Old February 19th 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Somebody Somewhere

Default Anyone ever use a Magnavox Philips D2999 ???

Michael wrote:
Has anyone ever used a Magnavox Philips D2999. I've heard a lot of good
things about them, but hardly ever seem them up for auction. Seems to be a
good example on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Magnavox-Philips...ayphotohosting

Comments on the radio's performance ???
--
Respectfully,

Michael

Location: NJ
Primary Radio: ICOM IC-R75 (full Kiwa mods)
Antennas: G5RV & 200ft "Frankenstein" Roof Wire
Additional Radios: Icom IC-PCR1000,
Sony 7600GR, Grundig YB400,
Tecsun PL-550, Kaito KA1101, Kaito KA1102
GE SR-III, Westinghouse H-104 (seven tube)

I have a D2999. It's generally a nice rx for broadcast listening, very
nice sound, easy to operate, well built. But it can't compete with,
say, the Sony 2010 for sensitivity and DX performance. You can hear SSB
stations, but the BFO is not as good as a true SSB product detector.
But, as I said, the D2999 is a very pleasant radio for broadcast
listening. In fact, it would probably be my favorite portable if only
it had a synchronous AM detector and a carying handle (I hate those
stupid carrying straps!). I also wish the display lamp were a lot
brighter.

This thread has some comments about Panasonic portables. Never owned an
RFB-600, but I did have an RFB-65, which was a very nice radio,
probably the best built portable I ever had. Performance was
acceptable, but again, no synchronous detector.

Old February 19th 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 11:38:34 -0600, wrote:

Someone previous to me mentioned Panasonic.My Panasonic AM/FM/Shortwave
radio I own,I only thought I would throw my two cents in regarding my
Panasonic radio.
cuhulin

I have an RF-B45. Like a rock.

Old February 19th 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Sitting behind my kitchen door,in my den/junkroom is a big rounded top
solid wood "radio".It is very thick and heavy and unpainted.It is about
the thickness and height (or a little larger) of a one gallon jar and
about one and a half times the width of a one gallon jar if the jar was
laying down on it's side.It has solid wood "knobs" attatched to the
"radio".I bought it at a Goodwill store about ten years ago.I never do
have any problems with that "radio"
cuhulin

Old February 19th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
rkhalona

Somebody Somewhere wrote:

I have a D2999. It's generally a nice rx for broadcast listening, very
nice sound, easy to operate, well built. But it can't compete with,
say, the Sony 2010 for sensitivity and DX performance. You can hear SSB
stations, but the BFO is not as good as a true SSB product detector.
But, as I said, the D2999 is a very pleasant radio for broadcast
listening. In fact, it would probably be my favorite portable if only
it had a synchronous AM detector and a carying handle (I hate those
stupid carrying straps!). I also wish the display lamp were a lot
brighter.

My Philips D2999 does have a carrying handle. Did you mean its little
brother, the D2935, which did come
with a carrying strap, a la Sony 2010?

RK

Old February 20th 06, 12:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

Well, I would be surprised if you didn't find better sound quality in
the Sat 800. Three nicely chosen bandwidths, synchronous selectable
sideband, etc translate into a better capability in handling incoming
signals (what, we're pitting a 1980's Philips/Magnavox portable against
the technology of the following decade's Drake SW8!). Couple that with
even the stock speaker of the Sat 800, and I would expect a better
sounding radio than the D2999.

Hey, I very much like my D2999, and I will praise its virtues; it truly
IS a nice radio for program listening, in my opinion. But make no
mistake, I prefer my Drake SW8 w/selectable sync!

junius

mike maghakian wrote:
I put some radios to the test for sound quality

the RF-2900 with one of my upgraded filters
the D2999
my satellit 800 with special upgraded filter as described on my web site

the surprising results are that the 800 sounded a LOT better than either of
the others !!

much smoother and fuller sounding and less noise !

news

Old February 20th 06, 03:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Somebody Somewhere

rkhalona wrote:
Somebody Somewhere wrote:

I have a D2999. It's generally a nice rx for broadcast listening, very
nice sound, easy to operate, well built. But it can't compete with,
say, the Sony 2010 for sensitivity and DX performance. You can hear SSB
stations, but the BFO is not as good as a true SSB product detector.
But, as I said, the D2999 is a very pleasant radio for broadcast
listening. In fact, it would probably be my favorite portable if only
it had a synchronous AM detector and a carying handle (I hate those
stupid carrying straps!). I also wish the display lamp were a lot
brighter.

My Philips D2999 does have a carrying handle. Did you mean its little
brother, the D2935, which did come
with a carrying strap, a la Sony 2010?

RK

Yes. I'm sorry, I left my brain in the other room today. What was I
thinking? It's a D2935 that I have right now, not a D2999!!! This is
what happens when one owns too many radios.

However, I once played with a D2999, and found it to be an excellent
radio. But no synchronous detector.

I apologize for any confusion I may have caused.

Old February 20th 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

http://cgi.ebay.com/Magnavox-Philips...ayphotohosting

Hmmm, so the winner is payin' $635 for this D2999.

Old February 20th 06, 07:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Default Record Price for a 'used' Philips Magnavox D2999 General Coverage Receiver

For One and All,

ABOUT - The Philips Magnavox D2999 General Coverage
'portable' {Port-a-Top} Communications Receiver
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...83533badc431db

NOTE - Recently a Philips Magnavox D2999 Radio
"Sold" on eBay (UK) for US $216.65 with Eleven (11) Bids.

PLUS - Another Philips Magnavox D2999 Radio
http://www.rffun.com/used/sold136.html
was Sold-By Universal-Radio . Com - Price $599.95

With 54 Bids and a Closing Price of $635 the eBay
Seller must be very happy.

The Modern Shortwave Radio Survey gives a 'used'
Price Range of $275-400 for the Philips Magnavox
D2999 General Coverage Receiver.
http://www.dxing.com/rx/d2935.htm
The eBay Auction Listing description made this
Philips Magnavox D2999 General Coverage Radio
sound like it was in 'nearly' "Mint" Condition.

The last few Bidders would most likely be Collectors
considering the Prices that they were Bidding for this
Philips Magnavox D2999 General Coverage Radio.

hope the seller and buyer are both happy ~ RHF