Old April 8th 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Antenna Tuner

Maybe them MFJ (Mighty Fine Junk) folks like to have a few beers once in
a while? After all,they are Mississippians and us Mississippians like to
do our thingys our way. www.thecarthaginian.com
cuhulin,Proud to be a natural born Mississippian

Old April 8th 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Radio Shack sells batteries and cell phones. www.bugsweeps.com
cuhulin

Old April 8th 06, 11:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

Default Three MFJ Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna Pre-Selectors {Tuners?} + "Mini-Size" Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antennas + "Micro-Size" SWL Active Antennas

In article .com,
"RHF" wrote:

Snip

I wish you would stop posting with non-standard characters at the end of
your post. It's bad etiquette. It screws up the news reader display.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old April 9th 06, 12:23 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Default AM/MW Antenna Tuner-Coupler for common AM/FM Radios and Tuners

Blitz,

AM/MW Antenna Tuner-Coupler for common AM/FM Radios
and AM/FM/Stereo Tuners

To 'couple' a simple LongWire Antenna to a so-called
HiFi Tuner {AM/FM Radio} :

* Use the simple {small} basic AM Loop Antenna that
comes with most modern AM/FM/Stereo/CD/Tape/Aux
Sound Systems and the many of AM/FM Radios.

* Then get a Select-A-Tenna Model 541-M and use
the 1/8" Mono-Jack on it as an Input for the LongWire
Antenna and Ground. The Select-A-Tenna becomes
the AM/MW Tuner-Coupler for the LongWire Antenna.

Place the Radio's basic AM Loop Antenna close to
the Select-A-Tenna and move it In-and-Out to vary
the Coupling between the two Loops.

TIP - The Select-A-Tenna can also be 'Positioned'
{Rotated} to : Peak a Weak Signal -or- Null-Out a
Strong {Interferring} Signal.

FWIW - The Terk AM Advantage 1000 Loop Antenna
and the RadioShack AM/MW Loop Antenna both have
1/8" Mono Input/Output Jacks and can do the same
basic job as a AM/MW Tuner-Coupler with most modern
AM/FM Radio's and AM/FM/Stereo Tuners.

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF

Old April 9th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

My DX-394 was getting killed on SW by WABC at 50,000 watts, and several
other local AM stations. I bought on ebay an I.C.E. Model 402 SWL -
receive only BCB Filter. Non-polarized, 50 ohm Highpass design, for use
from 1.8 MHz and up. It is wonderful for eliminating the AM overload.

HFguy wrote:
blitz wrote:

I've got two hi-fi tuners that overload on the outdoor long-wire (on
AM, of course). Is there a way to tune, preselect, detune, balun,
resist, or whatever the antenna so I can use it?

It depends on what's overloading the receiver. Are you located close to
a strong AM station? In general, a passive pre-selector should help but
you might need just a frequency 'trap' to reduce the strength of the
offending station. Are you using coax for the antenna lead-in or just a
single wire?

Old April 9th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Lisa Simpson

& on that note, anybody want to buy a relatively new, little used MFJ-956?

"Lisa Simpson" wrote in message
"John S." wrote in message
oups.com...

Lisa Simpson wrote:
"Bob Miller" wrote in message
On 7 Apr 2006 12:58:01 -0700, "coustanis"

wrote:

What antenna tuner (possibly with amp) for under...say a hundred

bucks
do you folks like.
This would be for general coverage and DXing.

Thanks.

If you're tuning an unbalanced, random-length wire, the MFJ 16010
L-circuit tuner is fine, and is only 49.95

For a balanced antenna, a dipole, say, the MFJ 901B Versa Tuner

would
work -- it's 79.99

The MFJ 956 preselector/tuner is another possibility

I have found the 956 to be useless on my DX394 w/Eavesdropper antenna,

does
absolutely nothing for or against reception/signal.

For the bored swl they offer an opportunity to twirl some knobs, but
that's about all they do.

Completely agree.

Old April 9th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 15:41:56 GMT, "Lisa Simpson"
wrote:

& on that note, anybody want to buy a relatively new, little used MFJ-956?

It's handy for the Shorting Switch during thunderstorms, if nothing
else.

Old April 9th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 15:57:47 -0400, blitz @. wrote:

David writes...

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 10:37:21 -0400, blitz @. wrote:

HiFi AM tuners suck.

Compared to what?

Real radios.

Humor me.

They usually just throw in a single IC chip tuner that brick-walls the
high frequncies at around 4500 Hertz. If you try to use anything
other than the 6 feet of wire on a loop that comes with the receiver
the things will overload like crazy.

So I noticed, except for one old Yamaha that doesn't.

I have a Sangean ATS-606A that's well matched to its cabinet that I
use when travelling. It will occasionally whistle so I know that it's
got some bandwidth (has a ''fine tuner'' so I can tune away from the
adjacent.)

At home the cheapest thing I listen to MW on is a Drake SW2 (kitchen).
I also have an ICOM R75 in the bedroom and a Drake R8B in my office.

I can't stand inferior AM radios.

Old April 10th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
clifto

David wrote:
I can't stand inferior AM radios.

Whatever happened to Pete and his new design?

--
All relevant people are pertinent.
All rude people are impertinent.

Grounding Steve Rabinowitz Shortwave 31 December 14th 05 05:26 AM
No CounterPoise - Portable Antenna System RHF Shortwave 1 November 19th 05 06:18 PM
FS: Emtech ZM-1 Z-Match QRP antenna tuner Larry Gagnon Swap 0 September 6th 04 05:08 AM