Old March 29th 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
K4GPB

Default AM FM Zip Code Based Signal Strengths

anyone have a clue how this works?

http://www.v-soft.com/ZipSignal/zip_answer.asp

Gary
K4GPB

Old March 29th 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Invader3K

Appears you simply enter your zip code, and it gives you an estimate of
how strong local radio stations are coming to your locaion, in terms of
decibels. Kind of a cool reference tool.

Old March 29th 06, 02:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Doug Smith W9WI

K4GPB wrote:
anyone have a clue how this works?

http://www.v-soft.com/ZipSignal/zip_answer.asp

That *is* a useful site, isn't it?!

I've encountered a number of sites that are able to cross-reference ZIP
codes to geographic coordinates - don't know where they're getting the
data but my guess would be the Census Bureau has a database.

The technical facilities of the radio stations are available in
databases downloadable from the FCC.

The firm that runs the site is a broadcast engineering consulting firm;
their regular work involves the ability to predict field strength at a
given distance, transmitter power, and antenna parameters.

Combine that, and you end up with what you see there.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old March 29th 06, 11:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article ,
Doug Smith W9WI wrote:

K4GPB wrote:
anyone have a clue how this works?

http://www.v-soft.com/ZipSignal/zip_answer.asp

That *is* a useful site, isn't it?!

I've encountered a number of sites that are able to cross-reference ZIP
codes to geographic coordinates - don't know where they're getting the
data but my guess would be the Census Bureau has a database.

The technical facilities of the radio stations are available in
databases downloadable from the FCC.

The firm that runs the site is a broadcast engineering consulting firm;
their regular work involves the ability to predict field strength at a
given distance, transmitter power, and antenna parameters.

Combine that, and you end up with what you see there.

Yes this is very handy. I just plotted all the stations in my area in
Excel.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old March 30th 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

K4GPB wrote:
anyone have a clue how this works?

http://www.v-soft.com/ZipSignal/zip_answer.asp

Gary
K4GPB

Yeah!
I use is quite a bit..

Plug in your Zip Code, and a list of AM / FM stations
With their signal strength comes up..

then you se if you can pic them up.

I have had Very good results with the Degen DE1105 and A few yards of
external antenna..

Very good site

Old March 30th 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

And if you want to look up other zip codes. www.555us.com
cuhulin

Old March 30th 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Guy Kudlemyer

Default I must be missing something (Was: AM FM Zip Code Based SignalStrengths)

I must be missing something...

What good is a website that tells you that you can hear all of your local
stations from your location? Seems like I already know that...

--Guy
Thurston, OR

On 3/29/06 6:19 PM, in article
,

Old March 31st 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 14:00:32 -0800, Guy Kudlemyer
wrote:

I must be missing something...

What good is a website that tells you that you can hear all of your local
stations from your location? Seems like I already know that...

--Guy
Thurston, OR

Something?

Try everything.

It listed my one local station and about 100 others.

Old March 31st 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default I must be missing something (Was: AM FM Zip Code Based SignalS...

I typed my zip code (39209) in the window and it list about fifty five
radio stations.I can't pick up all of those radio stations on my radio.
cuhulin

Old April 1st 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Satellit

On 2006-03-30 14:00:32 -0800, Guy Kudlemyer said:

I must be missing something...

What good is a website that tells you that you can hear all of your local
stations from your location? Seems like I already know that...

--Guy
Thurston, OR

Well, for instance, a station that is listed on mine is overpowered by
another station from 150 miles away! Disgustingly, the station I would
like to hear is a one of a kind station in the area, the station that
overpowers it is a Spanish speaking station.

Sigh.

--

acs

---
Grundig Satellit 800M, Degen 1102,*FR200,*
100' Random Wire, Degen "31" Amplified Loop,
Pulling signals out of thin air in the Pacific Northwest Since 1992
http://www.chevyorange.com