Old February 12th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
http://www.lookaboutusa.com/

Default Dx Amazing conditions

ZERO sunspots for about the 12th day running makes this the longest
dry spell since the last lowest count in the last sunspot cycle 10 or
so years ago.

Amazing conditions for those interested in Dxing the AM broadcast band
with many long diastnace stations heard , even in the day time !

Currently in Australia the maximum SW usable frequency is about 15Mhz
during the day and at night time it drops to about 9mhz.

Old February 13th 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article OrWHf.3509$lG.857@trndny01, HFguy
wrote:

http://www.lookaboutusa.com/ wrote:
ZERO sunspots for about the 12th day running makes this the longest
dry spell since the last lowest count in the last sunspot cycle 10 or
so years ago.

Amazing conditions for those interested in Dxing the AM broadcast band
with many long diastnace stations heard , even in the day time !

Currently in Australia the maximum SW usable frequency is about 15Mhz
during the day and at night time it drops to about 9mhz.

I find it hard to believe that the MUF is only 15-Mhz during the day in
Australia. Maybe you are referring to the 'vertical incident' MUF which
is always lower than the practical MUF for long distance propagation.
The MUF has been at least 17-Mhz in the USA, where the length of the
days and the altitude of the sun are much less than Australia at this
time of year. I can still receive some stations on 21-Mhz during the
daytime in the northeast US, so I don't see how it could be only 15-Mhz
in Australia where the current seasonal conditions favor a higher MUF.
What stations have you tried to hear above 15-Mhz?

Yes, the 17 MHz band has been very good for me from the at least
southern part of the east coast USA, central and south America. The 21
MHz band has been very weak for the season to anywhere so the long
distance daytime MUF should fall somewhere between 17,900 to 21,450 KHz
according to my reception.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California