Old December 29th 05, 05:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Frank Dresser

Default CBS/Infinity and IBOC-AM?

I'm no longer hearing the IBOC sidebands as I tune past WBBM and WSCR. Have
other CBS/Infinity stations also turned off the IBOC noise?

WIND has dropped IBOC. Aside from the Clear Channel stations, it doesn't
seem like there's much commitment to IBOC-AM, at least in Chicago.

Frank Dresser

Old December 29th 05, 09:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Frank Dresser

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'll check KCBS in the AM, but it has been my experience that that IBOC
isn't always turned on. It's not like anyone is using the service. ;-)

Yeah, that's been my expirence, so I didn't think much when I didn't hear
the noise. IBOC started intermittently on the two CBS stations here, but
had run continously during the daytime for maybe a couple of months. I
don't think I've heard the sidbands on either station for about 3 weeks.

Clear Channel's AM stations in Chicago continue to use IBOC.

Some, not many but some, people should be using the service. There were a
few rather expensive IBOC receivers introduced this year. IBOC was supposed
to be building momentum now.

It seems curious that a couple of big time clears have turned off the IBOC
sidebands during the Christmas season.

Frank Dresser

Old December 29th 05, 09:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
jon

Greetings Frank and all!
Pardon me for my ignorance but what is IBOC? I will never know without
asking. I appreciate in advance the response! Have a great week and a
wonderful New Year! Jon in South Carolina.

Old December 29th 05, 09:43 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
R.F. Collins

It looks like WWJ here in Detroit is still running it. They also
started some ads pushing the format so I don't think it is going over
very well. All news in HD....gotta have it!

Jim

Old December 29th 05, 09:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

For One and All,

On FM KDFC in the SF Bay Area was running IBOC
http://www.kdfc.com/new/home_flash.cfm
http://www.ibiquity.com/press/pr/061903.htm
- Owned by Bonneville International Corp.

KDFC is proud to be the first station in the world broadcasting in (HD)
digital radio, with twice the fidelity of satellite radio.
- by Paul Black, KDFC Engineering Department
http://www.kdfc.com/new/hd.cfm
The HD Radio signal is called an "In Band, On Channel" (IBOC) signal.

To me IBOC makes Sound Sense and Good Business Cents
for FM Stereo Radio - But for AM Talk Radio ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Long, winding road ahead for digital radio
More stations are broadcasting it,
but few listeners own receivers that can get better signal
- by Benny Evangelista
- Chronicle Staff Writer
- May 31, 2004
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...type=printable
NOTE - IBiquity has the upper hand in getting stations to convert
because its investors include the biggest radio corporations, including
: Clear Channel Communications, Bonneville International Corp.,
Susquehanna Radio Corp., Viacom Inc. and ABC Inc.

IBOC Radio Station "On-the-Air"
http://ibiquity.com/hdradio/hdradio_hdstations.htm

just my two cents worth ~ RHF
Old December 29th 05, 03:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Frank Dresser

R.F. Collins wrote in message
It looks like WWJ here in Detroit is still running it. They also
started some ads pushing the format so I don't think it is going over
very well. All news in HD....gotta have it!

Jim

IBOC is again on at WSCR-670. It's still off at WBBM-780.

Both stations are talkers. WSCR is sport talk and WBBM is all news.

Frank Dresser

Old December 29th 05, 03:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Frank Dresser

"Doug Smith W9WI" wrote in message

[snip]

Eureka offers every station in a city identical coverage. I'm pretty
sure IBOC was invented mostly to prevent the adoption of Eureka in the
U.S., and the resulting ability of low-power, AM, and daytime-only
stations to develop a full-fidelity, full-time signal able to compete
with the high-powered FMs.

My pet IBOC theory is that the push for it comes from the desire to
broadcast independent channels from the sidebands. Two or three programs
from the same license.

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

[0] and too optimistic for cheap radios, like boom boxes & "Walkmen"...

My old 80s era Sony Walkman is actually a decent AM dxer. I normally will
pick up the all usual nighttime clear channel frequencies off the internal
ferrite antenna.

Frank Dresser

Old December 29th 05, 03:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 15:15:13 GMT, "Frank Dresser"
wrote:

R.F. Collins wrote in message
.. .
It looks like WWJ here in Detroit is still running it. They also
started some ads pushing the format so I don't think it is going over
very well. All news in HD....gotta have it!

Jim

IBOC is again on at WSCR-670. It's still off at WBBM-780.

Both stations are talkers. WSCR is sport talk and WBBM is all news.

Frank Dresser

Don't they have to bandwidth-limit the analog when the HD's on?

Old December 29th 05, 09:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

KCBS IBOC alive and well today.

Incidentally, IBOC leads to lower conventional AM quality on the IBOC
station itself since they have to narrow the bandwidth of the analog
signal.

Frank Dresser wrote:
oups.com...