Old February 27th 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
N9NEO

Default Grundig S350

Ham Radio Outlet has Grundig s350 for 100 bucks. I am thinking to buy
it for my young 11yo niece. She likes radios. I gave her a
Hallicrafters boatanchor tabletop but her daddy won't put up an
antenna.

Is that a good radio for 100 bucks?

Regards,
NEO

Old February 27th 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Michael Lawson

"N9NEO" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ham Radio Outlet has Grundig s350 for 100 bucks. I am thinking to

buy
it for my young 11yo niece. She likes radios. I gave her a
Hallicrafters boatanchor tabletop but her daddy won't put up an
antenna.

Is that a good radio for 100 bucks?

It's got nice sound, but it's main drawback is that
it's a single conversion radio, so beware of images.
The more recent version seems to have fixed some
of the stability issues, which was another big
problem in years past.

--Mike L.

Old February 27th 06, 09:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article . com,
"N9NEO" wrote:

Ham Radio Outlet has Grundig s350 for 100 bucks. I am thinking to buy
it for my young 11yo niece. She likes radios. I gave her a
Hallicrafters boatanchor tabletop but her daddy won't put up an
antenna.

Is that a good radio for 100 bucks?

Sounds like a good choice. Use its whip or a short wire external
antenna. A big antenna will generate strong signals on most bands and
she will see plenty of images.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old February 27th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
homepc

I purchased a Tecsun BCL 3000 last fall which is much the same as the Eton
350 Deluxe except it has a smaller speaker. I'm very happy with it,
although it's used more for AM DX. It's compact enough to leave on the
kitchen table and it gets used daily.

Today I saw the red Eton 350 Deluxe model on sale at The Source for $129 CDN
and the Grundig 350 selling for $99 CDN.

ups.com...

Old February 27th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
homepc

The wind up Grundig FR200 radios are nice, but I had two that both developed
problems with the volume control. After a few months of daily use at the
office, the volume control became very noisy. I ended up returning both
radios. It's too bad they couldn't be built with slightly better parts.
They are just the right size to keep at work, cute as a button, and they are
very good on batteries.

I guess most people buy these radios and put them away for an emergency,
They will rarely come across this problem because their radios will never
see extended use..

I ended up getting a Degen DE1107 to use at work. I was happy with it until
the LCD clock stopped working out of the blue. I'm waiting for a warranty
replacement unit now. Apart from the clock going south, the radio is very
good. The domestic version being sold in the US is the Kaito KA1107. You
may find this model interesting..

"N9NEO" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yep, they have em at Rad Shack. I looked at the local store recently
but they didn't have anything but the bogus wind up toys. The Rad
Shack down the road a few miles has the 350. I think I will have to
wait till after lent. No more toys for now. I'll pick up at Easter
time and play with for a few days then off to my niece.

73
NEO

Old February 27th 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Lisa Simpson

On the subject of RS closing some shops, I talked to my local RS dude this
morning on that very subject, hoping to get some inside info on some
upcoming good deals (!); he said they're just gonna shift inventory from one
area store to another and close down the least profitable ones (like his,
sadly), and he really doesn't expect there to be any "steals" per se in this
go round, but he promised to keep me in mind should he be wrong! : }

wrote in message
Isn't the Grundig 350 SL radios that is suppose to be the best one?
Check your local area Radio Shack stores.Not long ago,I read that Radio
Shack is going to close down a lot of their stores.You might get a good
deal on a Grundig 350 SL.I think I saw one of those radios in a local
Jackson Radio Shack store about five months ago.I dont remember what the
price was though.
cuhulin

Old February 28th 06, 01:52 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Stephen D. Salmon

I recently picked up a red Eton S350DL (which appears to be an
upgraded version of the Grundig S350) on ebay for $110.79 total,
including shipping. There's one even now (item # 5863040259) listed
at $114.99 plus $12.99 shipping. They list at about $150.00.

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 16:38:13 -0600, "homepc"
wrote:

I purchased a Tecsun BCL 3000 last fall which is much the same as the Eton
350 Deluxe except it has a smaller speaker. I'm very happy with it,
although it's used more for AM DX. It's compact enough to leave on the
kitchen table and it gets used daily.

Today I saw the red Eton 350 Deluxe model on sale at The Source for $129 CDN
and the Grundig 350 selling for $99 CDN.

oups.com...

Old February 28th 06, 02:40 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
N9NEO

Thanks everybody for comments. I will probably change my mind ten
times before I eventually buy anything. Seems like the Degen might be
a likely candidate.

I found a pdf file from Phil that you might like to take a look at.

It's called "Phil's Portable radio guide" and has the kind of info to
make a decision. You will be surprised what he finds to be the best
radios. Maybe you will just have to buy another radio after reading
this.

73
Bob
N9NEO

Old February 28th 06, 04:07 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

If you was planning on at first spending about $100.00 for a Shortwave
radio,I think it is hard to beat spending that amount of money for a new
Sony 7600 GR radio.The best in it's class for the money.
cuhulin

Eton S350 DL -=V=- Grundig S350 : Audio Quality and Sound Output ? RHF Shortwave 0 October 27th 05 02:54 AM
Grundig S350 'Super Radio' Tecsun BCL-2000 [Was: Tecsun BCL-2000 Preview (Grundig S350) Gary Shortwave 1 February 16th 04 11:16 PM
YB400PE [email protected] Shortwave 7 February 5th 04 12:34 PM
Grundig Yacht Boy (YB) Radios that are offered World Wide under the Grundig Yacht Boy (YB) Brand Name RHF Shortwave 5 February 5th 04 12:23 PM