Old February 9th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
DeWayne

Default LF Engineering H-800 Antenna - Again

I live in a townhouse. My best antenna is my rain gutter. I was not familiar
with the H-800 until the recent thread. My location is somewhat noisy. Is it
reasonable to assume that I would be able to find a fairly quiet location
inside my home for the H-800 since it is so compact and could easily be
moved around my home to find a possible quiet location? I would like to try
one on my Icom R75 but the antenna is not cheap. I don't think dealers
normally accept returns on antennas.

Old February 9th 06, 04:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

There are quite a few DIY projects on building active whips. They are
quite simple, though some people freak out when it comes to inductors.

Even more compact than an amplified whip would be something like the
Quantom ferrite loops. They are not as quite as a large aperture
antenna like the wellbrook, but they are quite good for something you
can put on a desktop.

http://www.dxtools.com/
http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/dow...mz2006W-15.pdf
http://www.palomar-engineers.com/Loo...p_antenna.html

The only one I've seen used first hand is the Quantum. The null is
decent.

Old February 9th 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Mark S. Holden

DeWayne wrote:
I live in a townhouse. My best antenna is my rain gutter. I was not familiar
with the H-800 until the recent thread. My location is somewhat noisy. Is it
reasonable to assume that I would be able to find a fairly quiet location
inside my home for the H-800 since it is so compact and could easily be
moved around my home to find a possible quiet location? I would like to try
one on my Icom R75 but the antenna is not cheap. I don't think dealers
normally accept returns on antennas.

The advantages of an H800 over a garden variety active whip seem to be a
cleaner amplifier and extra dynamic range. But it'll still do a
beautiful job of picking up a nearby lamp dimmer.

I think you could predict if it'll work for you with any active whip you
might have or care to cobble together with $5 of parts from Radio Shaft.
A portable mw radio tuned to a dead spot on the dial might also let
you sniff for a quiet zone.

If you do get an H800, spring for the extra $20 for bnc connectors on
the antenna end so you can replace the coax when it dies.

Someone else suggested the Quantum loop. I use one at my office with an
HRB HW1390A receiver for MW reception. (it's a challenging location) I
don't think the Quantum is rated for much beyond 2mhz. But if you want
MW, the Quantum is a good choice.

Old February 9th 06, 12:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Welcome back RHF!

Old February 9th 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Dale Parfitt

wrote in message
ups.com...
I think the idea is that, if you disguise the H-800 as part of a
satellite antenna, no one from your Homeowner's Association will hassle
you over it.

Steve

Got it- thanks,

Dale W4OP

Old February 9th 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

First time I have ever heard of that one before,about using a satellite
dish antenna with a radio antenna.(you sure it won't pick up tv or ET?)
The idea is unique and ufonious though.
cuhulin

Old February 9th 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Or, for that matter, it might just be so inconspicuous that no one
notices/complains, even if it is clear that it's not TV-related. Clamp
it onto a ventilation pipe on the roof and I'll bet no one would ever
even notice. A chimney might also work. Maybe even a near by tree. The
H-800 can also be oriented horizontally, which opens up some additional
possibilities.

Old February 9th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

It is reallyhard to get high bandwidth with ferrite based loops. But
they are compact.

The Wellbrook gets you wide bandwidth, but you really need at least a
meter in diameter for the wellbrook to shine.

Old February 9th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
HFguy

DeWayne wrote:
I live in a townhouse. My best antenna is my rain gutter. I was not familiar
with the H-800 until the recent thread. My location is somewhat noisy. Is it
reasonable to assume that I would be able to find a fairly quiet location
inside my home for the H-800 since it is so compact and could easily be
moved around my home to find a possible quiet location? I would like to try
one on my Icom R75 but the antenna is not cheap. I don't think dealers
normally accept returns on antennas.

I don't think you would have a problem returning a whip antenna to
'Grove', provided all the packaging and literature are included. They
have a good return policy.

I Want Another Antenna Lenny Shortwave 4 January 23rd 06 10:12 PM
Question is 'it' a Longwire {Random Wire} Antenna -or- Inverted "L" Antenna ? RHF Shortwave 5 November 6th 05 04:52 AM
The "Almost" Delta Loop Antenna for Limited Space Shortwave Listening (SWL) made from TV 'type' Parts RHF Shortwave 0 October 16th 05 12:34 PM
LongWire Antenna Jim B Shortwave 5 March 2nd 04 09:36 AM
Outdoor Antenna and lack of intermod Soliloquy Scanner 11 October 11th 03 01:36 AM