Old February 18th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

Default Anyone ever use a Magnavox Philips D2999 ???

In article . com,
"junius" wrote:

John S. wrote:

Several years ago, but they are a delightful radio to use and more
importantly listen to. If you get a chance go for one...you will be
amazed at how good shortwave broadcasts can sound.

Indeed, this radio is for the program listener who wants to give
his/her ears a rest from the ol' headphones. Panasonic,
Philips/Magnavox and Grundig made quite a number of nice sounding
receivers during the 1980's. The D2999 was one of the best in this
regard. As I recall, it was described by some reviewer or another as
the poor man's Satellit 650 (the Satellit 650 retailed around $1000 in
its day).

My radios directly drive passive bookshelf speakers from Radio shack or
circuit city as examples. Simple as can be as most radios have a speaker
jack and they sound great.

These days I am using Sony speakers, which have a 4.5 inch speaker and a
tweeter in them. They were about $20 each.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old February 18th 06, 03:45 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
mike maghakian

its a nice radio but over rated. the sound is no where near that of the
Satellit 600, and the performance is no where near the Sony 6800 orange. I
think that even the Panasonic RF-2900 sounds better on shortwave. and on FM
my upgraded satellit 800 sounds better.

I have one in my collection and I don't think it lives up to the legendary
status it has obtained.

it is a very impressive radio to look at though !

"Michael" wrote in message
news
Has anyone ever used a Magnavox Philips D2999. I've heard a lot of good
things about them, but hardly ever seem them up for auction. Seems to be
a good example on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Magnavox-Philips...ayphotohosting

Comments on the radio's performance ???
--
Respectfully,

Michael

Location: NJ
Primary Radio: ICOM IC-R75 (full Kiwa mods)
Antennas: G5RV & 200ft "Frankenstein" Roof Wire
Additional Radios: Icom IC-PCR1000,
Sony 7600GR, Grundig YB400,
Tecsun PL-550, Kaito KA1101, Kaito KA1102
GE SR-III, Westinghouse H-104 (seven tube)

Old February 18th 06, 05:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

Right, one shouldn't expect the audio quality of a Satellit 600/650
w/the D2999. The RF-2900 comment is interesting, though. I have to
say that I have a soft spot for the RF-2900 and 2600, myself, despite
the drift on these models.
In terms of size, layout, and technology/features, I guess the
Panasonic RF-B600 would be the radio which would be most reasonably
placed in the D2999's peer group. I've never owned an RF-B600. I've
wondered how it would stack up against the D2999, though...

Old February 18th 06, 08:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
mike maghakian

you didn't read my second post that I meant the B600 which should have been
obvious by the context of the messages.

"John S." wrote in message
oups.com...

mike maghakian wrote:
Ranier Lichte in his review book said it was not a very good radio

"junius" wrote in message
oups.com...
Right, one shouldn't expect the audio quality of a Satellit 600/650
w/the D2999. The RF-2900 comment is interesting, though. I have to
say that I have a soft spot for the RF-2900 and 2600, myself, despite
the drift on these models.
In terms of size, layout, and technology/features, I guess the
Panasonic RF-B600 would be the radio which would be most reasonably
placed in the D2999's peer group. I've never owned an RF-B600. I've
wondered how it would stack up against the D2999, though...

And yet Boesch, Universal Radio and Eham give it quite high marks.

Old February 19th 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

wrote:
High Marks isn't written in stone,far from it,in fact.I own a Panasonic
RF-600 AM/FM/Shortwave radio
www.google.com DXing.com Panasonic
Radios I bought it brand new about 25 years ago at a Service
Merchandise store.Straight out of the box,that radio drifts like
crazy,tune it to a station and you can see that tuning knob move counter
clockwise about one eighth of an inch or more all by itself every single
time,I used to stick a thin piece of cardboard like a calling card
between the metal ring on the tuning knob and the plastic cabinet to
help hold the radio on station.And not long after I bought the radio,the
earphone jack worked loose all by itself,I never have used that earphone
jack before.The only way I can get the radio to turn on,light up and
work is to stick a little thin piece of plastic wedge between the metal
outer body of the earphone jack and the plastic cabinet.I do not give
High Marks to that radio at all.Frankly,Panasonic radios never have
impressed me as far as quality is concerned,especially build quality.Of
course it could be my Panasonic RF-600 radio I bought turned out to be a
Lemon.Humph! GPX Radios are better than Panasonic radios,in my opinion.
cuhulin

I don't know about yours, but on mine if you tune to a frequency and
press freq lock it stays dead on that frequency. The tendency to sift
up or down by 100hz seems to settle down at least on mine after about
10 minutes.

The original retail price on those radios was ridiculous...something
like $600.00, which would have gotten you close to the price of a
Kenwood R5000!!. At a price of $200.00 or so they provide pretty good
performance for the money in my experience. The filters both wide and
narrow are much better quality than those found on many portatops.

Old February 19th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

Hardly obvious since the thread dealt with another radio.

mike maghakian wrote:
you didn't read my second post that I meant the B600 which should have been
obvious by the context of the messages.

"John S." wrote in message
oups.com...

mike maghakian wrote:
Ranier Lichte in his review book said it was not a very good radio

oups.com...

Old February 19th 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
mike maghakian

I put some radios to the test for sound quality

the RF-2900 with one of my upgraded filters
the D2999
my satellit 800 with special upgraded filter as described on my web site

the surprising results are that the 800 sounded a LOT better than either of
the others !!

much smoother and fuller sounding and less noise !

Old February 19th 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
mike maghakian

that is a typo, I meant 800 speaker, the filters are stock

the link is : http://home.comcast.net/~maghakian/sat800.htm

Old February 19th 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

Cuhulin, you had in a previous thread mentioned having a Panasonic
RF-2600, right? Is this what you're referring to? Or are you
referring to the Panasonic RF-B600? The RF-2600 had its issues with
drift, as did the RF-2800/2900.

Old February 19th 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Someone previous to me mentioned Panasonic.My Panasonic AM/FM/Shortwave
radio I own,I only thought I would throw my two cents in regarding my
Panasonic radio.
cuhulin