Old February 21st 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Tom Holden

Default Canadian Test ICP.exe

"Mitsu" wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone used this software before, it can be found on the Canadian
website, www.rac.ca its for testing your skills towards either your
Basic or Advanced ticket, What I have noticed is this program has 964
questions for the test that only needs 100, you can print part of it
out the first 100, can anyone out there have or know of a way to print
the complete 964 questions, is there a way maybe to get into the
program itself and remove the data....?????
I would like all the questions if possible, that way my students will
be ready for anything.

Thanks for drawing it to my attention. It was difficult to find it at the
link you provided - here is the direct link
http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/inter..._sf05378e.html .

I did explore the file a bit with a hex editor and extracted a sample
question:

B-008-01-05 (2)
When the signal from a transmitter overloads the audio stages of a broadcast
receiver, the

transmitted signal:
is distorted on voice peaks
can appear wherever the receiver is tuned
appears only on one frequency
appears only when a station is tuned

The correct selection is stored in the parentheses and refers to the line
number after the colon or question mark that marks the beginning of the
answer selections.

You can easily find the beginning of the question set by searching the file
for this marker: [TEXT]. Then you have to page down until you find it
changes to French, or carry on if you want that, too.

A free Hex editor is XVI32 at
http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delph...vi32/xvi32.htm . I used its
Block Mark and Copy functions to paste the selected data into a new file
created by XVI32. For whatever reason, its clipboard copy does not paste
into Notepad.

Tom

Old February 22nd 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Tom Holden

"Tom Holden" wrote in message
news
"Mitsu" wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone used this software before, it can be found on the Canadian
website, www.rac.ca its for testing your skills towards either your
Basic or Advanced ticket, What I have noticed is this program has 964
questions for the test that only needs 100, you can print part of it
out the first 100, can anyone out there have or know of a way to print
the complete 964 questions, is there a way maybe to get into the
program itself and remove the data....?????
I would like all the questions if possible, that way my students will
be ready for anything.

Thanks for drawing it to my attention. It was difficult to find it at the
link you provided - here is the direct link
http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/inter..._sf05378e.html .

Just discovered that Wordpad can open the icp.exe file whereas Notepad
hangs. So you just search for [TEXT] to find the start and then hold the
Shift key down while you page down until you hit the French. Copy and paste
to a new document and fire away with reformatting, modifying the questions
and answers to suit your needs. I daresay it might even be possible to
modify the Q&A in the program.

What a great set of questions! Good luck with your adaptations!

Tom