Old January 23rd 06, 03:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Avery W3AVE

Default Wanted: whip for Lowe HF-225 & advice on power supply

The 225 I just won on ebay turns out not to have the factory-supplied
whip, which I'd like to have because I like my radios to be complete
and because it might come in handy. Lowe no longer ships to the U.S.,
and I don't know anybody in G.B. who might ship it for me. Besides,
shipping probably would cost twice as much as the antenna.

Any ideas for a source?

The AC adapter also is missing. What's the best way to prevent a wall
wart from creating a hum problem, or should I just get a real power
supply (regulated, nonswitching)?

Thanks.

Old January 23rd 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On 23 Jan 2006 07:05:22 -0800, "Avery W3AVE"
wrote:

The 225 I just won on ebay turns out not to have the factory-supplied
whip, which I'd like to have because I like my radios to be complete
and because it might come in handy. Lowe no longer ships to the U.S.,
and I don't know anybody in G.B. who might ship it for me. Besides,
shipping probably would cost twice as much as the antenna.

Any ideas for a source?

Yeah.. Get a PL-259 and a piece of rod from the hardware store. Break
out that old 50 W soldering iron and go nuts.

Old January 23rd 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Avery W3AVE

Yup, I realized that's all I need to do when I saw a photo of the rear.
But I think I'll pull out one of my old Weller guns. More authentic for
a job like this.

Old January 23rd 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Avery W3AVE wrote:
The 225 I just won on ebay turns out not to have the factory-supplied
whip, which I'd like to have because I like my radios to be complete
and because it might come in handy. Lowe no longer ships to the U.S.,
and I don't know anybody in G.B. who might ship it for me. Besides,
shipping probably would cost twice as much as the antenna.

Any ideas for a source?

The AC adapter also is missing. What's the best way to prevent a wall
wart from creating a hum problem, or should I just get a real power
supply (regulated, nonswitching)?

Thanks.

Avery,

Look he http://www.grove-ent.com/ANT6.html

Les

Old January 23rd 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

www.ramseykits.com sells whip antennas for $14.95 You might find a
similar antenna from an old junk radio or even tv set whip or rabbit
ears antennas.
cuhulin

Old January 23rd 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Avery W3AVE

Perfect except for the BNC connector, but I might have a BNC
female/PL-259 adapter around. Thanks, Les.

Old January 23rd 06, 05:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Avery W3AVE

I've got plenty of whips around from junker radios I've dismantled over
the years, but I was hoping for an exact replacement.

Old January 23rd 06, 09:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Avery W3AVE

Is that all it was?

Old January 23rd 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
rkhalona

Avery W3AVE wrote:
Is that all it was?

For ham and commercial handie-talkies as well as hand-held scanners,
the Grove rugged, chrome, telescoping whip features a swivel BNC base,
allowing the whip to be used straight or turned to a right angle for
those special applications.
Adjustable length from 6" to 29" allows frequency optimization.
Quarter-wave resonance at VHF hi band, 3 dB gain or more over rubber
duckies at UHF. (Collapsed to 6" and straight, or extended to 29" and
swiveled 90 degrees).

Probably fine for VHF/UHF, but it may be too short for HF.

I also have an HF-225 (mine is the Europa version) and looked into this
a while back; I have not found an acceptable solution short of a
Miracle Whip antenna (a tunable 56" whip), which is expensive.

RK

Old January 23rd 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article .com,
"Avery W3AVE" wrote:

The 225 I just won on ebay turns out not to have the factory-supplied
whip, which I'd like to have because I like my radios to be complete
and because it might come in handy. Lowe no longer ships to the U.S.,
and I don't know anybody in G.B. who might ship it for me. Besides,
shipping probably would cost twice as much as the antenna.

Any ideas for a source?

The AC adapter also is missing. What's the best way to prevent a wall
wart from creating a hum problem, or should I just get a real power
supply (regulated, nonswitching)?

You want the power supply "wall wart" to be a linear regulator type that
uses a transformer and is bypassed for low noise.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California