Old February 25th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Robert11

Default 50 Or 75 Ohm Coax For Receive Only Application ?

Hello:

Will be putting up a new HF atnenna for Receive-Only, to be used from 30 MHz
on down

Trying to decide on a coax type for the radio to antenna run, about 150
feet.

As some will be buried in soil, want to have a PE jacket.

It appears that when factoring in the PE requirement, and certainly price, I
can
do better, apparently, by picking a 75 ohm coax than a 50 ohm one.

My receivers input is, of course, stamped 50 ohm.

In a practical sense, do you experts believe I would see any difference
between
50 or 75 ohm coax for a receive only situation at the 30 MHz and lower
listening freq's (150 foot coax run) ?

Thanks,
Bob

Old February 25th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 13:22:48 -0500, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hello:

Will be putting up a new HF atnenna for Receive-Only, to be used from 30 MHz
on down

Trying to decide on a coax type for the radio to antenna run, about 150
feet.

As some will be buried in soil, want to have a PE jacket.

It appears that when factoring in the PE requirement, and certainly price, I
can
do better, apparently, by picking a 75 ohm coax than a 50 ohm one.

My receivers input is, of course, stamped 50 ohm.

In a practical sense, do you experts believe I would see any difference
between
50 or 75 ohm coax for a receive only situation at the 30 MHz and lower
listening freq's (150 foot coax run) ?

Thanks,
Bob

It depends on how the antenna matches the transmission line. Is it a
wire antenna through a 9:1 matcher? If so, the RG-6 will work just
fine.

Old February 25th 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Carter, K8VT

Robert11 wrote:

In a practical sense, do you experts believe I would see any
difference between 50 or 75 ohm coax for a receive only situation at
the 30 MHz and lower listening freq's (150 foot coax run) ?

For "receive only" and from a practical viewpoint, no difference at all.

For the 75 ohm stuff, talk to your local cable company; many times you
can get some of their buried drop quite cheaply... Good luck!

Old February 26th 06, 07:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article ,
"Carter, K8VT" wrote:

Robert11 wrote:

In a practical sense, do you experts believe I would see any
difference between 50 or 75 ohm coax for a receive only situation at
the 30 MHz and lower listening freq's (150 foot coax run) ?

For "receive only" and from a practical viewpoint, no difference at all.

For the 75 ohm stuff, talk to your local cable company; many times you
can get some of their buried drop quite cheaply... Good luck!

Well there is a difference but you may not notice it. Generally you
spend your money to get the "best bang for the buck" so the price
difference is an important determinant.

If you already owned the 75 ohm coax I would say use it but I would not
advise you to buy the 75 ohm coax unless the difference in cost between
it and the 50 coax warranted it.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California