Old February 11th 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

Default "Non-breakable" RCA radio ad ~1950s

http://www.roadode.com/shop_1.shtml (left column, bottom)

Old February 11th 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Anything is breakable.Broken hearts break all the time.
Hearrrts made of stoneee,,,,, will neverrrr breakkkk,,,,,,,,
cuhulin

Old February 11th 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bottom right,,,, that reminds me,I need to clean my refrigerator out
really really bad.
cuhulin

Old February 11th 06, 11:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Sanjaya

"junius" wrote in message
oups.com...

http://www.roadode.com/shop_1.shtml (left column, bottom)

"Of course, a tube might jar loose..."

Good link junius, thanks.

Old February 12th 06, 03:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
running dogg

Sanjaya wrote:

"junius" wrote in message
oups.com...

http://www.roadode.com/shop_1.shtml (left column, bottom)

"Of course, a tube might jar loose..."

Good link junius, thanks.

I have a Zenith 500 series transistor radio (500E, I think) that says
"unbreakable nylon" on the back. Of course, it has a crack. Hey, isn't
nylon what pantyhose is made out of? I guess if you squash together
10,000 Leggs, you get a transistor radio case.

Old February 12th 06, 05:39 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Haven't we all seen Diamonds being cut with a little hammer and a little
sharp tool thingy? I have,several times before on tv.
cuhulin

Old February 12th 06, 05:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Frank Dresser

"running dogg" wrote in message

I have a Zenith 500 series transistor radio (500E, I think) that says
"unbreakable nylon" on the back. Of course, it has a crack. Hey, isn't
nylon what pantyhose is made out of? I guess if you squash together
10,000 Leggs, you get a transistor radio case.

That was the same era in which vinyl LPs were also labeled as "unbreakable".
In comparision with the shellac 78s, the term wasn't such a stretch.
Similarly, other manufacturer's plastic radios at the time were either
balkelite or fragile polystyrene. Tougher hard plastics such as ABS didn't
come around until the 60s.

Zenith made some high quality portables. Here's a link:

http://www.transistor-repairs.com/ze...orhistory.html

This is from:

Old February 14th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

There were a lot of guys over there who had radios.Most of them kept
their radios in their barracks area.When I toted my radio in my shirt
pocket,I kept it inside of a piece of plastic like saran wrap because I
was always sweating day and night from the heat and humidity.I couldn't
sleep without my little electric fan I bought at a store.Sometimes one
of the generators would go off when somebody was switching over from one
to the other and I would wake up.
cuhulin

Old February 14th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
chevyorange

Man, that is a complete stinker, cuhulin. I would have been livid or
sick or both.

Did it happen during transit and it was just out of your hands or was
it even more sneaky? I'd break someone's neck.

If you don't mind me asking, when were you in country?