Old January 25th 06, 11:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
SeeingEyeDog

Default Sony ICF-7600GR for $129

Sony 7600GR On sale
http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...sonicfsw7600gr

Use the money you saved over the ATS-909 and also buy the Sony AN-LP1 active
antenna.

Along with the 7600GR's Sync Detector for digging out weak signals the
addition of the AN-LP1 will blow the socks off the ATS-909 and anything else
it is price catagory.

Old January 26th 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Default ABOUT - The Sangean ATS-909 (RadioShack DX398) and the Sony ICF-SW7600GR Battery Power and Comsumption

Charly,

I have both the Sangean ATS-909 (RadioShack DX398) and the
Sony ICF-SW7600GR 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radios.

READ - About the Sangean ATS-909 / RadioShack DX-398
'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio / Receiver
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...e48ff9439a3c76

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...e677f0485110a3

Sangean ATS-909 - 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radios
http://www2.rnw.nl/rnw/en/features/m...rs/ats909.html
http://www.dxing.com/rx/ats818cs.htm
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/1909.html
Front View - Sangean ATS-909
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...le/1909frt.jpg
Rear View - Sangean ATS-909
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...e/1909rear.jpg
Left and Right Side Views - Sangean ATS-909
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...e/1909side.jpg
Check-Out the Radio Shack DX-398 / Sangean ATS-909 Group at YAHOO !

READ - About the Sony ICF-SW7600 / Sony ICF-SW7600G /
Sony ICF-SW7600GR AM/FM Shortwave Radio Information & Links
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...86e2c6735c3459

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...9eab932f60c76c

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...acbe683366a500
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...e0b141f462d88d
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...2212fb3f2301a5

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...ac24735bdffee3
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...c232b1c5d205ea
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...c4c12c1284c635

Setting-Up the Sony ICF-SW7600GR with the Select-A-Tenna
on a Lazy Susan for AM/MW DXing
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...d078c37631cae7

Combining the Sony ICF-SW7600GR and Sony AN-LP1
Active Shortwave Antenna = Two-are-Better-than-One !
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...71f5107eef0b02

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...abcc874e755ea2
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...e6204ae5d69cca
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...abcc874e755ea2

Using the Sony ICF-SW7600GR Radio with the Sony AN-LP1
Active Shortwave Loop Antenna - The combination-of-the-two
make for good Shortwave Listening (SWL) Traveling Companions.

Sony ICF-SW7600GR - 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radios
http://www2.rnw.nl/rnw/en/features/m...-sw7600gr.html

http://www.dxing.com/rx/icfsw760.htm
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0360.html
Front Diagram - Sony ICF-SW7600GR
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...le/0360frt.jpg
Controls Diagram - Sony ICF-SW7600GR
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...e/0360cont.jpg
Rear Diagram - Sony ICF-SW7600GR
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...e/0360back.jpg
LCD Diagram - Sony ICF-SW7600GR
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...le/0360lcd.jpg
Left and Right Side Views - Sony ICF-SW7600GR
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...ble/0360sv.jpg

Check-Out the two YAHOO Groups for Sony ICF-SW7600GR Owners.
* Sony ICF-SW7600 / G / GR eGroup
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/7600group/
* Sony ICF-SW7600GR eGroup
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/7600GR/

Battery Life :
I have not Timed them and Recorded the Battery Life of both Radios :
But my general impression is that the Sangean ATS-909 (RadioShack
DX398) sucks-up batteries faster then the Sony ICF-SW7600GR.

Question - Has anyone actually Timed the Sangean ATS-909
(RadioShack DX398) -vice- the Sony ICF-SW7600GR Side-by-Side ?

Re-Chargable Batteries :
In either case with most 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radios where
man-made-noise is an issue and the use of Batteries for Power is
recommended for improved receiption. Then the use of Rechargable
Batteries is highly recommended as a way of greatly reducing the
Cost of Battery Operation of the Radio.

just my two cents worth - iane ~ RHF
.
Tous Sont Bienvenus ! - - - Groupe par Radio
d'auditeur d'onde courte pour des Antennes de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Alle Sind Willkommen ! - - - Shortwave Radiozuhörer
Gruppe für SWL Antennen
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Tutti Sono Benvenuti ! - - - Gruppo Radiofonico
dell'ascoltatore di onda corta per le Antenne di SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Todos São Bem-vindos ! - - - Grupo de Rádio
do ouvinte do Shortwave para Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Все *адушны ! - - - Группа оператора
на приеме коротковолнового диапазона
Radio для Aнтенн SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
¡Todos Son Agradables! - - - Grupo de Radio del oyente
de la onda corta para las Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
= = = = = Translation = = = = =
All are Welcome - - - To Join the Shortwave Listeners
(SWL) Antenna Group on YAHOO !
.
.
.. .
Old January 26th 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

SED - I Would Agree ~ RHF

Combining the Sony ICF-SW7600GR 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave
Radio with Sony AN-LP1 Active Loop Shortwave Antenna
{ Yes - Two-are-Better-than-One ! }

Old January 26th 06, 03:15 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
D. Martin

Default Sangean ATS-909 vs. Sony ICF-7600GR

Well, I own Grundigs. I consider them to be very good products.
They package them under the name "Eton" these days...you know how
corporations consolidate.

I have owned a "909" Sangean, and would not reccomend it. The reasons
I didn't care for its performance are outlined in this thread, by other
writers.

If Grundig appeals to you at all, check out heartlandamerica.com

Darren

Old January 26th 06, 05:20 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I get those www.heartlandamerica.com email newsletters.I haven't
bought anything from them yet.I am saving up for a new RCA flat screen
wide screen tv set (about five hundred something dollars) now.
cuhulin

Old January 26th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

Hi Ngu,

If you're needing a fuller idea of the various features offered by each
of these sets, you might visit the radiolabs website and download the
user manuals for the '909 and 'SW7600GR:

http://www.radiolabs.com/support/downloads.php

junius

ngu wrote:
My experience with SW so far is limited to inexpensive analogue tuning
radio and a dirt cheap Kaide KK959.

I've decided to get something decent and have read quite a number of
reviews on Sangean ATS-909 and Sony ICF-7600GR on the web but am unable
to decide which one to buy.

The Sangean seems to have more features and better packaged (including
the AC adaptor) but costs about 1/3 more than the Sony. It is also larger.

Given the difference in price, do you guys think they are of different
class to render a comparison meanlingless? Like you don't compare a
Toyota Camry with a Mercedes S class, but you can do so with a Lexus LS430.

BTW, both the Sangean ATS-909 and Sony ICF-7600GR have been around since
2001. Should I wait for their replacement model?

Old January 26th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

rec.antiques.radio+phono news group.One of those guys over there,a few
weeks ago,posted his website/homepage about hot rodding an AARadio with
a better AM Ferrite core home made Antenna and lots more information
too.(something like that anyway) You can build just as good,or
better,Antenna than you can buy.I know this for a Fact.
cuhulin

Old January 27th 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
SeeingEyeDog

I tried the 7600 and was very disappointed in the sync function. It made
no discernible difference in reception. This may have been an isolated
situation, but I remember others complaining about the same thing.

A sync detector will make no difference when listening to a local
flame-thrower because it is not needed in that situation.

Try to listen to a barely perceptible flea power station and then turn on
the sync detector. That's what its for!
It is for DXing not flame-thrower program listening! Don't confuse the two.

Old January 30th 06, 04:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John

ngu wrote in :

My experience with SW so far is limited to inexpensive analogue tuning
radio and a dirt cheap Kaide KK959.

I have had the 909 since it came out and and I like it a lot back then I
was traveling alot and I wanted reliable information rather than the local
tv and music radio. I had been a ham back then too but did not have a
transmiter with me so I used the SSB portion of the radio to listem to the
hams chating ;-) ! I ran it off of batteries and had a long wire I droped
out of the hotel room window! Not the best setup but it worked!
John
Old January 30th 06, 11:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John Porter