Old April 11th 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Default So Why . . . Choose a Slinky over Stranded Copper Wire for a Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna ?

Bob [K5QWG],

So Why . . . Choose a Slinky over Stranded Copper Wire
for a Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna ?

Yes the Signal capture Area is only 15 Feet vice the 64 Feet of Wire
wrapped-up in the Slinky.

But when compared to a Single Copper Wire that is also 15 Feet Long
the Metal Slinky due to it's Coiled-Up-Wire {Spring} Shape has a
cross-sectional-area that has the electrical appearance of a Thicker
(Much Larger Wire) and thus is the better RF Signal gatherer.

Note - That the Slinky has the added 'dimension' of Thickness about
2.75 Inch Diameter vice about 1/8 Inch Diameter for the Copper Wire.

FWIW - The same could be said for an Antenna Element that is
made of an Inch Diameter (1") piece of Copper Pipe that is 15 Feet
Long over a piece of #14 AWG Stranded Copper Wire that is also
15 Feet Long.

Either way the Slinky or the Copper Pipe has a Larger-Physical-Area
and Greater-Surface-Area for the RF Signal Electrons to be gathered
'in' and and 'on' then the same length {long} of Wire.

So Why . . . Choose a Slinky over Stranded Copper Wire for a
Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna ? ? ?
- - - CAUSE IT'S A SLINKY ! )

yes i am a little bit slinky - iane ~ RHF
Old April 11th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default So Why . . . Choose a Slinky over Stranded Copper Wire for aSh...

Last year I saw a website with a article about somebody who had a Slinky
on the top step of one of those pyramids in Yucatan or wherever (it was
something like that with lots of steps) it is.They turned that Slinky
toy loose and it never missed a step all the way down to the bottom.
cuhulin

Old April 11th 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On 11 Apr 2006 13:37:48 -0700, "RHF"
wrote:

Bob [K5QWG],

[...]

It's also a giant lumped inductance and highly reactive. If you want
a light structure that looks like a fat conductor you use ladder line.
yes i am a little bit slinky - iane ~ RHF
.
.
. .
.

Old April 12th 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 11 Apr 2006 17:47:23 -0700, "RHF"
wrote:

Mister David Sir,

Ladder Line is mighty fine and you could
Climb All-the-Way-to-the-Stars with It.

BUT ! - IT AIN'T A SLINKY ! )

bong, Bong. BONG ! ~ RHF
.
.
. .
.

RHF - perhaps you've been using the bong a bit too much 8-}
Old April 12th 06, 11:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

How...,

It be "My Slinky" that be doing the Bonging
as it slips-and-slides down the steps.

As for me my biggest vice is to Chug-a-Lug down Two Cups
of My StarBucks-with-out-the-Bucks Coffee in the Morning.

RHF's "StarBucks-with-out-the-Bucks" Coffee :
8-12 Ounces of Strong Coffee brewed with a Cinnamon Stick
Plus a Big Heaping Teaspoon of C&H Dark Brown Sugar
- - - Yes - I Love Dark Brown Sugar in the Morning )
Plus a Teaspoon of Carnation Chocolate Malted Milk Power
- - - Yes - I Love Chocolate in the Morning )
Plus Two Teaspoons of Chocolate Malt Favored Ovaltine Power
- - - Did I mention that - I Love Rich Chocolate in the Morning )
Stir Everything Up Real Good with the Teaspoon.
- - - Yes - I Love to Stir Things Up in the Morning.
Add an Once or two of Whole Milk for Color and Taste.
- - - Whole Milk for the Whole Body in the Morning
Don't Ya Know : "Milk Does A Body Good !"

the coffee is ready - drink-up boys ~ RHF

Old April 12th 06, 01:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On 12 Apr 2006 03:10:17 -0700, "RHF"
wrote:

[...]

You're a sugar addict.

Old April 12th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Starbucks? Poor old me,I chug down plain old unsweetened with no milk
Folger's Instant Coffee (sometimes Maxwell House Coffee) loaded with
good old Caffeine.I once ran out of Coffee one morning and I tried to
make it through the day and night without my Coffee.I was going crazy up
in here.The next morning I jumped in my van and I chugged straight on
over to the food store for a big plastic jar of Coffee.I made that first
cup double strong.I can easily do without Beer,but Coffee,,,, I just
can't do it.Same with my hand rolled cigarettes too.
cuhulin

Old April 13th 06, 01:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

DaviD - Yes 'i' can admit to being a "Sugar" Addict ~ RHF

DaviD - After all 'you' have often admitted to being a
Drug Addict; and that is the 1st Step to Recovery.

a speedy recovery david ~ RHF
Old April 13th 06, 01:37 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Default (OT) : Naturally "WIRED" - Try some Morning Thunder Tea

Cuhulin - To get Naturally "Wired"
Try some Morning Thunder Tea.
[ Roasted Maté and Black Tea ]
http://www.celestialseasonings.com/i...7073407015.jpg
http://www.celestialseasonings.com//...roduct/510.php
http://www.smileherb.com/smilebiz/752113.asp

Use the same Morning Thunder Tea Bag to brew three Cups
of Tea over a two hour period in the morning. Three Cups
from the same Bag would get me through four-to-six 8-Hour
Work Shifts before I would start falling asleep standing-up.
- - - Zzzzzzzzzed-Out ! ~ RHF
.
.
.. .

Grounding Steve Rabinowitz Shortwave 31 December 14th 05 06:26 AM
Multi-Band Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antennas : Windom - Dipole - Random Wire RHF Shortwave 0 November 19th 05 10:10 AM
SLINKY - Multi-Band "Off-Center" Vertical Dipole Antenna for Shortwave Listening RC Shortwave 0 October 28th 05 11:37 PM
Poor quality low + High TV channels? How much dB in Preamp? lbbs Antenna 16 December 13th 03 04:01 PM
Question for better antenna mavens than I Tony Meloche Shortwave 7 October 28th 03 10:16 AM