Old December 30th 05, 02:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David Ellis

Default How to sell a Drake R8B?

I'm thinking of selling the receiver on eBay but eBay has no
R8B listed. Is eBay a good place to sell an R8B?
--David
Old December 30th 05, 02:13 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Jim Hackett

It will AFTER you list it! Only if you want to get MORE than it's worth.

Old December 30th 05, 02:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Notme

I think it is. I've been looking to buying a receiver and have seen a
number of Icom R75's, JRC NRD-525's, and Drake R8's come and go in the
last few weeks. Although there isn't an R8B listed, if you do a
search for Drake R8 you'll find 2 R8's for sale right now. The price
on one looks low, but remember most of the bidding seems to take place
in the last hour of the auction. If you have an ebay logon you can
search completed listings. An R8B sold there for $1,399 on 12/26. I
don't know that much about the R8 series, and I'm wondering how they
got twice the price of an R8, but they did.

In general, I've sold quite a bit of stuff on ebay (mostly motorcycle
parts and knives) and have never had a problem with a buyer. I would
advise having a paypal account, though, because most people who do
business there use paypal. Good luck with your sale.
Lee

Old December 30th 05, 06:58 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I'd suggest putting "drake r8-b r8b r8" in the title, just to make sure
it the search engine picks it up. You can explain in the text that it
is the R8b just so their is no confusion.

Avoid using a red velvet backdrop as your ad might get confused with
RadioMart-RM. If you are a non-smoker, mention that as well.

Old December 30th 05, 07:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Drake R8B Communications Receiver
--- LIKE NEW!!! ----
Item has ended / Auction Closed
Slod for the Buy-It-Now Price: US $1,399.00
eBay Auction Item Number : 5843369146

hope this helps ~ RHF

Old December 30th 05, 03:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

Michael Lawson wrote:
"John S." wrote in message
oups.com...

David Ellis wrote:
I'm thinking of selling the receiver on eBay but eBay has no
R8B listed. Is eBay a good place to sell an R8B?
--David

I think you will find Ebay to be a very good place to sell your used
Drake. You will certainly get a wider audience than would be

possible
in any other venue.

Search the closed auctions for an idea of what the radio might

bring.
Unless you just want to move the radio, consider using a reserve to
cover your minimum price, set the opening bid low and let the

bidding
begin.

Oh yeah, be as complete and open in the auction description as

possible.

Unless he'd rather skip the middleman and sell it
to me for $500. ;-)

--Mike L.

There's always been a middleman it seems. Once upon a time long long
ago I remember selling and buying radios on Fidonet BBS Shortwave,
Compuserve Hamnet and using the consignment shelves and bulletin board
at EEB.

Old December 30th 05, 04:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Joe Analssandrini

Dear David,

This is just out of curiosity and you don't have to reply if you don't
want to, but WHY would you sell a Drake R8B?

Best,

Joe

Old December 30th 05, 05:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

Joe Analssandrini wrote:
Dear David,

This is just out of curiosity and you don't have to reply if you don't
want to, but WHY would you sell a Drake R8B?

Best,

Joe

Odd and slightly argumentative question, but my guess is he wants the
cash more than the radio.

Old December 30th 05, 05:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Joe Analssandrini

Dear John,

You're right. I guess I could have asked my question more
diplomatically. I certainly didn't mean to be argumentative. I just
hope that David is not abandoning the shortwave hobby. While I never
owned a Drake R8, I know it is one of the very best receivers out there
and, even if I were buying something else, I would want to keep it.
(Can you have too many SW radios?) There is no question that someday it
will be considered a "classic" and should command a much higher price
(both in absolute AND relative terms) than it does today.

I know that, frankly, it is none of my business. I am just curious. I
do hope that, if he does in fact sell the radio, he gets a good price
and the radio goes to a good home.

Best,

Joe

Old December 30th 05, 06:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Steve - and oh yes . . .
Make sure that you use a Red Drape as a background ) ~ RHF