Old February 18th 06, 07:23 PM
Senior Member

Location: san francisco, ca
Question 15580 khz @ 1905 UTC, doesn't sound like VOA

I'm receiving 15580 khz at 1905 UTC. I checked primetimeshortwave.com and hfradio.org, and they both list this as a Voice of America frequency during that time. But what I'm hearing sounds more like a hip-hop radio station that one might find on FM. A guy is interviewing a singer and playing her songs. I'd say the SIO code is 544, and I'm based in northern California. I'll keep listening for a station id. Anyone know what this broadcast is?
__________________
weatherall :: http://cobaltpet.blogspot.com/
Old February 18th 06, 08:16 PM
Senior Member

Location: san francisco, ca
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherall
...I checked primetimeshortwave.com and hfradio.org, and they both list this as a Voice of America frequency during that time. ...
Well, I should have believed them I guess. I never heard any kind of id during the music program, 1905-2000 UTC. But after it was over, there was a VOA id: "Africa service of the Voice of America," along with the fact that Nightline Africa was on next.

That music program was the most interesting thing I've heard from VOA so far.
__________________
weatherall :: http://cobaltpet.blogspot.com/
Old February 18th 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

Default 15580 khz @ 1905 UTC, doesn't sound like VOA

weatherall wrote:

I'm receiving 15580 khz at 1905 UTC. I checked primetimeshortwave.com
and hfradio.org, and they both list this as a Voice of America
frequency during that time. But what I'm hearing sounds more like a
hip-hop radio station that one might find on FM. A guy is interviewing
a singer and playing her songs. I'd say the SIO code is 544, and I'm
based in northern California. I'll keep listening for a station id.
Anyone know what this broadcast is?

Voice of America

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old February 18th 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article ,
weatherall wrote:

weatherall Wrote:
...I checked primetimeshortwave.com and hfradio.org, and they both list
this as a Voice of America frequency during that time. ...

Well, I should have believed them I guess. I never heard any kind of
id during the music program, 1905-2000 UTC. But after it was over,
there was a VOA id: "Africa service of the Voice of America," along
with the fact that Nightline Africa was on next.

That music program was the most interesting thing I've heard from VOA
so far.

Just sticking with a program you can usually figure it out. Most
stations will ID on the hour. Other convenient times are when a program
segment ends in 10, 15, 20 and 30 minutes.

Another way to identify a station is most have for lack of a better word
"bumper music," regular announcements, bird calls and the like that you
can use to identify them when they are in another language you don't
understand.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old February 18th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
running dogg

weatherall wrote:

weatherall Wrote:
...I checked primetimeshortwave.com and hfradio.org, and they both list
this as a Voice of America frequency during that time. ...

Well, I should have believed them I guess. I never heard any kind of
id during the music program, 1905-2000 UTC. But after it was over,
there was a VOA id: "Africa service of the Voice of America," along
with the fact that Nightline Africa was on next.

That music program was the most interesting thing I've heard from VOA
so far.

Yep, VOA mostly plays music nowadays, and soon that will be disappearing
too. Music is far cheaper than producing actual programming. Also, the
US doesn't have a domestic radio service from which the VOA can draw
programming, like RCI does with CBC radio. US radio consists of music on
FM, and conservative talk on AM. What news stations exist are local in
scope. In short, since nobody is willing to give IBB any money, they are
forced to resort to playing music.

Old February 18th 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 19:23:02 +0000, weatherall
wrote:

I'm receiving 15580 khz at 1905 UTC. I checked primetimeshortwave.com
and hfradio.org, and they both list this as a Voice of America
frequency during that time. But what I'm hearing sounds more like a
hip-hop radio station that one might find on FM. A guy is interviewing
a singer and playing her songs. I'd say the SIO code is 544, and I'm
based in northern California. I'll keep listening for a station id.
Anyone know what this broadcast is?

Hip Hop is American music.

It's the VOA Jazz America at 21:48 S-9 +20 R8B (Pre On) 50' Random
Wire 34, -118

Old February 18th 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 19:23:02 +0000, weatherall

Ended incredibly abruptly at 2200.

Old February 18th 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

wrote:

I'm receiving 15580 khz at 1905 UTC. I checked primetimeshortwave.com
and hfradio.org, and they both list this as a Voice of America
frequency during that time. But what I'm hearing sounds more like a
hip-hop radio station that one might find on FM. A guy is interviewing
a singer and playing her songs. I'd say the SIO code is 544, and I'm
based in northern California. I'll keep listening for a station id.
Anyone know what this broadcast is?

Carrier off at 22;01;35

Old February 18th 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

wrote:

Ended incredibly abruptly at 2200.

That is the end of the published VOA transmission to Africa from
Greenville on 15580, which is 19:00 to 22:00 UTC.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California