Old March 30th 06, 11:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

Default NiMH batteries and charger in Satellit 700

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 14:16:41 -0600, "Brian O"
wrote:

Has anyone used NiMh batteries in conjunction with the charging unit in the
Grundig Satellit 700? Will it charge them without damage to the battery or
the radio?

Also, I'm looking for EPROM chips to use with this radio. Who might have
them and do you know any chip type numbers? Thanks in advance.
B.

NiMH's cannot beproperly charged with a NiCd charger.

Old March 31st 06, 02:37 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Brian O

wrote:

Has anyone used NiMh batteries in conjunction with the charging unit in

the
Grundig Satellit 700? Will it charge them without damage to the battery

or
the radio?

Also, I'm looking for EPROM chips to use with this radio. Who might have
them and do you know any chip type numbers? Thanks in advance.
B.

NiMH's cannot beproperly charged with a NiCd charger.

I'm not so sure. The are the same voltage per cell. Unless there is some
difference in the method of charging, I would think it would be alright. Do
you know anything a bit more technical about charging differences or where I
might find out?

Old March 31st 06, 03:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 19:37:29 -0600, "Brian O"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Has anyone used NiMh batteries in conjunction with the charging unit in

the
Grundig Satellit 700? Will it charge them without damage to the battery

or
the radio?

Also, I'm looking for EPROM chips to use with this radio. Who might have
them and do you know any chip type numbers? Thanks in advance.
B.

NiMH's cannot beproperly charged with a NiCd charger.

I'm not so sure. The are the same voltage per cell. Unless there is some
difference in the method of charging, I would think it would be alright. Do
you know anything a bit more technical about charging differences or where I
might find out?

Then why did you ask the question?

http://www.greenbatteries.com/bachfa...%20batterie s

Old March 31st 06, 10:12 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Brian O - David was right ~ RHF

Think of it like this :
A 40 Watt and 100 Watt incandescent Light Bulb may both fit in the same
Standard Light Socket -but- Their Internal Resistance is different
along with their Power Consumption and Dissipation. The same size
NiCad and NiMH Batteries may have the same outward physical
characteristics -but- Their Internal Electrical Characteristics are
Different and thus a Charger built for a NiCad Battery with not
effectively work for a NiMH Battery and may be in-fact Hazardous
{Un-Safe} to do so.
Old March 31st 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

David - To many people. ~ RHF

Old April 1st 06, 01:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
clifto

Brian O wrote:
The Cadex site (www.cadex.com) says that there are important
differences between the chargers. They claim that:

The charge termination criterion is different. Most NiCd chargers
stop (or transition to trickle charge) on a characteristic voltage
drop. The NiMH voltage drop is more subtle. Most NiMH chargers
transition based on temperature.

The early units transitioned on a voltage plateau. Where NiCd will
start to drop in voltage after full charge, NiMH tends to stop
rising in voltage but not fall.

A NiCd charger will charge a NiMH until the voltage drops, which
(if it happens at all) will be long after the battery is badly
overcharged.

--
All relevant people are pertinent.
All rude people are impertinent.
Old April 1st 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John Black

Brian;

NiMh batteries will work fine. The charger in the Sat 700 is a stupid one;
it has no automatic circuitry in it at all, just trickle charges at around
65ma. As long as you keep that in mind when selecting and charging your
batteries, all will be well.

John

"Brian O" wrote in message

"David" wrote in message
On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 19:37:29 -0600, "Brian O"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

To get an accuarte technical explaination. I found the people in the
electronics group to be very helpful. Thank you for your kindness.

"Asking about the difference between NiCd & NiMH battery chargers -

The Cadex site (www.cadex.com) says that there are important
differences between the chargers. They claim that:

The charge termination criterion is different. Most NiCd chargers
stop (or transition to trickle charge) on a characteristic voltage
drop. The NiMH voltage drop is more subtle. Most NiMH chargers
transition based on temperature.

The NiMH cell requires a smaller trickle charge. "A trickle
charge that is acceptable for the NiCd will overheat the NiMH and
cause irreversible damage."

Charger for field day lead acid batteries ? [email protected] Homebrew 8 February 8th 06 04:53 PM
HT Battery Info Needed bw Equipment 2 December 31st 05 07:51 PM
FA: Icom and Kenwood handhelds, batteries, charger.. [email protected] Equipment 0 June 6th 05 07:26 PM
NiMH D-battery charger? Ron Hardin Shortwave 2 October 19th 04 08:09 AM
Charger for 6 nmhd batteries for my Grundig Satellit 800? Newzhound777 Shortwave 0 October 16th 03 06:57 PM