RadioBanter

-   -   CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/85240-cbs-infinity-iboc-am.html)

Frank Dresser December 29th 05 05:48 AM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

I'm no longer hearing the IBOC sidebands as I tune past WBBM and WSCR. Have
other CBS/Infinity stations also turned off the IBOC noise?

WIND has dropped IBOC. Aside from the Clear Channel stations, it doesn't
seem like there's much commitment to IBOC-AM, at least in Chicago.

Frank Dresser

[email protected] December 29th 05 08:22 AM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

I'll check KCBS in the AM, but it has been my experience that that IBOC
isn't always turned on. It's not like anyone is using the service. ;-)

Frank Dresser December 29th 05 09:18 AM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'll check KCBS in the AM, but it has been my experience that that IBOC
isn't always turned on. It's not like anyone is using the service. ;-)

Yeah, that's been my expirence, so I didn't think much when I didn't hear
the noise. IBOC started intermittently on the two CBS stations here, but
had run continously during the daytime for maybe a couple of months. I
don't think I've heard the sidbands on either station for about 3 weeks.

Clear Channel's AM stations in Chicago continue to use IBOC.

Some, not many but some, people should be using the service. There were a
few rather expensive IBOC receivers introduced this year. IBOC was supposed
to be building momentum now.

It seems curious that a couple of big time clears have turned off the IBOC
sidebands during the Christmas season.

Frank Dresser

jon December 29th 05 09:42 AM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

Greetings Frank and all!
Pardon me for my ignorance but what is IBOC? I will never know without
asking. I appreciate in advance the response! Have a great week and a
wonderful New Year! Jon in South Carolina.

R.F. Collins December 29th 05 09:43 AM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

It looks like WWJ here in Detroit is still running it. They also
started some ads pushing the format so I don't think it is going over
very well. All news in HD....gotta have it!

Jim

RHF December 29th 05 09:56 AM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

For One and All,

On FM KDFC in the SF Bay Area was running IBOC
http://www.kdfc.com/new/home_flash.cfm
http://www.ibiquity.com/press/pr/061903.htm
- Owned by Bonneville International Corp.

KDFC is proud to be the first station in the world broadcasting in (HD)
digital radio, with twice the fidelity of satellite radio.
- by Paul Black, KDFC Engineering Department
http://www.kdfc.com/new/hd.cfm
The HD Radio signal is called an "In Band, On Channel" (IBOC) signal.

To me IBOC makes Sound Sense and Good Business Cents
for FM Stereo Radio - But for AM Talk Radio ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Long, winding road ahead for digital radio
More stations are broadcasting it,
but few listeners own receivers that can get better signal
- by Benny Evangelista
- Chronicle Staff Writer
- May 31, 2004
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...type=printable
NOTE - IBiquity has the upper hand in getting stations to convert
because its investors include the biggest radio corporations, including
: Clear Channel Communications, Bonneville International Corp.,
Susquehanna Radio Corp., Viacom Inc. and ABC Inc.

IBOC Radio Station "On-the-Air"
http://ibiquity.com/hdradio/hdradio_hdstations.htm

just my two cents worth ~ RHF

Frank Dresser December 29th 05 03:15 PM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

R.F. Collins wrote in message
It looks like WWJ here in Detroit is still running it. They also
started some ads pushing the format so I don't think it is going over
very well. All news in HD....gotta have it!

Jim

IBOC is again on at WSCR-670. It's still off at WBBM-780.

Both stations are talkers. WSCR is sport talk and WBBM is all news.

Frank Dresser

Frank Dresser December 29th 05 03:22 PM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

"Doug Smith W9WI" wrote in message

[snip]

Eureka offers every station in a city identical coverage. I'm pretty
sure IBOC was invented mostly to prevent the adoption of Eureka in the
U.S., and the resulting ability of low-power, AM, and daytime-only
stations to develop a full-fidelity, full-time signal able to compete
with the high-powered FMs.

My pet IBOC theory is that the push for it comes from the desire to
broadcast independent channels from the sidebands. Two or three programs
from the same license.

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

[0] and too optimistic for cheap radios, like boom boxes & "Walkmen"...

My old 80s era Sony Walkman is actually a decent AM dxer. I normally will
pick up the all usual nighttime clear channel frequencies off the internal
ferrite antenna.

Frank Dresser

David December 29th 05 03:49 PM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 15:15:13 GMT, "Frank Dresser"
wrote:

R.F. Collins wrote in message
.. .
It looks like WWJ here in Detroit is still running it. They also
started some ads pushing the format so I don't think it is going over
very well. All news in HD....gotta have it!

Jim

IBOC is again on at WSCR-670. It's still off at WBBM-780.

Both stations are talkers. WSCR is sport talk and WBBM is all news.

Frank Dresser

Don't they have to bandwidth-limit the analog when the HD's on?

[email protected] December 29th 05 09:50 PM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

KCBS IBOC alive and well today.

Incidentally, IBOC leads to lower conventional AM quality on the IBOC
station itself since they have to narrow the bandwidth of the analog
signal.

Frank Dresser wrote:
oups.com...

Mark Zenier December 30th 05 12:47 AM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

In article ,
Doug Smith W9WI wrote:
Eureka offers every station in a city identical coverage. I'm pretty
sure IBOC was invented mostly to prevent the adoption of Eureka in the
U.S., and the resulting ability of low-power, AM, and daytime-only
stations to develop a full-fidelity, full-time signal able to compete
with the high-powered FMs.

The local NPR station (KUOW) had an hour with their engineering staff
on one of their talk shows last summer when they started using IBOC.
One of them said, directly, that the National Association of Broadcasters
opposed other digitial radio systems because they doubled the number of
available channels.

Mark Zenier

[email protected] December 30th 05 02:39 AM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

May I chime in from the broadcasters perspective? Most of what's been
written is very accurate. The IBOC technology as implemented in the
USA was developed by Ibiquity, Inc and is licensed under the name 'HD
Radio'. Hence, if you're interested in purchasing a receiver to decode
this technology, do a search for 'HD Radio'. To date, there are very
few receivers available, largely due to standards resolution, and the
long lead-time required by Detroit to implement new technologies into
US made automobiles.

My sense is that radio Broadcasters, feeling the heat of competition
from XM / Sirius / Ipods / Internet streams + WiFi, as well as the
Eureka 147 digital radio roll-out in Europe (whereby all radio services
emanate from a single point-source, and all have the same technical
capabilities) felt the need to "do something digital". It had to be on
the traditional AM/FM band because Broadcasters have paid a ton of
money for each of their properties; to simply abandon the AM/FM scheme
in order to implement 'digital' would have been financially devastating
to station owners.

As has been discussed, HD Radio is not currently authorized on AM
stations at night, ("night is *not* defined as 6 AM to 6 PM, but rather
varies with a station's geographic location and the time of year)
though a serious lobbying effort is on to change this. Hence, at this
point it does not seriously impact DX opportunities, since most
long-range reception is a nighttime phenomenon (when the IBOC signals
are off).

Here in Los Angeles, we've implemented HD Radio on AM 1110, Radio
Disney - a children's formatted music station. I would describe the
aural result as "startling" - 14 kHz stereo, very low noise, no
obviously noticable artifacts, no multi-path in an automotive
environment - in short, it's *very* hard to believe you're hearing an
AM station.

Compare this to a *typical* AM receiver (not necessarily a Drake R8B or
Eton E1/XM) with a mono 3.5 kHz response and loud buzzes evey time you
drive under a power line, and you can see the attractivness to the
Broadcasting community. "Here, finally is a way to compete with new
technologies" [programming issues aside!].

On the FM side, the aural improvement is much less noticeable. Since
no pre-emphasis is required in the IBOC signal path, the high-end
sounds more 'natural' and 'airy', but these are very subjective terms.
What is new is the ability to "split" the IBOC bandwidth, such that
station W*** - FM can now have 2 or 3 full fidelity "sister" or
"associated" stations. This will provide FM broadcasters with the
opportunity to explore new (and hopefully more creative) programming
opportunities.

Here in LA, about a half-dozen FM broadcasters have already implemented
this "multiple channel" broadcasting, and most of these new channels
are (for the time being) commercial free.

Too, there is a lot of talk about implementing 'surround' sound on IBOC
FM, which also might prove to be a 'startling' addition to our radio
experiences.

Again, my sense is that broadcasters are thinking that the analog
technology that served us well in the 20th Century has run its course,
and that to remain a viable medium a transition to digital *must* take
place. The trouble is that there are (probably) a half-billion analog
receivers in the USA alone capable of receiving analog AM / FM, and
these can't be abandoned overnight. The Station's around the country
are now in the first phase of implementing digital radio, in the form
of IBOC / HD Radio. And my bet is that it's *not* going to go away.

Mike Worrall
ABC Radio
Los Angeles

[email protected] December 30th 05 03:07 AM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

Digital tv switchover in 2009,digital radio is coming along now.Why
can't them a...oles leave analog alone and leave well enough alone?
cuhulin

David December 30th 05 04:42 AM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 21:07:45 -0600, wrote:

Digital tv switchover in 2009,digital radio is coming along now.Why
can't them a...oles leave analog alone and leave well enough alone?
cuhulin

It's a fiendish plot to make you go crazy.

David December 30th 05 04:44 AM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 22:08:47 -0500, dxAce
wrote:

Again, my sense is that broadcasters are thinking that the analog
technology that served us well in the 20th Century has run its course,
and that to remain a viable medium a transition to digital *must* take
place. The trouble is that there are (probably) a half-billion analog
receivers in the USA alone capable of receiving analog AM / FM, and
these can't be abandoned overnight. The Station's around the country
are now in the first phase of implementing digital radio, in the form
of IBOC / HD Radio. And my bet is that it's *not* going to go away.

That's unfortunate in that it needs to die just like DRM needs to die.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

The USA could have gone Eureka 147 but the NAB and Collins/Rockwell
blocked it. Now they have to deal with the consequences, XM and
Sirius.

m II December 30th 05 05:15 AM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

David wrote:

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 21:07:45 -0600, wrote:

Digital tv switchover in 2009,digital radio is coming along now.Why
can't them a...oles leave analog alone and leave well enough alone?
cuhulin

It's a fiendish plot to make you go crazy.

They've apparently been enjoying their success for quite some time now.

mike

[email protected] December 30th 05 07:12 AM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

Just because I am weird doesn't mean I am crazy.I just finished watching
The Great Escape movie on tv,A Bridge Too Far movie has just now started
on tv.I am trying to figure if I am weird enough to stay awoke and watch
that movie tonight.Nahhh,soon as I finish this cigarette,I am cutting
the light and hitting the sack.
www.devilfinder.com The Real Great Escape
cuhulin

RHF December 30th 05 08:06 AM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

DaviD - " It's a fiendish plot to make you go crazy. "

Some would say that 'you' are evidence if it's success ~ RHF

Frank Dresser December 30th 05 11:37 AM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
. com...

The current adaptation allows one analog and two digital signals, one of
which has the same content of the analog signal.

AM IBOC only allows one digital signal, in parallel withthe analog signal.

Yes, but we at rec.radio.shortwave celebrate conspiracy theories and Hidden
Knowledge. So, would it be impossible to develop a new generation of
IBOC-AM which would have independent programming on the digital sidebands?
Of course, the "new and improved" IBOC would require consumers to pay for
yet another Ibiquity patented radio.

Also, when the presumed analog phase-out is completed, will the channels be
restored to the old standard, or will the broadcasters have to find
something to do with all that redundant bandwidth?

Frank Dresser

Frank Dresser December 30th 05 12:09 PM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

wrote in message
oups.com...

[snip]

Here in Los Angeles, we've implemented HD Radio on AM 1110, Radio
Disney - a children's formatted music station. I would describe the
aural result as "startling" - 14 kHz stereo, very low noise, no
obviously noticable artifacts, no multi-path in an automotive
environment - in short, it's *very* hard to believe you're hearing an
AM station.

Compare this to a *typical* AM receiver (not necessarily a Drake R8B or
Eton E1/XM) with a mono 3.5 kHz response and loud buzzes evey time you
drive under a power line, and you can see the attractivness to the
Broadcasting community. "Here, finally is a way to compete with new
technologies" [programming issues aside!].

[snip]

Yes, but as you suggest, higher priced analog -- or older, as in
boatanchor -- radio technology outperforms the newer analog radios. But
people seem more interested in a radio's price rather than quality. Sharper
skirted filters, low distortion detectors and real noise limiters could now
be mainstreamed into current radios, if people were willing to pay a little
extra.

And things might have changed, but most people don't seem to have even half
an audiophiles interest in good sound. FM took a generation to catch up
with AM. AM stereo faded away. People are moving from CD quality to MP3
quality.

Good enough is plenty good as long as it's cheaper and more convienient.

Frank Dresser

Doug Smith W9WI December 30th 05 03:53 PM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

wrote:
As has been discussed, HD Radio is not currently authorized on AM
stations at night, ("night is *not* defined as 6 AM to 6 PM, but rather
varies with a station's geographic location and the time of year)
though a serious lobbying effort is on to change this. Hence, at this
point it does not seriously impact DX opportunities, since most
long-range reception is a nighttime phenomenon (when the IBOC signals
are off).

From FCC Public Notice DA-03-831:
(
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/audio/DA-03-831A1.pdf)

"Until further notice, AM stations must restrict IBOC operation to
daytime hours. An AM station with authority to operate between 6 a.m.
and local sunrise (pre-sunrise hours) and between local sunset and 6
p.m. (post-sunset hours) may operate its hybrid IBOC system during those
periods. "

As I read that, AM stations that are authorized to operate in analog
between the hours of 6am and 6pm are also authorized to operate IBOC
during those hours. Admittedly those two sentences could have been
worded a lot better!

That is indeed a different definition of "night" than the one the FCC
uses for determining whether a station should be on nighttime power
and/or antenna pattern. Mike's KDIS is required to reduce power from
50kw to 20kw at night, and that change is required to take place at
4:45pm. (for the next two days; it slips to 5pm on the 1st of January)
But as I read it, they can leave the IBOC on - on the lower power and
night directional pattern - until 6:00.

Again, my sense is that broadcasters are thinking that the analog
technology that served us well in the 20th Century has run its course,
and that to remain a viable medium a transition to digital *must* take
place. The trouble is that there are (probably) a half-billion analog
receivers in the USA alone capable of receiving analog AM / FM, and
these can't be abandoned overnight. The Station's around the country
are now in the first phase of implementing digital radio, in the form
of IBOC / HD Radio. And my bet is that it's *not* going to go away.

We are finding in TV just how slowly old receivers are being dropped.
In TV we have the advantage of cable and satellite operators doing the
downconversion for us in 85% of households - and the fact that a given
household has a relatively small number of TV receivers. Also, by using
an "in-band separate channel" conversion scheme, the new digital TV
signals result in little or no interference to existing analog service.
Even so it appears the transition will take more than ten years.

Radio doesn't have most of those advantages. Nobody will be
downconverting HD to analog for old receivers. Most households have
handfuls of radios - far more than they have TVs. For the millions of
us in outer suburbs (and the millions in lightly-populated and rural
areas), the interference will not be negligible. Especially on AM.

FM IBOC is certainly an upgrade for those who listen to mainstream
stations *and* live (and commute) in the core of the market. It is
likely to be a major unpleasant surprise for those who live in outer
suburbs and outlying towns.

[email protected] December 30th 05 03:59 PM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

Audio,good sound? www.pricewheeler.com Click on,Site Map and then
scroll down and click on,Audio Sites.Yes,I do own and use a Brickwall
surge filter,lifetime guarantee,you can't buy better than Brickwall,in
my opinion.
cuhulin

dxAce December 30th 05 05:37 PM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

Kristoff Bonne wrote:

Gegroet,

dxAce schreef:
... FM IBOC is a headache as far as trying to receive rimshot stations
on first and second adjacent channels.

It's just like DRM... It's QRM!

And the same argument applies as for DRM. What is radio-bandwidth for?
For people to listen to a radio-station or for DX-ers to receive some
far-away station?

Far more people are interested in better audio-quality or additional
stations then DXing.

As far as there is no conflict between these two groups of people, no
problem; but if -as is now the case- the gouvernement has to chose
between one or the other; the choise is pretty easy.

And you can post "DRM = QRM" or "'tart boy" as much as you like; this
will not change the situation.

There's a new one... tart boy...

Think I'll use it.

Thanks,

dxAce
Michigan
USA

RHF December 30th 05 06:37 PM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

KB,

The same applies to the limited number of former High Powered
"Clear Channel" 50KW Radio Stations.

Many more Local 1KW, 5KW and 10KW Radios Stations serve more
People (Radio Listeners) and produce more Local Jobs and Revenue
plus Local Taxes that aggregate into a larger National Economy then
a Few Clear Channel Big Stations.

After all it is "The Broadcasting Business" and a Corporation with
a Hundred Local Radio Stations can make more Money; then a
Corporation with a Few High Powered Clear Channel Radio Stations.

jm2cw ~ RHF

[email protected] December 30th 05 09:25 PM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

www.krud.com
cuhulin

David December 30th 05 11:41 PM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 15:25:48 -0600, wrote:

www.krud.com
cuhulin

www.kdil.com

Brenda Ann December 31st 05 12:48 AM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

"Kristoff Bonne" wrote in message
Gegroet,

dxAce schreef:
... FM IBOC is a headache as far as trying to receive rimshot stations
on first and second adjacent channels.

It's just like DRM... It's QRM!

And the same argument applies as for DRM. What is radio-bandwidth for? For
people to listen to a radio-station or for DX-ers to receive some far-away
station?

Far more people are interested in better audio-quality or additional
stations then DXing.

As far as there is no conflict between these two groups of people, no
problem; but if -as is now the case- the gouvernement has to chose between
one or the other; the choise is pretty easy.

I can't speak for or against DRM, as I've never heard it. However, IBOC
*IS* a bad source of interference. And not just to DX'ers. Not everyone
lives in a big city, many (most?) live in suburbs or rural areas where there
is no 'local' radio station. These people of necessity must listen to what
are referred to as 'rimshots'. These are stations which are considered to
be on the far rim of a city's coverage area. Many of these are at only 400
KHz spacing from the stations in the cities, and are very prone to
interference from the IBOC digital signals from those second-adjacent
channels.

Even IN the cities, if someone likes to listen to a station in the next city
that has programming unavailable in their own city, this is now nearly
impossible.

As far as AM IBOC is concerned, it not only degrades reception of first and
second adjacent channels, it degrades reception of it's own analog on
channel signal, especially on radios designed with wider than 3 KHz IF
bandwidths (which includes most radios made in the 70's and before, of which
there are still tens of millions in use).

m II December 31st 05 02:17 AM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

wrote:

Just because I am weird doesn't mean I am crazy.I just finished watching
The Great Escape movie on tv,A Bridge Too Far movie has just now started
on tv.I am trying to figure if I am weird enough to stay awoke and watch
that movie tonight.Nahhh,soon as I finish this cigarette,I am cutting
the light and hitting the sack.

You should start smoking in bed. Think of the convenience!

mike

Telamon December 31st 05 02:21 AM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

In article .com,
wrote:

Snip

Here in Los Angeles, we've implemented HD Radio on AM 1110, Radio
Disney - a children's formatted music station. I would describe the
aural result as "startling" - 14 kHz stereo, very low noise, no
obviously noticable artifacts, no multi-path in an automotive
environment - in short, it's *very* hard to believe you're hearing an
AM station.

Compare this to a *typical* AM receiver (not necessarily a Drake R8B or
Eton E1/XM) with a mono 3.5 kHz response and loud buzzes evey time you
drive under a power line, and you can see the attractivness to the
Broadcasting community. "Here, finally is a way to compete with new
technologies" [programming issues aside!].

Snip

This is my main contention that this digital technology does not sound
better. It is still way to low a bit rate for me to call it "good
sounding." Yes, you don't get the static and power line noise but the
trade off is low quality sound filled with digital artifacts. Basically
you trade background noise and interference where it exists and trade
it for low quality sound all the time. Other trades are drop outs
instead of selective fading for example. This is just a mixed bag of
good and bad at the cost of obsoleting all receivers made since radio
began. I can't think of a worse trade off and it is just plain stupid to
try and cram it down the general publics throat.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

[email protected] December 31st 05 03:28 AM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

Well, this is all very interesting. I'm just wondering as I'm not that
up on HD radio anyways a couple of things:

First of all, if AM is mostly talk - as it is now -- what is the audio
difference offered by HD?

And secondly, if the stations are using parts of other band widths to
pull this off -- at least in populated markets - like LA, Chicago and
New York -- isn't HD going to be a nightmare for the FCC. It was bad
enough just trying to protect AM Clear Channel stations when the sun
goes down. How on earth will the FCC ever be able to govern all of
this - not mention the engineering nightmare it will cause?? But then
I'm not an engineer, maybe it's not as bad as it seems.

[email protected] December 31st 05 03:42 AM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

Well, thanks for that summary. That was quite insightful. If you can
actually get better AM reception wtih HD or IBOC then it would be a
great addition to AM radio. Personally, it seems somehow scareligous
to listen to XM or Sirius. I just miss the commercial aspect of radio.
So, anything to keep AM/FM viable would be great. Do you mean by
fidelity sister stations that they can actually run separate
programming -- we have a station near me that broadcasts on like 94.7
and then also has a second transmitter located nearby that broadcast on
94.9 - but they are the same programming sounds.

Thanks for your insight.

Frank Dresser December 31st 05 11:43 AM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

Frank Dresser schreef:

Yes, but we at rec.radio.shortwave celebrate conspiracy theories and

Hidden
Knowledge. So, would it be impossible to develop a new generation of
IBOC-AM which would have independent programming on the digital

sidebands?

AFAIK, the standards say that -when the signal-quality of the digital
signal drops to low- the radio should switch back to analog.
There seams to have done quite some effort to keep the analog and
digitale signals syncronous.

This means that the analog and digital audio-channels must be the same.
(this of course does not apply to any additional digital channel).

Right. But I'm wondering what the technical limits of the IBOC scheme are.
Are the digital sidebands the same, and, if so, must they remain the same?
I'd assume a current IBOC radio would ignore digital sidebands differently
encoded and fall back into AM mode. So, I'd think independent programming,
even pay programming, isn't out of the question.

From what I understand, IBOC was developed because the US broadcasters
did not like DAB/eureka for a number of reasons; one of them being "it
did not fit the current business model"; so that why they opted for a
system that allowed for as less as possibe new content and where the
digital channel is contenwise the same as the analog channel, only with
better audio-quality; and -therefor- influence the current situation in
the radio-market as less as possible.

The funny thing is that -with nationwide satellite-radio and podcasting-
the radio-market is changing anyway.

Also, when the presumed analog phase-out is completed, will the channels

be
restored to the old standard, or will the broadcasters have to find
something to do with all that redundant bandwidth?

Depends on the legislation. If it has proven to have worked OK for I
don't know how many years (during the switch-over) why go back to the
old bandplan?

That is exactly what I'd expect.

A fully-digital frequeny-slot in band II (400 Khz) does allow for -say-
3 to 4 radio-channels at as-good audioquality as current FM; why go back
to just one channel.
Radio-stations will probably be interested in these new channels to
compete with XM, sirius, podcasting, (perhaps) DVB-H, etc. etc.

Frank Dresser

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.

I'm looking at the IBOC plans from a radio hobbyist's perspective. DXing is
degraded by the wider channel, especially since it's filled with digital
noise. And I have a hard time believing there's a great unfilled demand for
better sounding AM radios. If there were such a demand, the better radios
which are available right now would be better sellers. But people are happy
buying cheap AM radios with bad sound. I just don't believe that there's
some huge profitable market for better sounding AM radios, even if they work
with some fancy new modulation scheme.

More than that, there's little historical reason to think most people want
better sound. The Hi-Fi AM experiments of the late 30s and 40s didn't
trigger a large demand for great sounding radios. FM foundered from the
late forties to the seventies. AM stereo erupted with great fanfare and is
now almost entirely gone. People are actually trading their good quality
landline phones for Satan's garbley invention, the cellphone.

So, it might seem that the people who are actively promoting IBOC are either
risk-takers, stupid or have a hidden backup plan in the case that "HD radio"
somehow doesn't manage to open up enough wallets.

Frank Dresser

Doug Smith W9WI December 31st 05 04:36 PM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

wrote:
First of all, if AM is mostly talk - as it is now -- what is the audio
difference offered by HD?

Less noise, for the most part. We have three (3-1/2, if you count NPR)
FM talk stations here in the Nashville market, all of which are a lot
less fatuiging to listen to than WLAC-AM...

And secondly, if the stations are using parts of other band widths to
pull this off -- at least in populated markets - like LA, Chicago and
New York -- isn't HD going to be a nightmare for the FCC. It was bad
enough just trying to protect AM Clear Channel stations when the sun
goes down. How on earth will the FCC ever be able to govern all of
this - not mention the engineering nightmare it will cause?? But then
I'm not an engineer, maybe it's not as bad as it seems.

Before HD is allowed on AM at night, the FCC will have to decide that
they *won't* protect AM clear-channel stations when the sun goes down.
That those stations will be protected within their "primary" coverage
areas (essentially, within their metropolitan areas) but not within the
skywave "secondary" coverage area.

I find it interesting that this decision has not yet been made. I'll
bet there have been some *interesting* discussions in Washington.
(engineers vs. lobbyists) Widespread deployment of AM IBOC will create
enormous "white areas" where no nighttime AM reception is possible.
Most of these areas will also be losing some (but by no means all)
existing FM service due to FM IBOC.

If you like listening to stations more than 20 miles away, I suppose
it's time to start looking at XM...

dxAce December 31st 05 05:02 PM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

Kristoff Bonne wrote:

Gegroet,

dxAce schreef:
Hey, english is my thirth language. Perhaps can we continue this
discussion in dutch, french or german if you want.

No matter what language, you'll still be talking out your ass.
DRM = QRM

I'll translate that to "no, I don't speak any language other then
english and I'll just repeat my matra so to hide the fact I don't know
what else to say".
:-)

QRM knows no language, 'tard boy. Get with the program.

DRM = QRM

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Carter, K8VT December 31st 05 05:22 PM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

Kristoff Bonne wrote:

I'll translate that to "no, I don't speak any language other then
english and I'll just repeat my matra so to hide the fact I don't
know what else to say".

Very perceptive observation...once he's gone through " 'tard boy",
"****stain" and "dumb Canucky", he's pretty much exhausted his grasp of
the language...

Kristoff Bonne wrote:

And you can post "DRM = QRM" or "'tart boy" as much as you like;
this will not change the situation.

There's a new one... tart boy...

Hey, english is my thirth language. Perhaps can we coninue this
discussion in dutch, french or german if you want.

Well, I see you've met our village idiot...er, International Goodwill
Ambassador.

In the last few days, he's insulted people from at least four countries
(in addition to the U.S. of course)

He seems to ridicule those whose second (or third) language is
English and ridicule various foreign countries and yet his hobby is
supposedly listening to foreign countries.

LOL at the spectacular irony!

Whatta hypocrite!!

It's best to just let him get back to being a cry baby about DRM and
anyone whose views differ from his...

Happy New Year to all!!

Carter, K8VT December 31st 05 05:23 PM

The Whore House Years (was: CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?)

wrote:

And secondly, if the stations are using parts of other band widths to
pull this off -- at least in populated markets - like LA, Chicago and
New York -- isn't HD going to be a nightmare for the FCC. It was bad
enough just trying to protect AM Clear Channel stations when the sun
goes down. How on earth will the FCC ever be able to govern all of
this - not mention the engineering nightmare it will cause??

Well, a very good observation. How indeed will the FCC govern this?

Sadly, the answer is that they probably won't, just as with BPL (if you
happen to have been following that debate). Engineering and enforcement
of technical standards seems to have taken a back seat to the wishes of
Big Business.

When I heard about BPL and the FCC blatantly dodging the technical
issues, my first thought was that the FCC had been "bought off". Then I
said, "Nah, that's too paranoid. They wouldn't do that".

A bit later I read a book about DuMont, the early TV pioneer, and his
battles with the FCC about VHF vs. UHF and which color TV system to
choose. Well, buried back in Appendix C was an *actual quote* by an FCC
Commissioner back in the 1950s who said "Yeah, we called those the
'Whorehouse years' because everything, including us, was for sale".

Now this from an actual FCC Commissioner back in the days of "Ozzie and
Harriet" and "Leave it to Beaver". If it happened back in those
"innocent" days, do you think it could happen today????

dxAce December 31st 05 05:26 PM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

Kristoff Bonne wrote:

And you can post "DRM = QRM" or "'tart boy" as much as you like;
this will not change the situation.

There's a new one... tart boy...

Hey, english is my thirth language. Perhaps can we coninue this
discussion in dutch, french or german if you want.

Well, I see you've met our village idiot...er, International Goodwill
Ambassador.

In the last few days, he's insulted people from at least four countries
(in addition to the U.S. of course)

He seems to ridicule those whose second (or third) language is
English and ridicule various foreign countries and yet his hobby is
supposedly listening to foreign countries.

LOL at the spectacular irony!

Whatta hypocrite!!

It's best to just let him get back to being a cry baby about DRM and
anyone whose views differ from his...

There's no cry baby better than you, Grabowski!

LMFAO at the stupid Liberal 'tard yet again.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

dxAce December 31st 05 05:26 PM

"Carter, K8VT" wrote:

wrote:

[...]

BPL = QRM

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Byung Myung Sying December 31st 05 09:05 PM

CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

I actually have IBOC capability on my home receiver (the Yamaha
RX-V4600). The "mutlicasting" on FM is actually pretty nice since it
allows commercially-untenable formats to be broadcast. Here in
Detroit, we have 9 stations broadcasting "second IBOC" channels. One
(94.7) uses its second IBOC channel to broadcast "deep album rock"
from the 1960's and 70's. Another (105.1) broadcasts classical "pops"
on its second IBOC channel. Another broadcasts "live rock concerts"
on it's second IBOC channel.

The audio quality on the FM IBOC channels is about as good as a 256K
MP3. An analogue FM transmission is capable of MUCH better sound
quality (although only a few stations such as WFMT in Chicago or WQXR
in New York actually broadcast uncompressed FM analogue sound).

The big problem, reception-quality-wise, is that FM IBOC is
unreceivable unless you are in a strong, local reception condition.
For example, there's an NPR station that broadcasts classical music in
Lansing, MI (about 80 miles from me) and I can't pick up their IBOC
signal, even with a yagi directional FM antenna. Their analogue
signal comes in just fine, and my receiver reverts to analogue since
the digital IBOC signal is unreceivable.

As far as AM IBOC goes, Detroit's 950 AM and 910 AM broadcast an IBOC
signal. 950's audio quality was HORRIBLE when it first started up,
with echoey, swishy, digital artifact sound. Now, Ibiquity seems to
have fixed something and 950's signal sounds okay with nice high
frequency reproduction. It sounds about as good as a 64K MP3. 910's
IBOC signal still sounds awful (although it's in stereo).

AM IBOC though does NOT in any way, shape, or form have "FM quality
sound" as Ibiquity's advertising trumpets.

There is an AM stereo station locally (CFCO in Chatham, ON) which
indeed DOES have "audio quality approaching FM" when listened to on a
good AM stereo receiver (I have an AM stereo tuner in my Ford Escape
Hybrid which has the best sound that I've ever heard out of an AM
radio).

As far as "IBOC vs DRM" for "high fidelity AM" broadcasts, since IBOC
"shares" the allotted bandwidth with an analogue signal, it requires
an extremely strong local signal in order to receive it. There is an
AM NPR station in Lansing, MI which is UNRECEIVABLE in IBOC mode from
70 miles away, even using a Kiwa Air Core Loop which brings in the
analogue AM signal 20 dB over S9. In contrast, since DRM does not
share it's bandwidth with an analogue signal, the ability to "DX DRM"
is much greater. I can receive DRM test transmissions with perfect
decoding from stations that are inaudible in analogue mode (Deutsche
Welle and Radio Nederland quite often "switch over" from analogue to
DRM in the midst of a broadcast).

As far as "Eureka DAB" goes, it's deader than a doornail in Canada.
The foppish bureaucrats who were trying to "act European and declare
their independence from the U.S." by implementing DAB in Canada failed
miserably and wasted millions of Canadian tax dollars in the process.
Since most Canadian stations (except the CBC) are dependent on U.S.
advertising, absolutely NONE of them were about to replace AM and FM
with DAB and lose all of the U.S. advertising dollars. I spoke with
an engineer at the local CBC station in Windsor, ON and he didn't even
KNOW that there was still a DAB transmitter operating in Windsor.
The Canadians quietly abandoned their ill-conceived DAB pork-barrel
and have allowed XM and Sirius to begin service in Canada.

The above comments are based on empiricle results from my own
listening and DX'ing experiences using analogue AM Stereo, IBOC, and
DRM receivers.

Fred E. - N8UC
Detroit, MI