Old December 28th 05, 10:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Henry

Default World Service UK Reception

I live in the North East of England and I have dabbled a bit with a poor
20GBP receiver ( it was a gift! ).

When on Holiday in Portugal I got good reception of the BBC WS on various SW
frequencies.

I have now bought a Roberts R9969. Actually this is the second as the first
had a fault ( the sound switched on and off whenever I touched the case! )
I took it back to the shop and replaced it but I am not impressed with the
SW reception on the second set.

I have programmed the following frequencies into it for the WS but I do not
get any signal at all despite trying it at various times of the day and
evening;

6195
9410
12095
15485
13855

I thought I would try the American Forces Network and again got no reception
at all on these frequencies;

7590
4319
5765
6350
7812
10320
12579

Is my area a black hole for SW or is it likely that this is another duff
radio?

--
~~~~~~~~~~
All the best,

Henry
~~~~~~~~~~

Old December 28th 05, 11:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
R.F. Collins

Were you listening last night?. We has a corona event on the sun that
wiped out a lot of the shortwave band.

Jim

Old December 28th 05, 03:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Eddie G0EHV

"Henry" wrote in message
[...]

I also am in NE England, it certainly isn't a black hole for RF!
Suggest you consider an external antenna for better reception but any
reasonable portable should pick up any of the major SW broadcasters
depending on propagation of course!
Regards,
Eddie