Old January 22nd 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
hawgdawg

Default Lightning rod as antenna

I have always been intrigued with shortwave listening, but don't know
much about it. I recently built a house out in the country and find
that reception of virtually everything is better than in the city, so
it's time to get serious. The house is high up on a hill and I can see
the horizon in virtually all directions, so there's not anything
visible blocking signals.

Because of our weather here (eastern Nebraska), it was highly advised
that I put in a lightning arrest system in the attic. There's at least
a couple hundred feet of 3/4" braided solid copper wire tying 13
lightning rods together going up through the roof. The whole thing is
grounded in 4 places around the house with 10' copper ground rods. The
wiring is in every peak and valley in the attic, so it has exposure to
all directions at just about every angle imaginable.

Question is, can this array of wiring be used as a shortwave antenna?
I know there's a lot more to reception than just a bunch of wire, but
it sure seems like a waste not to use it if possible. If it can't, I
guess it's a pretty short discussion, but if it can, how would I
connect it to a radio (the radio is the next project to figure out
which one to get).

I know you probably get a lot of stupid questions, but if you can lead
me in the right direction, I would be most appreciative.

HawgDawg

Old January 22nd 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Brian Hill

"hawgdawg" wrote in message

Question is, can this array of wiring be used as a shortwave antenna?

The problem is that it's a big ground system and it all terminates to earth
ground and all that ground and wire will not make for an effective ant. Sure
you'll receive signals but its a ground system and not an ant. Put up 75-100
feet of wire. If your radio is like mine it will accomadate two ant. I run
one wire north to south and the other east to west and I just pic which one
gives the best reception. You should do a little googling for info on
anttennas. It's worth it to educate your self in more detail on the subject.

B.H.

Old January 25th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
SeeingEyeDog

"hawgdawg" wrote

Question is, can this array of wiring be used as a shortwave antenna?

Definately NOT!

(the radio is the next project to figure out which one to get).

Location is as important as the antenna. It sounds like you have a
listeners dream location.
It is likely that just about any decent antenna connected to any decent
radio will bring you
more signals than you will know what to listen to.

If I were you I would first decide how much you wish to spend on a "decent"
radio.
Do you want a portable or desktop radio? That will define the next steps to
take.

My favorite and arguably the best portable is the Sony ICF-SW7600GR ($140).
Probably the best semi-portable or "desktop" currently in production is the
new Eton E1 ($500).

Grounding Steve Rabinowitz Shortwave 31 December 14th 05 05:26 AM
Question is 'it' a Longwire {Random Wire} Antenna -or- Inverted "L" Antenna ? RHF Shortwave 5 November 6th 05 04:52 AM
WHY - The simple Random Wire Antenna is better than the Dipole Antenna for the Shortwave Listener (SWL) RHF Shortwave 15 September 13th 05 08:28 AM
significance of feedline orientation Brian Shortwave 6 October 22nd 04 01:43 AM
Antenna Advice Chris Shortwave 5 September 20th 04 02:04 AM