Old February 1st 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Ron Baker, Pluralitas!

Default sounds like teletype

"Josh" wrote in message
Hi,

Sometimes when I'm runing in stations with my grundig-fr200 radio I hear
something that sounds like teletype or really fast morse code. what is
this?

What frequencies?

--
rb

Old February 1st 06, 06:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

You are not even supposed to speak in code. Yet somehow, speaking in a
foreign language on repeaters is considered acceptable, though not by
me.

Ron Baker, Pluralitas! wrote:
"Telamon" wrote in message
In article . net,
(Jim Haynes) wrote:

Except for the amateur radio bands, there is very very little stuff
that sounds like teletype that is decodable these days. Most of what
you hear is synchronous and probably encrypted.

I'm not a ham and don't know the rules but it might be illegal for them
to use encryption. If this is not true I'm sure someone will correct my
speculation.

You are correct.
Hams are prohibited from sending coded communications.

--
rb

Old February 2nd 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

When webtv first came out,it was illegal to transport a webtv unit to
any foreign countries because of 128 bit encryption.Look it up.
cuhulin

Old February 3rd 06, 06:20 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Heck,better than that,,, just invent some kind of a language nobody has
ever heard of before and use that to email people.Change it entirely
every once in a while so as to keep fed govt on their toes.
cuhulin

Old February 5th 06, 07:01 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
clifto

running dogg wrote:
Anybody remember the fuss over PGP (Pretty Good Privacy), a freeware
encryption program that came out in the early days of the public
internet? The feds HATED it because they were afraid that high grade
encryption would fall into the hands of our enemies. It never caught on,
and the NSA likely cracked the code, so they stopped making a fuss about
it and now nobody remembers it.

I have always been suspicious since the time MIT (?) said, "you can't use
this version of it, but you can use this other version which is exactly
like the other version in every respect." Somehow I never believed the new
version was like the old version in every respect.