Old March 24th 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Keepers: Shortwave Radios That Last

How about them Drake and Ten-Tec and Palstar and the best of all (in my
opinion) the Watkins Johnson Radios? Disclaimer: I dont own any of those
Radios.
cuhulin

Old March 24th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
ve3...

Brian Denley wrote:

!!!!!!!

That may be the worst list of radio I have ever seen.

--
Brian Denley

What part of INEXPENSIVE don't you understand?

Old March 25th 06, 04:38 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Brian Denley

ve3... wrote:
Brian Denley wrote:

!!!!!!!

That may be the worst list of radio I have ever seen.

--
Brian Denley

What part of INEXPENSIVE don't you understand?

I can't find the word 'inexpensive' in your post. Can you?

--
Brian Denley

Old March 25th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Old Boat Anchors.
cuhulin

Old March 25th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
ve3...

Brian Denley wrote:
ve3... wrote:
Brian Denley wrote:

!!!!!!!

That may be the worst list of radio I have ever seen.

--
Brian Denley

What part of INEXPENSIVE don't you understand?

I can't find the word 'inexpensive' in your post. Can you?

I suggest that you read the whole thread before you post critical
remarks.

Post 17 Mar 22 11:46 am
"The radios I selected were INEXPENSIVE (emphasis added) and pretty
good at their niche."

This group receives many inquiries from beginners who don't have a
lot of money to spend and who are interested in inexpensive ( there's
that word again) radios to try out the hobby. In my introduction I
always try to indicate the people who might be interested in the post.
Obviously, those who have a Bellwhistle 7000 (that being the price)
will not be interested but I think newcomers should be encouraged. The
group also receives a number of help requsts from owners whose
expensive radios have broken down. I stand
by my list of beginner's radios, some of which are still on the market,
and others easily available. They are inexpensive, represent good
value, are trouble-free with some having been in service for ten
trouble-free years. Economics state that you always get the cheapest
thing that will do the job. All the rest is ego.

Now that you are cringing in abject humiliation, I suggest that you
help out 5 newcomers to atone for your sin of rush to judgement.

Old March 25th 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

[...]

The term ''false economy'' leaps to mind...

Old March 25th 06, 06:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
sideshowhaas

Being a newcomer to SWL'ing, these are my entries:

1- RS DX-398, $100 paid for it, very good RX on a suspended 50' wire; I
take this one to the Adirondacks.
2- Grundig S350, $0 paid for it (a gift), good sound, doesn't drift as
mush as people say; I use this one on the porch.
3- Grundig FR200, $0 paid for it, decent sound, does the job; I take
this one camping (no electricity).

Having a business to run I get only an hour or two per week to listen.
They all have their purpose and the prices were right.

Old March 25th 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
ve3...

"false economy" is a term used to describe a cheap good that will not
perform as required. The error lies in not specifying the exact
perfomance required. Professionals determine exact performance
specifications and make sure the item just meets those specs and no
more. To go beyond the requirements is a waste of scarce and limited
resources. For example, there is no need to pay for sideband if it is
not required. Similarly, shoddy parts and workmanship would cause an
item to fail before its specified service life of, say, 20 years.
The phrase, "use the cheapest thing that will do the job" implies
that one has given much thought as to exactly what the job is. Look
around at all the tall buildings in town. Architects and structural
engineers have designed them to be just strong enough to meet
specifications. If they overdesigned them, they would be replaced by
engineers who came in with a cheaper bid that still met specifications.
With reference to short-wave listening, a newcomer who just wanted
to listen to the BBC, RCI, and The Power Hour would be quite happy with
a Grundig S350 or even a Grundig Yacht Boy 206 for $25 from ebay. At
least he has some evidence that the models on my list are not prone to
break down. I am sure that some of the new Chinese radios represent
good value but I have not had any first-hand experience with them and
they have not been on the market long enough to determine their service
life.
If people used "the cheapest thing that will do the job" principle
in their own lives, they might find that, for example, a Hummer goes
way beyond their needs and the resources freed up could be better used
in topping up a retirement fund or paying off debt. But that takes me
off topic.

Old March 27th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Brian Denley

With reference to short-wave listening, a
newcomer who just wanted
to listen to the BBC, RCI, and The Power Hour would be quite happy
with a Grundig S350 or even a Grundig Yacht Boy 206 for $25 from
ebay. At least he has some evidence that the models on my list are
not prone to break down. I am sure that some of the new Chinese
radios represent good value but I have not had any first-hand
experience with them and they have not been on the market long enough
to determine their service life.

The S350 is is giant step backward in shortwave receivers. The Sony 7600
blows it away in technology and performance for the money.
And I still can't find the word 'inexpensive' in your original post. We are
seeing a lot of lower quality chinese knockoffs of late but (thankfully)
nothing at crude as the 350.

--
Brian Denley

Old March 27th 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
ve3...

Brian Denley wrote:
With reference to short-wave listening, a
newcomer who just wanted
to listen to the BBC, RCI, and The Power Hour would be quite happy
with a Grundig S350 or even a Grundig Yacht Boy 206 for $25 from
ebay. At least he has some evidence that the models on my list are
not prone to break down. I am sure that some of the new Chinese
radios represent good value but I have not had any first-hand
experience with them and they have not been on the market long enough
to determine their service life.

The S350 is is giant step backward in shortwave receivers. The Sony 7600
blows it away in technology and performance for the money.
And I still can't find the word 'inexpensive' in your original post. We are
seeing a lot of lower quality chinese knockoffs of late but (thankfully)
nothing at crude as the 350.

--

We will just have to disagree. I think that you should read the whole

There are some who agree with your opinion that the Grundig S350 is a
poor radio. But not many. I would refer you to eham where the great
majority of the 48 reviews were favourable.
www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3112. This review would also be of
interest to S350 owners as some of the posts have operating tips and
modifications.