Old March 11th 06, 08:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

Default New vertical antenna coming to Universal

On 11 Mar 2006 11:33:47 -0800, "Steve"
wrote:

That's because I know the shortwave posting is the exception rather
than the rule. I wouldn't care if you made the occasional off-topic
post, but you post so much crap to this group that it's virtually
unreadable. That ain't right. You can get your 'viewpoint' across
without undermining the overall shortwave-related purpose of the group.

Why don't you attack RHF, Peeing Eye Dog?

Old March 11th 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Steve

If RHFposts off-topic, it's usually in a thread that someone else (most
likely you) started.

I do wish that Peeing Eye Dog would make fewer off-topic posts, but he
makes fewer than you and there are only 24 hours in my day.

Old March 11th 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On 11 Mar 2006 12:10:49 -0800, "Steve"
wrote:

If RHFposts off-topic, it's usually in a thread that someone else (most
likely you) started.

I do wish that Peeing Eye Dog would make fewer off-topic posts, but he
makes fewer than you and there are only 24 hours in my day.

So many worlds to save, so little time...

Old March 11th 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Steve

Pretty much, but I can save quite a few of them, since I'm not a heroin
addict.

Old March 11th 06, 09:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On 11 Mar 2006 13:36:17 -0800, "Steve"
wrote:

Pretty much, but I can save quite a few of them, since I'm not a heroin
addict.

Are you sure? You seem hung-up, just the same.

Old March 11th 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Steve

Don't worry. It won't seem that way tomorrow, after you've crashed.

Old March 13th 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

Could someone explain this to me: From what I've seen with mobile
passive whips, even of the longer variety, the issue of resonance seems
always to be a limiting factor in band applicability.

What makes this whip suitable for such a vast frequency range (30 kHz
to 30 MHz)? Some coil or another?

How would it be any more suitable for SW than, say, the 12 foot whip
that MFJ offers?

junius

Steve wrote:
Check it out:

http://www.rffun.com/catalog/sw_ant/0981.html

Old March 13th 06, 09:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

Steve wrote:
Check it out:

http://www.rffun.com/catalog/sw_ant/0981.html

When the antenna is at resonance it will pick up more energy from a
passing EM wave than when it is not at resonance at a receive condition.

On transmit it will not radiate as well either but worse is the fact
that the transmit energy reflects back at the transmitter and the finals
have to dissipate the extra energy.

For receive efficiency you want the antenna to be full size or larger
for the frequency of operation.

Whip antennas need a counterpoise to work well. For a car mounted whip
the ground return is the car body. For a roof mount its horizontal
radials. For a portable it is the circuitry in the box and maybe you
holding it.

I expect a CB base antenna would work better than this unit. A CB base
antenna would cost a lot less. You could do even better just hanging up
a horizontal wire.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

I Want Another Antenna Lenny Shortwave 4 January 23rd 06 10:12 PM
SLINKY - Multi-Band "Off-Center" Vertical Dipole Antenna for Shortwave Listening RC Shortwave 4 November 1st 05 05:36 AM
ABOUT - Making a SWL Antenna out of 300 Ohm Twin Lead and TV Coax Cable RHF Shortwave 0 October 28th 05 12:22 PM
Questions -?- Considering a 'small' Shortwave Listener's (SWLs) Antenna RHF Shortwave 1 January 24th 05 09:37 PM
Antenna Advice Chris Shortwave 5 September 20th 04 02:04 AM