Old February 20th 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
ve3...

Default Newbie to shortwave

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I was hoping some of you could take a look at it and let me know of this will do the trick? I have never used a shortwave radio before and so I don't want to spend too much on my first radio, all I want to be able to do for now is tune into these numbers stations!

Thanks in advance for any help/info.

Chaostrophy

I have heard good reports about the DE 1102 but I have no first-hand
information about the radio. I would be concerned about the warranty on
it because of the cost of shipping and the manual might be written in
Chinese. I am biased in favour of the Sony SW7600G but is more
expensive. I would study the offerings in ebay a bit more to get a
better feel for the market and read some of the old postings on this
site to get opinions. We're not all smart asses on this site. Good Luck.

Old February 20th 06, 04:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Verstaldin

If you can manage to find a Radio Shack DX 394, it will have everything you
need to hunt for numbers stations. On the waym you may find some interesting
broadcasts as well on the shortwave bands. You will need to ground the radio
(any shortwave receiver you buy will need to be grounded), and an antenna.
If you can get some insulated multistrand wire into the air about 100 feet
or so (30 will do if you can't do more), you will have a better chance of
finding what you are looking for. You might want a "Preselector" to help
tune the antenna. There are lots around, and you should be able to find them
with a Google search Best of luck in your pursuit of the shortwave
listening hobby.

ups.com...

Old February 20th 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Chaostrophy

ve3... wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info ve3
Old February 20th 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Chaostrophy

Verstaldin wrote:
If you can manage to find a Radio Shack DX 394, it will have everything you
need to hunt for numbers stations. On the waym you may find some interesting
broadcasts as well on the shortwave bands. You will need to ground the radio
(any shortwave receiver you buy will need to be grounded), and an antenna.
If you can get some insulated multistrand wire into the air about 100 feet
or so (30 will do if you can't do more), you will have a better chance of
finding what you are looking for. You might want a "Preselector" to help
tune the antenna. There are lots around, and you should be able to find them
with a Google search Best of luck in your pursuit of the shortwave
listening hobby.

ups.com...

I have heard good reports about the DE 1102 but I have no first-hand
information about the radio. I would be concerned about the warranty on
it because of the cost of shipping and the manual might be written in
Chinese. I am biased in favour of the Sony SW7600G but is more
expensive. I would study the offerings in ebay a bit more to get a
better feel for the market and read some of the old postings on this
site to get opinions. We're not all smart asses on this site. Good Luck.

Thanks for the information, this is sounding more and more fun the more
I learn