Old March 28th 06, 01:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

Default Keepers: Shortwave Radios That Last

I prefer the RF-2600 to the S350. My RF-2600 is minimally less drifty
than my (early model) S350. Also, I find the selectivity of the
RF-2600 to be a bit better than that of the S350. Being analog rather
than synthesized models, both are nice and quiet (you're not going to
suffer chuffing and a high noise floor). Also, both are quite
sensitive off the whip. Both have pleasant audio and dual tone
controls. The RF-2600 has a BFO control for reception of SSB, whereas
the S350 is devoid of SSB reception. That said, SSB reception on the
RF-2600 is not particularly great; I'm sure the $60 Chinese portables
of today do a much better job of it. Both the S350 and the RF-2600
have image problems. I find that the S350 is far more prone to
overload than the RF-2600. Also, my S350 sometimes even drifts on FM,
whereas I've not had that occur with my RF-2600. I purchased the S350
some months after the radio was released. As a fan of Panasonic
portables like the RF-2200, 2600, 2800/2900, the S350 had some
carry-over appeal. I bought my RF-2600 used off eBay. It's in decent
shape, and thankfully (unlike with Cuhulin's '2600) reception on this
radio has never required anything being wedge into the cabinet.

A good condition, used RF-2600 on eBAy is, of course, likely to go for
a fair bit more than a new S350.

If I had given the choice again (and even knowing that the S350s made
now have less drift), I probably wouldn't opt for the S350. But it
does have pleasant audio, and it's good on batteries. I can understand
how it might appeal to someone who's wanting to kick back and listen to
some strong incoming broadcasts. I use my S350 primarily for FM and MW
listening.

junius

Hal (nospam) wrote:
wrote in news:16559-44209EF2-2248@storefull-
3256.bay.webtv.net:

Radio reviews this,radio reviews that,,,, heck,they even do reviews on
those cheap two bit made in China radios.I bought a new Panasonic
RF-2600 AM/FM/Shortwave radio at a Service Mercandise store about 23
years ago,I still own that radio too.I wonder why those big shot radio
reviewers haven't done a radio review of a Panasonic RF-2600 radio? I
have looked on the internet before,I haven't seen a review of that model
radio yet.

No matter though,I am the best reviewer of my radios.
cuhulin

Go to eham.net and do a review. They don't care if they are old.

Old March 28th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Brian Denley

ve3... wrote:
For example, I wonder how you
could make a critical post that had any merit on , say, the 272 posts
on IBOC of Mar 2 2006 without carefully reading the whole thread.

You'll have to interpret that for me. I don't remember commenting on that
thread. In any case what you and I disagree on (respectfully on my part) is
whether all of those radios are 'keepers'. I believe that any modern
shortwave receiver, even including small portables, must have a minimum set
of tools for the user. The Sony 7600 meets those requirements and for a
good price and I agree with your assessment that it's the best all around.
Still, however, I find the S350 to be a poor rendition of a modern shortwave
portable and I don't think I have held a cheaper feeling radio. It's true
tha I don't have many portables, as I favor the desktop sets, but the two I
have owned: SW8 and ICF-SW55 were solidly built and excellent performers.
--
Brian Denley

Old March 28th 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
ve3...

I did a quick scan of Universal's used and sold list and found that
the last three 2600's had sold for $249, $269, and $239. Not exactly in
the same league as the $100

S350.One of the criteria for my list was that the radios sould be
currently on the market or easily available. I am sure that the RF 2600
is a good radio but it is too expesive for my list and hard to find.

Old March 28th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

ve3... wrote:
I did a quick scan of Universal's used and sold list and found that
the last three 2600's had sold for $249, $269, and $239.

Yeah, it's true, Universal's prices on used radios can be worse than
those on eBay.

Not exactly in
the same league as the $100

Nope, it's not. I acknowledged earlier that the '2600 would run ya
higher. I compared the two simply because of design similarities and
because they had both been discussed in this thread.

S350.One of the criteria for my list was that the radios sould be
currently on the market or easily available. I am sure that the RF 2600
is a good radio but it is too expesive for my list and hard to find.

Yep, the '2600 is a fun radio. But for most shortwave listeners, it's
unlikely to have great appeal, unless there's a significant nostalgia
factor at play...

A good Sony ICF-SW7600GR or even some of the Kaito/Degen portables
would offer much more band for the buck.

Best of listenin' to ya...

Junius