Old April 10th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Antenna Tuner

No.
If I want to buy anything from MFJ,I will step in my vehicle and drive
on up the road and check them out.
cuhulin

Old April 10th 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Wait a minute,,, Well matched to it's cabinet?
cuhulin

Old April 10th 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bob Miller

Default AM/MW Antenna Tuner-Coupler for common AM/FM Radios and Tuners

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 18:58:14 -0400, blitz @. wrote:

RHF writes...

Blitz,

AM/MW Antenna Tuner-Coupler for common AM/FM Radios
and AM/FM/Stereo Tuners

To 'couple' a simple LongWire Antenna to a so-called
HiFi Tuner {AM/FM Radio} :

* Use the simple {small} basic AM Loop Antenna that
comes with most modern AM/FM/Stereo/CD/Tape/Aux
Sound Systems and the many of AM/FM Radios.

* Then get a Select-A-Tenna Model 541-M and use
the 1/8" Mono-Jack on it as an Input for the LongWire
Antenna and Ground. The Select-A-Tenna becomes
the AM/MW Tuner-Coupler for the LongWire Antenna.

Place the Radio's basic AM Loop Antenna close to
the Select-A-Tenna and move it In-and-Out to vary
the Coupling between the two Loops.

TIP - The Select-A-Tenna can also be 'Positioned'
{Rotated} to : Peak a Weak Signal -or- Null-Out a
Strong {Interferring} Signal.

FWIW - The Terk AM Advantage 1000 Loop Antenna
and the RadioShack AM/MW Loop Antenna both have
1/8" Mono Input/Output Jacks and can do the same
basic job as a AM/MW Tuner-Coupler with most modern
AM/FM Radio's and AM/FM/Stereo Tuners.

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF

Yeah, thanks. I'd seen this option, but haven't tried the 541. I'm
trying to avoid inside antennas. The Select-A-Tenna website implies
you'll be amplifying at least some of the inside noise.

It can be rotated to null out both inside and outside noises. It works
extremely well on weak stations, but ONLY if they are well in the
clear, and not close to some station that is near in frequency and
direction to the station you're trying to receive. That's the main
downside of the critter, I've found. It probably works better in rural
locales where stations are sparse and spread out on the dial.

Also, the Select-a-tenna is AM only.

bob
k5qwg

Grounding Steve Rabinowitz Shortwave 31 December 14th 05 05:26 AM
No CounterPoise - Portable Antenna System RHF Shortwave 1 November 19th 05 06:18 PM
FS: Emtech ZM-1 Z-Match QRP antenna tuner Larry Gagnon Swap 0 September 6th 04 05:08 AM