Old January 19th 06, 09:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Darkington 'Starsky' Starr

Default 2-way SW Radio Pirates - anyone on?

Hi all,

Every once in a while I hear "Radio Sierra Papa", on 6925 kHz
following a pirate broadcast, announcing suggested 2-way pirate/outlaw
HF comms. on: 13.555 MHz USB, 6.670 MHz LSB, and 3.475 MHz LSB.

I've actually gotten on the 6 MHz frequency and once had a nice
contact with another station who heard the same announcements. Has
anyone else tried to make contact with any stations on those
frequencies? I've been unable to raise anyone on the 3 MHz frequency,
and also on the 13 MHz freq. I have heard some rather strange signals
on 13.555, though, during the daytime. Some of them sound like
beacons or something. And the other day there was this Spanish
speaking man broadcasting on AM (the signal was FM'ing something
awful) on 13.555.

Just curious if anyone else has tried to contact fellow radio nuts
(like me) on any of those freqs... perhaps weekends are the best time
for finding activity? Someone said the 3 and 6 MHz freqs. are known
as "Charlie Echo" calling channels in EU. Similar to outbanding
CB'ers or something. Interesting.

Regards,

"Starsky"

Listening U.S.A. daytime: 13.555 MHz USB
Listening U.S.A. evenings: 6.670 MHz LSB
Listening U.S.A. nights: 3.475 MHz LSB
All above monitoring subject to propagation variations.
(And when I'm not elsewhere in the HF spectrum doing
other things. .... .. )
Old January 19th 06, 11:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
SB

Around 6955 or 6940 khz is an excellent place to catch the pirate radio
broadcasters. Usually they transmit in LSB or USB but generally the evenings
are a great time to catch them. Then and especially during the weekends. I
recall there used to be some pirate traffic a lot in the six Mhz band
between the 49 and 41 meter bands. But a lot of that was in the caribbean
and south america. I can't recall hearing a lot of Europirates over here in
the States. Most of them hang out in the 6.2 to 6.4 Mhz spectrum.

"Darkington 'Starsky' Starr" wrote in
message ...

Old January 19th 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

SB wrote:

Around 6955 or 6940 khz is an excellent place to catch the pirate radio
broadcasters. Usually they transmit in LSB or USB but generally the evenings
are a great time to catch them. Then and especially during the weekends. I
recall there used to be some pirate traffic a lot in the six Mhz band
between the 49 and 41 meter bands. But a lot of that was in the caribbean
and south america. I can't recall hearing a lot of Europirates over here in
the States. Most of them hang out in the 6.2 to 6.4 Mhz spectrum.

6925 also gets a lot of use these days.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old January 20th 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Tim

Hey Starsky.

What kind of stuff are you hearing on these three new frequencies? Is
it just ham like chit chat, or another pirate broadcast or what? Maybe
fellow pirates talking with each other???

-Tim

Old January 22nd 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
SB

Ive been hearing some Hispanic speaking gentlemen on 6671 USB as of 0030.
Nothing on 6670 as of yet.

"Darkington 'Starsky' Starr" wrote in
message ...
You're very welcome, Tim. Please keep us updated on what you're
hearing, and I'll do the same.

Happy listening!

Starsky

Listening U.S.A. daytime: 13.555 MHz USB
Listening U.S.A. evenings & nights: 6.670 MHz LSB
Listening U.S.A. late nights: 3.475 MHz LSB
All above monitoring subject to propagation variations.
(And when I'm not elsewhere in the HF spectrum doing
other things. .... .. )

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 21:59:45 -0500, Tim replied:

Howdy again.

Well... I'll probably just be in the listen mode. I share your interest
in pirate broadcasting. They're just fun to listen to - especially if
the programming has some thought behind it. Some pirates just rant and
rave about crap and I find them boring.

In the past, I've also heard pirates complementing one another after a
show, but it was always on the same frequency they were just
broadcasting on. Sounded kinda interesting to me!

Will plug those three freeks into my database and start listening
myself. Thanks for the update.

-Tim

Darkington 'Starsky' Starr wrote:
Howdy Tim,

These three new frequencies seem to be for general ham-type chit chat.
In fact, the guy I talked with on 6.670 MHz is a ham. But, I'm
wondering if some of the operators of pirate stations may use these
freqs. for chatting amongst themselves, thus relieving the broadcast
frequencies, like 6925 kHz open for broadcasts, rather than 2-way
comms.? I'm not personally a pirate broadcaster, just a radio
experimenter. Sounds like this could be fun. There's something
inherently interesting and intriguing about clandestines, pirates, and
outlaws, at least to me.

And thanks to the others, SB and dxAce (so far the only other
commenters who've shown up on my news server) for your information and
input.

Tim, are you going to be on? Or are you, SB or dxAce? I'll be
listening tonight and this weekend. I'm out here... somewhere.
grin

All the best,

Starsky

Listening U.S.A. daytime: 13.555 MHz USB
Listening U.S.A. evenings & nights: 6.670 MHz LSB
Listening U.S.A. late nights: 3.475 MHz LSB
All above monitoring subject to propagation variations.
(And when I'm not elsewhere in the HF spectrum doing
other things. .... .. )

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 22:10:44 -0500, Tim replied:

Old January 22nd 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Darkington 'Starsky' Starr

Thanks for the info, SB. Last night I heard some shrimp fishermen
around 6.6 MHz USB (using USB is a no-no because of other traffic --
like long range air traffic control! -- utilizes that mode there) in
the Gulf of Mexico (I think) who were apparently using that area of
the HF spectrum instead of legal marine frequencies to thwart
eavesdropping of other fishermen finding out where they were
successfully catching.

I also think I may have heard Jamaican drug smugglers chit-chatting,
too, but they were very difficult for me to understand.

Stay tuned!

Starsky

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 01:41:23 GMT, "SB"
replied:

Old January 24th 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
WARLOCK

Hi Starsky!

It was great to talk to you on Echo Charlie 6.670.00 Mc this evening.
You really make me regret getting rid of my 706 as yours has great
audio and puts out a fantastic signal.

Hope to catch you on the lower frequency tonight.

Sincerely,

Steve (Warlock 1313Z)
Somewhere in the Deep South
Darkington 'Starsky' Starr ha escrito:

Old January 25th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Darkington 'Starsky' Starr

Hey Steve,

Great chat and very nice signal indeed today! I'm noticing a steady
increase of activity on a number of "odd" frequencies, so who knows
who will show up next -- and from where?! I'll certainly be looking
for you again. Your station also sounded simply maaaavelous; keep up
the good work. I hope you're able to contact some of your EU friends,
too. The band's open there quite often, so good luck.

All the best,

Starsky

Listening U.S.A. daytime: 13.555 MHz USB
Listening U.S.A. evenings & nights: 6.670 MHz LSB
Listening U.S.A. late nights: 3.475 MHz LSB
All above monitoring subject to propagation variations.
(And when I'm not elsewhere in the HF spectrum doing
other things. .... .. )

On 24 Jan 2006 13:51:07 -0800, "WARLOCK"
replied: