Old January 19th 06, 08:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
clifto

Default Drake R8 SN?

HFguy wrote:
I tried an R8 in 1991. The sync' detector was prone to losing it's lock
when the signal faded. I decided to return the R8 and wait for Drake to
work out the bugs. I ended up getting an R8B in 1997. It was worth the
wait. The sync' on the R8B is one of the best.

Any idea what they did to the detector to make it better?

Old January 19th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

Telamon wrote:

In article muIzf.1561$Ym3.809@trndny09, HFguy
wrote:

DeWayne wrote:
Anyone know if there were any problems with the early Drake R8's?

I tried an R8 in 1991. The sync' detector was prone to losing it's lock
when the signal faded. I decided to return the R8 and wait for Drake to
work out the bugs. I ended up getting an R8B in 1997. It was worth the
wait. The sync' on the R8B is one of the best.

I owned one of the first R8's and I don't recall it loosing lock on
signal fades as being a problem.

Never been a problem here.

One annoying thing I do remember it doing was when the transmitter would
momentarily switch off altogether and then back on (example BBC) the
lock time and resulting whine would last many seconds due to the
reacquiring lock time of the sync detector. Switching the sync off then
on would often cause the radio re-lock more quickly (immediately) than
waiting for it to do it on its own. Very annoying when you are not right
in front of the radio to switch the sync off then back on.

Yep!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old January 19th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old January 20th 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Brian Denley

clifto wrote:
HFguy wrote:
I tried an R8 in 1991. The sync' detector was prone to losing it's
lock when the signal faded. I decided to return the R8 and wait for
Drake to work out the bugs. I ended up getting an R8B in 1997. It
was worth the wait. The sync' on the R8B is one of the best.

Any idea what they did to the detector to make it better?

It was completely redesigned. The original was a double sided sync detector
and was used on the R8, the R8A and the older SW8. Drake came out with an
excellent sideband selectable sync detector circuit that debuted first on
the newer SW8 (1996) and then on the R8B and the SW2 (as I recall). It's
also used on the Sat800 (which is, after all, a repackaged SW8).

--
Brian Denley

Eton E1 Recall dxAce Shortwave 44 January 14th 06 01:49 PM
ABOUT - The RL Drake R8 - R8A - R8B Communication Receivers RHF Shortwave 3 December 15th 05 01:33 AM
The Eton 'Elite' E1 XM Radio "Genealogy" Drake SW1 > SW2 > SW8 > GS800M > E1 XM RHF Shortwave 1 January 7th 05 03:16 AM
FA - R. L. Drake SW8 'portable' World Band Shortwave Communications Receiver RHF Shortwave 7 January 4th 05 03:00 AM
FA Lots of Drake Gear Charlie Hugg Swap 0 September 17th 04 07:16 AM