Old January 18th 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

Default newbie

In article 1137423836.926367@teuthos, adam214
wrote:

Hi im just about to buy a sangean ats 505 and im just starting out.I was
wondering if you could give me any pointers?

Portable radios do best with strong signals since they operate off a
whip antenna. Strongest signals your time would be dusk to dawn on 90
meters 5,900 KHz to 6,200 KHz and 31 meters 9,400 KHz to 9,900 KHz.

Generally search the lower SW bands during darkness and the higher bands
during daylight hours. Highest band doing well these days is 16 meters
17,480 KHz to 17,900 KHz.

For daytime hours use a external wind up antenna if your radio came with
one.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old January 19th 06, 10:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
adam214

wrote:

Hi im just about to buy a sangean ats 505 and im just starting out.I was
wondering if you could give me any pointers?

Portable radios do best with strong signals since they operate off a
whip antenna. Strongest signals your time would be dusk to dawn on 90
meters 5,900 KHz to 6,200 KHz and 31 meters 9,400 KHz to 9,900 KHz.

Generally search the lower SW bands during darkness and the higher bands
during daylight hours. Highest band doing well these days is 16 meters
17,480 KHz to 17,900 KHz.

For daytime hours use a external wind up antenna if your radio came with
one.

cool thanks for the tips im slowly learning bit by bit i recieved
several stations last night

Best Antenna for Receiving - NEWBIE Birderman Antenna 2 August 26th 05 05:57 PM
Newbie to Scanning FB Scanner 2 June 21st 04 09:06 PM
A04, B04, etc. SW Schedule Designations - Newbie Questions Robert11 Shortwave 3 April 21st 04 08:15 PM
Newbie abr Homebrew 20 September 29th 03 04:07 PM
Newbie abr Homebrew 0 September 28th 03 06:46 PM