Old January 29th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Carter, K8VT

Default NASA "SuitSat"

wrote:

One of the strangest satellites in the history of the space age is
about to go into orbit. Launch date: Feb. 3rd. That's when
astronauts on board the International Space Station (ISS) will hurl
an empty spacesuit overboard. The spacesuit is the satellite --
"SuitSat" for short, and could be heard on 145.990 FM. Check its
position with NASA J-Pass tool.

Detail on
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...htm?list168132

You can download and use Orbitron software "Satellite Tracking
System" free of charge http://www.stoff.pl/

Have you ever used STS PLUS for satellite tracking and if so, how does
it compare to Orbitron? I used to use STS for MIR (2-way packet qso
QSLed), the "new" Sputnik of a few years ago (1-way QSLed) and tracking,
recording and decoding the telemetry on the DOVE satellite for one of
my kids' school science fairs. I liked STS a lot, but it hasn't been
updated since 2002 and it was a DOS program that almost, but never
quite, made peace with Windows.

With Orbitron, how easy do you find it is to update the keps (TLEs)? I
tried Orbitron when it first came out, but if I recall, there was a
problem or complication at the time for loading the TLEs.

BTW, if anyone wants to copy SuitSat, better do it soon after they toss
it out the window. Batteries will only be good for a week or so...