Old January 16th 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Robert11

Default Electrical Noise From House & Receive Only Antenna ?

Hello:

For a receiving only application:

Any opinions as to how far away from a house (with the normal compliment of
PC's, broadband, etc. noise producers)
the vertical leg of an inverted-L antenna should be so as not to pick up any
meaningful amounts of household electrical noise ?

I imagine that these fields diminish very, very quickly with distance ?

The reason I'm asking is that the easiest thing for me, by far, would be to
run the vertical leg up the outside of the house, perhaps on 6 inch
standoffs. The high horiz. leg would lead away from the house.

I realize that the further the better, but would 6" be "enough" ?

Any thoughts on ?

Bob

Old January 16th 06, 09:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Dale Parfitt

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

For a receiving only application:

Any opinions as to how far away from a house (with the normal compliment
of PC's, broadband, etc. noise producers)
the vertical leg of an inverted-L antenna should be so as not to pick up
any meaningful amounts of household electrical noise ?

I imagine that these fields diminish very, very quickly with distance ?

The reason I'm asking is that the easiest thing for me, by far, would be
to run the vertical leg up the outside of the house, perhaps on 6 inch
standoffs. The high horiz. leg would lead away from the house.

I realize that the further the better, but would 6" be "enough" ?

Any thoughts on ?

Bob

Forget about the inverted L- run the antenna as horizontal- lower noise
because it is horizontal and you'll avoid the deafening p/u from all the
appliances in the house as their major noise component is vertically
polarized.
Remember, you are dealing with MW and HF wavelengths- tyically 200 meters
long to as short as 10M: 6" is no distance at all.

Dale W4OP

Old January 16th 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I understnd that for VHF, most noise is vertically polarized. However,
I wonder if that is true for HF since so many noise sources are run
horizontally. Power lines, computer network cabling, etc.

Of course my solution is to go for a Wellbrook, i.e. magnetic loop
since most noise is electrical.

Old January 17th 06, 05:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
HFguy

The following website describes the best way to install a random wire or
inverted-L antenna to minimize the noise from domestic sources. The
vertical downlead wire should be located a considerable distance from
the house (at least 20-ft). This is where the ground connection is made
at the bottom of the downlead and the matching transformer. Coax is run
on/in the ground from the transformer, back to the receiver in the house.

http://www.anarc.org/naswa/badx/ante...e_antenna.html

Old January 17th 06, 06:17 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Gorsh,it took me two solid years to one finger hunt and peck type all
that stuff in my previous post.I just dont get no respect.
www.rodney.com
I am fixin to cut the light and get my beauty sleep,,, move over
Blueberry doggy.It's raining here,good sleeping weather.
cuhulin