RadioBanter

-   -   "Non-breakable" RCA radio ad ~1950s (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/88271-non-breakable-rca-radio-ad-%7E1950s.html)

junius February 11th 06 09:55 PM

"Non-breakable" RCA radio ad ~1950s

http://www.roadode.com/shop_1.shtml (left column, bottom)

[email protected] February 11th 06 10:17 PM

"Non-breakable" RCA radio ad ~1950s

Anything is breakable.Broken hearts break all the time.
Hearrrts made of stoneee,,,,, will neverrrr breakkkk,,,,,,,,
cuhulin

[email protected] February 11th 06 10:19 PM

"Non-breakable" RCA radio ad ~1950s

Bottom right,,,, that reminds me,I need to clean my refrigerator out
really really bad.
cuhulin

Sanjaya February 11th 06 11:35 PM

"Non-breakable" RCA radio ad ~1950s

"junius" wrote in message
oups.com...

http://www.roadode.com/shop_1.shtml (left column, bottom)

"Of course, a tube might jar loose..."

Good link junius, thanks.

running dogg February 12th 06 03:57 AM

"Non-breakable" RCA radio ad ~1950s

Sanjaya wrote:

"junius" wrote in message
oups.com...

http://www.roadode.com/shop_1.shtml (left column, bottom)

"Of course, a tube might jar loose..."

Good link junius, thanks.

I have a Zenith 500 series transistor radio (500E, I think) that says
"unbreakable nylon" on the back. Of course, it has a crack. Hey, isn't
nylon what pantyhose is made out of? I guess if you squash together
10,000 Leggs, you get a transistor radio case.

[email protected] February 12th 06 05:39 AM

"Non-breakable" RCA radio ad ~1950s

Haven't we all seen Diamonds being cut with a little hammer and a little
sharp tool thingy? I have,several times before on tv.
cuhulin

Frank Dresser February 12th 06 05:42 AM

"running dogg" wrote in message

I have a Zenith 500 series transistor radio (500E, I think) that says
"unbreakable nylon" on the back. Of course, it has a crack. Hey, isn't
nylon what pantyhose is made out of? I guess if you squash together
10,000 Leggs, you get a transistor radio case.

That was the same era in which vinyl LPs were also labeled as "unbreakable".
In comparision with the shellac 78s, the term wasn't such a stretch.
Similarly, other manufacturer's plastic radios at the time were either
balkelite or fragile polystyrene. Tougher hard plastics such as ABS didn't
come around until the 60s.

Zenith made some high quality portables. Here's a link:

http://www.transistor-repairs.com/ze...orhistory.html

This is from:

http://www.transistor-repairs.com/

Frank Dresser

running dogg February 14th 06 12:16 AM

"Non-breakable" RCA radio ad ~1950s

wrote:

I also own a Zenith 500 radio and many other Zenith transistor radios
and Zenith tube type radios.I used to tote a little Hitachi transistor
radio in my shirt pocket when I was in Vietnam.I bought the radio at the
Scott Air Force Base,Illinois Exchange store before I went to ammo
school at Fort Knox,Kentucky and then to Vietnam.That Hitachi was a
great little radio too.Somebody cut into my duffle bag and stole that
little Hitachi radio and my Canon camera that I had bought at the
U.S.Commisary store in Cholon (Cholon,the Chinese section of Saigon) and
most of my photos I took with that camera in Vienam and some other
things of mine including a silk jacket with an embroided sign (I wont
tell y'all what the sign said) on the back of it that I had Saigon
Tailors make for me.I paid $11.00 for that jacket,I bet it is worth a
pretty penny nowdays.
cuhulin

I heard of a guy who lugged a transistor Transoceanic around during his
time in Nam.

[email protected] February 14th 06 12:50 AM

"Non-breakable" RCA radio ad ~1950s

There were a lot of guys over there who had radios.Most of them kept
their radios in their barracks area.When I toted my radio in my shirt
pocket,I kept it inside of a piece of plastic like saran wrap because I
was always sweating day and night from the heat and humidity.I couldn't
sleep without my little electric fan I bought at a store.Sometimes one
of the generators would go off when somebody was switching over from one
to the other and I would wake up.
cuhulin

chevyorange February 14th 06 03:56 PM

"Non-breakable" RCA radio ad ~1950s

Man, that is a complete stinker, cuhulin. I would have been livid or
sick or both.

Did it happen during transit and it was just out of your hands or was
it even more sneaky? I'd break someone's neck.

If you don't mind me asking, when were you in country?