Old February 7th 06, 09:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Joerg

Default WWV receiver

Hello Joel,

I think that Coilcraft, API-Delavan, Pulse, etc. would be surprised to hear
them. Although I'd grant you that you don't typically find many air coils in
mass-market consumer electronics anymore, they're still used all over the
place in industrial and military design... where I work we buy tens of
thousands of the things every year for radio receivers!

To imitate an old Volkswagen ad: Air doesn't saturate. Well, I guess it
does at some point but that's way past where ferrites and iron powders
do. Today many inductors in receivers are designed around iron powder
cores but when it comes to heavy-duty stuff air cores are the ticket.
Same for really high-Q tuning circuits.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com