Old December 30th 05, 06:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

Default How to sell a Drake R8B?

Joe Analssandrini wrote:
Dear John,

You're right. I guess I could have asked my question more
diplomatically. I certainly didn't mean to be argumentative. I just
hope that David is not abandoning the shortwave hobby. While I never
owned a Drake R8, I know it is one of the very best receivers out there
and, even if I were buying something else, I would want to keep it.
(Can you have too many SW radios?) There is no question that someday it
will be considered a "classic" and should command a much higher price
(both in absolute AND relative terms) than it does today.

I know that, frankly, it is none of my business. I am just curious. I
do hope that, if he does in fact sell the radio, he gets a good price
and the radio goes to a good home.

Best,

Joe

Yes, I agree the Drake ranks up there as a high performing shortwave
radio with lots of features for manipulating a signal. If it isn't a
classic it soon will be along with other hobby favorites from Kenwood,
Japan Radio, Icom and Yaesu.

On a somewhat related note, do you know whether Yaesu and Icom have
dropped their receiver lines? There were many messages about their
pending demise on this forum and at some point Universal Radio gave
some indication that was the case.

Best wishes for a fine new years....

Old December 30th 05, 06:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Michael Lawson

"John S." wrote in message
oups.com...

Joe Analssandrini wrote:
[...]

The IC-R75 is still around. Apparently Icom took
some grief from dropping it, and they brought it
back with the UT-106 installed at the factory.

The Yaesu FRG-100b is still kicking around,
mainly because it's such a slow seller that
stocks haven't been depleted yet.

--Mike L.

Old December 31st 05, 01:53 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Notme

If you sell it on ebay do the buyer a favor and DO NOT ship it at the
post office. I bought an NRD-525 on ebay on 12/24. The little
shipping stores were closed and the seller tried to do me a favor by
sending it US mail. Six days later it hasn't made the six hour trip
from San Diego to Phoenix and the post office tracking number provides
no status information at all. It is useless, just like their service.

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 18:04:39 -0800, David Ellis
wrote:

I'm thinking of selling the receiver on eBay but eBay has no
R8B listed. Is eBay a good place to sell an R8B?
--David

Old December 31st 05, 02:15 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David Ellis

This is encouraging. It's $200 more than I paid.
--David

Old December 31st 05, 03:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

A few months ago,I bought a Blaupunkt Derby 691 radio from a guy in
Minnesota.He shipped the radio to me via U.S.Post Office delivery.The
radio and the cardboard box the radio was very carefully packed in
showed up here in great condition.Whether it's U.S.Post Office or UPS or
FedX delivery or whatever,there is no guarantee packages will get
delivered safetly.
cuhulin

Old December 31st 05, 03:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

m II wrote:

Notme wrote:

If you sell it on ebay do the buyer a favor and DO NOT ship it at the
post office. I bought an NRD-525 on ebay on 12/24. The little
shipping stores were closed and the seller tried to do me a favor by
sending it US mail. Six days later it hasn't made the six hour trip
from San Diego to Phoenix and the post office tracking number provides
no status information at all. It is useless, just like their service.

I've had just the opposite results. The Postal Services in Canada and
the US have been very good and reasonably priced. UPS on the other hand
has practiced extortion on me every single time I've used them. Double
billing on the shipping costs is a favourite trick of theirs.

I hate UPS.
mike

I have to deal with the scum every day. If it's UPS you pick make sure
you insure it.
Old January 1st 06, 07:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

M II - In your case 'you' are justified in Hating UPS.

M II - After all... UPS Hates You !

M II- The Men in the Brown Trucks are Watching
and their HQ is in Atlanta,GA USA. ~ RHF