Old March 4th 06, 05:20 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
katekebo

Default Chinese Military 239-HF and 339-HF receivers

Does anybody have any information about the following Chinese military
HF receivers: 229-HF and 339-HF? Apparently they were made in the
1970's.

Are they solid-state or tubes?

Performance? Specification?

I have opportunity to buy one of these receivers but I would like to
know more about them before confirming the purchase.

Regards.

Old March 4th 06, 06:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
SB

"katekebo" wrote in message
ps.com...
Does anybody have any information about the following Chinese military
HF receivers: 229-HF and 339-HF? Apparently they were made in the
1970's.

Are they solid-state or tubes?

Performance? Specification?

I have opportunity to buy one of these receivers but I would like to
know more about them before confirming the purchase.

Regards.

I am not sure about these but I know I checked ebay and found both of them.
Really, in my opinion for the price you would be paying you could probably
get a good older Icom, Kenwood or Yaesu rig. Even the IC-75 would be a good
pickup and just for a couple hundred more than what you would be paying.
Because both of them are anywhere from 230 to 290 dollars plus 79 for
shipping. Which makes your total 309 or 359.

For that price you can buy an IC-R70, R71, IC 75, Yaesu FRG-100 or something
newere and probably better. I would say for this age of a radio that the
performance is vastly superior on the newer stuff. A Barlow Wadley versus
the radios of the late 80s, 90s and today would be even probably be somewhat
inferior. Considering how much noise reduction, sensitivity, etc you get
from a newer receiver. Just my two cents.

Old March 4th 06, 08:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
katekebo

Thanks for the advice. I already have a modern digital receiver, so I
am not so much after top-notch performance, rather than the pleasure of
ownership and fun of use. However, I would still like the radio to
perform at least decently, instead of finding it's only use to be, pun
intended, an anchor for my boat.

:-)

Old March 5th 06, 01:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
SB

"katekebo" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for the advice. I already have a modern digital receiver, so I
am not so much after top-notch performance, rather than the pleasure of
ownership and fun of use. However, I would still like the radio to
perform at least decently, instead of finding it's only use to be, pun
intended, an anchor for my boat.

:-)

Well in that case have you been able to google anything on those radios? I
was just wondering because that might tell you a little more on it.