Old February 8th 06, 01:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

Default Par Electronics EF-SWL Antenna

Hello folks,

I have a question here... I recently bought one of these excellent Par
Electronic EF-SWL antennas.

As the supplied radiator can be disconnected and another wire be hooked
onto the 9:1 transformer, I was thinking to give a go at hooking up a
150 foot length of wire that I have on hand. My question is this: in
hooking up an alternate wire to the transformer, would the antenna lose
its characteristics as a 1-30 MHz antenna? Would an antenna tuner then
be required?

Very curious for info on this. I'm afraid I don't know too terribly
much about antenna theory.

Thanks in advance for any help provided,

Junius

Old February 8th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Robert11

Hi,

Give Dale P. a call at PAR.
He's been really good about answering questions.

But, please also post his answers here, so we all can learn.

I'm about to buy one also.

Bob

-------------------
ups.com...

Old February 8th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On 7 Feb 2006 17:02:28 -0800, "junius" wrote:

Hello folks,

I have a question here... I recently bought one of these excellent Par
Electronic EF-SWL antennas.

As the supplied radiator can be disconnected and another wire be hooked
onto the 9:1 transformer, I was thinking to give a go at hooking up a
150 foot length of wire that I have on hand. My question is this: in
hooking up an alternate wire to the transformer, would the antenna lose
its characteristics as a 1-30 MHz antenna? Would an antenna tuner then
be required?

Very curious for info on this. I'm afraid I don't know too terribly
much about antenna theory.

Thanks in advance for any help provided,

Junius

What kind of receiver?

Old February 8th 06, 01:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/0562.html

Old February 8th 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

David wrote:

On 7 Feb 2006 17:02:28 -0800, "junius" wrote:

Hello folks,

I have a question here... I recently bought one of these excellent Par
Electronic EF-SWL antennas.

As the supplied radiator can be disconnected and another wire be hooked
onto the 9:1 transformer, I was thinking to give a go at hooking up a
150 foot length of wire that I have on hand. My question is this: in
hooking up an alternate wire to the transformer, would the antenna lose
its characteristics as a 1-30 MHz antenna? Would an antenna tuner then
be required?

Very curious for info on this. I'm afraid I don't know too terribly
much about antenna theory.

Thanks in advance for any help provided,

Junius

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/0562.html

Far to expensive for what it does (and doesn't).

Stick with the wire.

And for what it's worth, it's best to avoid products by RF Systems.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old February 8th 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

http://www.bwantennas.com/

Old February 8th 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

It would help to know the exact model, but from what I could see from
the website, this is similar to the Palomar end-feed baluns, though you
can transmit on the Par Electronics version. The performance should be
similar to a long wire, but more efficient since the transformer will
improve the match.

Since you are not transmitting, more wire will probably improve the low
end reception, though most of those ham baluns don't work well in the
AM BCB or lower.

Old February 8th 06, 05:01 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article . com,
"junius" wrote:

Hello folks,

I have a question here... I recently bought one of these excellent Par
Electronic EF-SWL antennas.

As the supplied radiator can be disconnected and another wire be hooked
onto the 9:1 transformer, I was thinking to give a go at hooking up a
150 foot length of wire that I have on hand. My question is this: in
hooking up an alternate wire to the transformer, would the antenna lose
its characteristics as a 1-30 MHz antenna? Would an antenna tuner then
be required?

Very curious for info on this. I'm afraid I don't know too terribly
much about antenna theory.

Thanks in advance for any help provided,

Just give it a try and see if it works well for you.

The impedance of the wire is determined by its diameter and height above
ground not the length. The 9:1 UNUN is a good choice.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old February 8th 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Dale Parfitt

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article . com,
"junius" wrote:

[...]

Hi Junius et al,

There is no magic about the 45' length. It is a nice tradeoff between
performance and ease of deployment. The military also had a bit of a say so.
Anyway, the transformer looks good to well below MW, so that is not an
issue.
The longer length, as one poster suggested, will improve MW performance. If
the antenna is high (in terms of wavelength) a number of nulls (in addition
to multiple gain lobes) will be seen at HF. Neither is very useful as the
antenna cannot be rotated.
Some receivers may overload with the increased signal strength from MW.

One of ther nice features of this antenna is the fact that both secondary
( antenna side) and primary ( coaxial feed side) grounds are separately
available on 10-32 stainless studs at the matchbox. They come supplied from
us with the two grounds strapped together. This may or may not be the
optimum configuration for your location and noise sources- experimenting
with the grounding, as detailed in the manual may make a much bigger
difference in S/N than increasing the wire length.

GL,

Dale W4OP
for PAR Electronics, Inc.

Passive Repeater Bryan Martin Antenna 13 February 10th 06 02:03 PM
The Long and Thin Vertical Loop Antenna. [ The Non-Resonance Vertical with a Difference ] RHF Shortwave 0 December 27th 05 06:03 PM
Grounding Steve Rabinowitz Shortwave 31 December 14th 05 05:26 AM
WHY - The simple Random Wire Antenna is better than the Dipole Antenna for the Shortwave Listener (SWL) RHF Shortwave 15 September 13th 05 08:28 AM
Yaesu FT-857D questions Joe S. Equipment 6 October 25th 04 09:40 AM