following link:

http://www.thiecom.de/ftp/--%3ESoftware/logbuch/win/

Best,

Junius

Thanks Junius. I use RLDB and GNPDB both. I'll keep the link for RLDB
because others ask for it occasionally

Old December 24th 05, 05:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
chevyorange

I'll add for any Mac users on the go (or even at home!) that you can
get an excellent reader for ILG he

http://homepage.mac.com/jimwatson/

I've been using his free apps for a few years now. OS X only.