Old February 28th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Digging a trench for cable,

or whatever.I saw a commercial on tv and a guy had a metal bar mounted
on the back of his riding lawn mower/little yard tractor.He was driving
foward and the bar was digging a trench.That would come in handy for
digging a trench for coax cable for radio antennas.A bar could be
fastened to a car or pickup truck and do the same thing.Just put it in
gear and go.
cuhulin

Old February 28th 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

wrote:
or whatever.I saw a commercial on tv and a guy had a metal bar mounted
on the back of his riding lawn mower/little yard tractor.He was driving
foward and the bar was digging a trench.That would come in handy for
digging a trench for coax cable for radio antennas.A bar could be
fastened to a car or pickup truck and do the same thing.Just put it in
gear and go.
cuhulin

That's a ripper bar. I lived in an agricultural area that was built on
a dry lake bed. Big tractors would pull those through the
concrete-like dry sediment to bust it up.

Old February 28th 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On 28 Feb 2006 08:09:22 -0800, "John S." wrote:

wrote:
or whatever.I saw a commercial on tv and a guy had a metal bar mounted
on the back of his riding lawn mower/little yard tractor.He was driving
foward and the bar was digging a trench.That would come in handy for
digging a trench for coax cable for radio antennas.A bar could be
fastened to a car or pickup truck and do the same thing.Just put it in
gear and go.
cuhulin

That's a ripper bar. I lived in an agricultural area that was built on
a dry lake bed. Big tractors would pull those through the
concrete-like dry sediment to bust it up.

This is how millions of dollars in disrupted communications get
started.

http://www.aspe.org/ASPE_Publication...yd_032004.html

Old February 28th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Mark S. Holden

wrote:
Rippers are kind of crude for that application. You can rent a
walk-behind Ditch-Witch.
http://www.ditchwitch.com/dwcom/Category/CategoryView/6

The ditch witches work pretty well. The guy I hired to dig the trench
for my coax had 300 feet done in one morning.

Old February 28th 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

It is for Sure,whomever is doing the digging/trenching to first
determine that there isn't anything underneath the ground that shouldn't
be torn up.There is special equipment that I believe some trenching
companies use to make sure there aren't any cables/pipes/wires under
there.I own one of those devices that I once bought at a Goodwill
store.I doubt if it works though.
cuhulin

Old February 28th 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Ron Hardin

Get a step lawn edger (blade with a handle, you step on it and
cut a slot in the grass ; handle lets you stand up while doing this)

Spread the slot with your fingers and run the coax in, press shut
and stamp down.

Works best when the grass is wet.

It disturbs the lawn very little. You can hardly see it.

To find coax years later, tune a portable AM radio to a moderate-weak
station, lay on ground and turn the radio for a null on the station.

Drag the radio across the place the coax is likely to be. When
you're over it, the station pops up out of the null.

I've found connectors on 200' runs to within a couple inches with this
method, years later.

--
Ron Hardin

Old February 28th 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I guess one of those electronic treasure finders might work ok to some
extent.Might find some old gold dubloons down under there too.I have a
little hand held metal detector I bought at the Goodwill store a few
years ago,it works great for short distances.Sort of like those
electronic devices for finding studs in walls by dectecting where the
nails are.
cuhulin

Old February 28th 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

This brings up an interesting question. Do you have to dig below the
local frost line for buried coax? If not, I think the edger would do
the trick wit less mess. If you need to go deep, the Ditch-Witch could
be my choice.

Don't think the Ditch-Witch is aim and shoot. As it encounters
different densities of soil, it will want to move in the direction of
least resistance. Your job is to point it straight. Your arms and
shoulders will be sore after running one. Just try one on compacted
fill.

Old February 28th 06, 08:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:10:26 GMT, Ron Hardin
wrote:

Get a step lawn edger (blade with a handle, you step on it and
cut a slot in the grass ; handle lets you stand up while doing this)

Spread the slot with your fingers and run the coax in, press shut
and stamp down.

Works best when the grass is wet.

It disturbs the lawn very little. You can hardly see it.

To find coax years later, tune a portable AM radio to a moderate-weak
station, lay on ground and turn the radio for a null on the station.

Drag the radio across the place the coax is likely to be. When
you're over it, the station pops up out of the null.

I've found connectors on 200' runs to within a couple inches with this
method, years later.

I just use a shovel sideways to make a slot in the sod.