Old February 3rd 06, 08:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Questions to a (fairly) new newbie

Hello,

I used to "mess" around with Shortwave during my younger years. I made
a couple of crystal radios and picked up signals and such.

I am wanting to develope a more mature hobby. I need information as to
the best entry level equipment, current interferance woes, maybe wiring
diagrams for receivers and information on gianing a license.

I have really become disheartened by all the garbage on the radio and
satelite radio doesnt really attract me anymore and have a bit of
nostalgia hearing transmitions from around the world in the monourial,
tubed, warmth.

Anyways, let me know all the information you have.

Thanks!

Philip W. Wise

Old February 3rd 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
atomicthumbs

You don't need a license to listen to shortwave, you only need a
liscense to transmit as an amateur radio operator. A good entry-level
reciever is a Kaito KA-1101.
(http://www.surpluscomputers.com/stor...&item=CES10486)
No SSB, though, so broadcast signals only. One interference issue is
Broadband over Power Lines, which makes a huge amount of noise over the
entire shortwave spectrum.

Old February 3rd 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

How would I be able to get the Amateur Radio Operator license from the
FCC? When I worked a Radio Shack 10 years ago I remember they had test
books and other items there. Now, Radio Shack doesnt sell that many
Radios. As matter of fact they hardly sell any electronic components
that I used to use to make amps, power supplies/converters, etc. It is
really sad. Anyways. Thanks for that bit of info.

Old February 3rd 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I was able to get a hold of a KA-1103 with an amplified antenna that
someone wasnt using. It has Single Sideband. What the heck is that?
I googled it and it sounded like a VHF signal or similar to the one
that the weather alert is broadcasted on. Is that true?

Old February 4th 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Buzzygirl

wrote in message
oups.com...
How would I be able to get the Amateur Radio Operator license from the
FCC?

Assuming you're in the US, buy the "Now You're Talking!" book, study it, do
the practice quizzes and take the test. Many amateur radio clubs have
Volunteer Exam Coordinators who administer the exam. You can find a
directory by searching on your state:
http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/examsearch.phtml . Pass the 35 question,
multiple choice exam (which is really very easy). This will get you the
first license, the Technician license. No code required for this one,
although you're limited to frequencies above 30 MHz.

If you take another 35 question exam and pass a 5 words per minute code
test, you will have privileges to transmit on many more frequencies with the
General license. The exam is more in-depth than the Technician exam, but
still not too hard (IMO).

The Extra license is the highest you can go. You get privileges on all
amateur radio frequencies by passing another written exam; this one is 50
questions, still multiple choice, but a lot more in-depth than the previous
two exams.

Check out "Where do I Start?" he http://www.arrl.org/hamradio.html

And you can get "Now You're Talking" from the ARRL or any major bookseller:
http://www.arrl.org/catalog/lm/

Enjoy and hope you go for it. Amateur radio's a lot of fun.

Jackie

Old February 4th 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
an_old_friend

Buzzygirl wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The FCC is currently in the processof revising the rule to elimate the
code test

so My advice (and it has been my advice for years despite being
Nocoder) is try the code stuff if you show amuch talent for it try it
right out otherwise spend a couple of months exploreing your tech class
prevledges

Old February 4th 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Whenever you get some spare time,practice doing some CW/Morse Code.
cuhulin