Old April 7th 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bob Miller

Default Shortwave radio vs satellite radio: my perspective

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 18:39:39 -0400, "Don Forsling"
wrote:

"Bob Miller" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 20:03:55 -0700, running dogg wrote:

I don't listen to shortwave radio for hours at a stretch. At best, I'll
listen to a half hour of news on the BBC, and RHC's 10 minute news
bulletin-per night. I don't listen to much music. Now tell me again,
David, why I should pay $13/mo for something I'll only use for 2 1/2
hours per week (BBC doesn't have current events coverage on weekends)?
That's about 80 cents an hour. Pricey. I doubt that most people listen
to any more than one or two of satellite radio's dozens of channels.
When Howard Stern moved to Sirius, only about a third of his over the
air fan base moved with him, leading Stern to berate his former fans as
cheap. Satellite radio isn't worth the cost for all but the most
dedicated users. Considering that most people watch 6 hours of TV a day,
cable TV is cheap. But most people don't listen to the radio for hours
on end.

You don't really need shortwave radio or satellite, either, for BBC.
It's on most NPR radio stations daily, several times throughout the
day and/or night.

BBC is NOT on "MOST" NPR member stations. It is on some of them, and on
most of those, it is available (run by the station) only as an overnight
service, a fairly cheap filler as it were. As such, it's a valuable
service. But to some, it would be a really valuable service if, for
example, the BBC World Service hourly news were aired every hour of the day.

Don Forsling

Since I'm in the heathen Hill Country of central Texas, and KSTX plays
an hour of BBC "The World" in the afternoon, and then does nothing but
BBC World Service from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m., I just figured everybody in
more the civilized parts of America get what we get. Mebbe we're more
cultured down here than I thunk?

Bob
k5qwg
Old April 7th 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Raqueeb Hassan

KSTX plays an hour of BBC "The World" in the afternoon, and then does nothing but
BBC World Service from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m.

BBC seems to have good coverage in your part of the world, what else
other news services KSTX carry?

--
Raqueeb Hassan
Bangladesh

Old April 7th 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On 6 Apr 2006 19:26:29 -0700, "Raqueeb Hassan"
wrote:

KSTX plays an hour of BBC "The World" in the afternoon, and then does nothing but
BBC World Service from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m.

BBC seems to have good coverage in your part of the world, what else
other news services KSTX carry?

KUSC carries it overnight from Mount Harvard, 5,300' above Los
Angeles.

Old April 7th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

A little teentsy weentsy chip of paint flying at about 17,000 miles per
hour in Space could conceively knock out anything,, no matter how
hardened it is.
cuhulin

Old April 7th 06, 12:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bob Miller

wrote:

KSTX plays an hour of BBC "The World" in the afternoon, and then does nothing but
BBC World Service from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m.

BBC seems to have good coverage in your part of the world, what else
other news services KSTX carry?

KSTX is a National Public Radio station, and carries their
programming, in addition to the BBC. Joan Kroc, the McDonald's
hamburger widow, donated $234 million to NPR a couple of years ago,
and much of the money went into news staffing, and they have good news
and features programming.

bob
k5qwg

Old April 7th 06, 01:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

wrote:

KSTX plays an hour of BBC "The World" in the afternoon, and then does nothing but
BBC World Service from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m.

BBC seems to have good coverage in your part of the world, what else
other news services KSTX carry?

KUSC carries it overnight from Mount Harvard, 5,300' above Los
Angeles.

Wait. I think it's actually KPCC from Mt. Wilson. 6,000'. KUSC has
Muzak all night.

Old April 7th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bob Miller

wrote:

KSTX plays an hour of BBC "The World" in the afternoon, and then does nothing but
BBC World Service from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m.

BBC seems to have good coverage in your part of the world, what else
other news services KSTX carry?

KUSC carries it overnight from Mount Harvard, 5,300' above Los
Angeles.

Wait. I think it's actually KPCC from Mt. Wilson. 6,000'. KUSC has
Muzak all night.

They clutter the view from Palomar with radio antennae? Jeez.

bob
k5qwg
Old April 7th 06, 06:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

wrote:

KSTX plays an hour of BBC "The World" in the afternoon, and then does nothing but
BBC World Service from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m.

BBC seems to have good coverage in your part of the world, what else
other news services KSTX carry?

KUSC carries it overnight from Mount Harvard, 5,300' above Los
Angeles.

Wait. I think it's actually KPCC from Mt. Wilson. 6,000'. KUSC has
Muzak all night.

They clutter the view from Palomar with radio antennae? Jeez.

bob
k5qwg

Palomar is 60 or 70 miles South of Mount Wilson. The RF from the
towers does bother the Mount Wilson Observatory.

Old April 17th 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Default PRI -verses- NPR - Public Radio for the Radio Public

MZ,

Public Radio International (PRI) -verses- National Public Radio (NPR)
[ Public Radio for the Radio Public ]

"PRI" = Public Radio International
{The Left-Wing World First}
PRI = http://www.pri.org/
Note - PRI is independent and separate from NPR.

PRI's Program portfolio contains over 45 News, Arts,
Culture, Music and Specials Programs.
PRI PROGRAMS = http://www.pri.org/pri_programs.html

"The World" -according to- PRI
THE WORLD = http://www.theworld.org/
PRI's The World is a One-Hour, Week-Day Radio News Magazine
offering a mix of News, Features, Interviews, and Music from
around-the-globe.
Note - 10 Years and still Spinning the Liberal Slanted News.
SPINNING = http://www.theworld.org/about/10years.shtml

"NPR" = National Public Radio
{Liberal America First}
NPR = http://www.npr.org/

oh shut-up and sit down rhf ~ RHF
Old April 17th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Bob [K5QWG] - Maybe ! ) ~ RHF
[ Deep-in-the-Heart-of-Texas just may be part of being . . .
Deep-in-the-Heart-of-the-American-Culture. ]

The Nature of Culture is . . . Culture "IS" as Culture Does [.]

There is Culture -and- THEN THERE IS CULTURE !

The Idea of Culture is an Abstract :
Where as Culture Itself is Express By Life and Being [.]

in the microscope of life - culture is the medium of our being ~ RHF