Old January 26th 06, 11:52 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
James Douglas

Default Ultra Newbie Wants Help

Jeff wrote:
Well, I just bought my first SW receiver and I have very little
experience with listening to SW.

For a start, I am looking for a few higher-powered and good quality
stations to make sure everything is working properly and to set the
standard (for me) for decent reception. Can someone post a few of the
better stations, frequencies, and best listening times? I am located in
eastern Canada.

Thanks

Google is wonderful, download ShortWaveLog program, it has tons on good
information, you will have to spend a few minutes get it's data from
various sources but well worth the time and effort.

Old January 26th 06, 12:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I'll just list a few reliabe stationd
tat are usually heard without a problem on the East Coast of NA.
Hours are Local EST)

BBC 5975 khz. (evenings)
WBCQ Maine)
5110 khz (Evenings)
7415 khz) Late Afternoons & eves)
9330 khz. (eves

R. Havana Cuba
6000 khz (eves)

Also if you Gogle Primetime Shortwave they have
a regularly updated list of stations to download.

Hint : Depending on your receiver you can put your favorite frequencies
in memory so you can check them regularly.

Remember propagation may prevent you from receiving stations at some
times.

Charlie
Essex, Maryland

Old January 26th 06, 05:58 PM
Senior Member

Location: san francisco, ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Douglas
Jeff wrote:
For a start, I am looking for a few higher-powered and good quality
stations to make sure everything is working properly and to set the
standard (for me) for decent reception. Can someone post a few of the
better stations, frequencies, and best listening times? I am located in
eastern Canada.
Jeff:

Check http://www.primetimeshortwave.com/ for a comprehensive schedule (based on UTC, coordinated universal time).

Try WWV and WWVH:
5000 / 10000 / 15000 / 20000 khz. Lower frequencies at night, higher frequencies during the day.

Next I'd recommend learning what the broadcast bands are, and try scanning through them. On this Wikipedia page, see the section labeled ITU Frequency Allocation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shortwave

Good luck and let us know what you find. I'm also curious about which radio you have.
weatherall :: http://cobaltpet.blogspot.com/

THE ULTRA ADVANCED PSYCHOTRONIC MONEY MAGNET [email protected] Shortwave 1 February 23rd 05 04:04 AM
THE ULTRA ADVANCED PSYCHOTRONIC MONEY MAGNET [email protected] Antenna 0 February 22nd 05 03:27 PM
Newbie Quest's: Aero & Maritime Distress/Emerg. Freq's/Modes, Please ? Robert11 Shortwave 3 March 25th 04 05:40 AM
Newbie abr Homebrew 20 September 29th 03 04:07 PM
Newbie abr Homebrew 0 September 28th 03 06:46 PM