Old April 27th 06, 07:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Joe Analssandrini

Default Preselectors

Dear Jim,

While I have always had problems at my location, none have been as
serious as yours sounds. That said, one of the things that helped me
greatly is a directional antenna. As you know the Wellbrook ALA 330S is
highly directional and I'm able to "null out" the electrical
transformer, the high tension wires, and the nearest street light (all
of which are fortunately in the same general direction). (Unlike yours,
my problems are mostly at night.) I'm not suggesting you buy one of the
Wellbrooks (we've had that discussion before) but perhaps some sort of
highly directional antenna might help you. You could inexpensively
build a loop and see if it offered any improvement. If it did, you
could build or buy a better one. A phased array (outdoor) setup might
also be of use.

I do not think a "diversity" type antenna or a preselector
incorporating same would be of much use unless BOTH antennas were
highly directional. A VERY high-Q preselector would, of course,
eliminate most of your problem (but would probably introduce some new
problems of its own).

The MFJ 1020C would be a good place to start as it is relatively
inexpensive and does indeed work fairly well. (I own a 1020 and a
1020B.) This, in combination with a directional external antenna, would
probably help you greatly and at fairly small cost.

As always, I wish you the very best of luck.

Best,

Joe

Preselectors junius Shortwave 2 April 29th 06 11:18 AM
Preselectors Jim Hackett Shortwave 5 April 29th 06 12:26 AM
Tuned Preselectors - Looking for info Netgeek Homebrew 4 June 30th 05 04:42 PM