Old April 27th 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Jim Hackett

Default Preselectors

Well, I'm using RG-58 cable with connectors made for RG-8 soldered on the
ends. Probably not the cleanest setup. Most radios aren't grounded. I
don't notice any difference on the ones that are. This station comes in on
just about everything that has an amplifier in it and probably a few things
that don't! Sometimes it is terrible, other times it's not bad. 99.9% of
the time after dark when they cut their power back to, I believe, 5 kw, it's
not a problem at all.

If I worked nights, I'd be looking for a new hobby...

"Dale Parfitt" wrote in message

"Jim Hackett" wrote in message
. com...
LOL I'm already using one of yours! That sucker still gets through.

How
would 2 work in series?

2 in series works. But let me ask-
does your station have a good RF ground?
Is the antenna input to the filter low impedance shielded?
Is it possible that the station, while meeting FCC specs, still has
harmonics that would be audible at your QTH?

Dale W4OP

Old April 27th 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

http://www.showmecables.com/productD...idproduct=1334

Old April 27th 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Dale Parfitt

"Jim Hackett" wrote in message
m...
Well, I'm using RG-58 cable with connectors made for RG-8 soldered on the
ends. Probably not the cleanest setup. Most radios aren't grounded. I
don't notice any difference on the ones that are. This station comes in
on
just about everything that has an amplifier in it and probably a few
things
that don't! Sometimes it is terrible, other times it's not bad. 99.9% of
the time after dark when they cut their power back to, I believe, 5 kw,
it's
not a problem at all.

If I worked nights, I'd be looking for a new hobby...

The problem in a case like this is, or could be, that w/o a good RF ground
at the filter, the 50KW signal can "blow by" the filter in common mode on
the exterior of the shield.
The other problem of them being legal, but still strong enough to hear their
harmonics sounds as though is is still a possibility also.
Does your RX have a built in attenuator? Note how much the fundamental
signal is reduced when you switch in the attenuator. If this is IM, the IM
priducts should be reduced by more than the fundamental.

Dale W4OP

Old April 28th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Jim Hackett

Wow. I'm not sure what you said Dale but even with your filter AND an
additional 20-40 dB of attenuation, it can still be heard throughout the
shortwave spectrum (on a bad day)

Old April 28th 06, 09:43 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Telamon - Very Good Recommendations and Fault Finding ~ RHF

Old April 29th 06, 12:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I was over at my next oldest sister and brother in law's home this
morning.(Harvey,I don't think UPS will accept that home made cardboard
stapled together and with bailing wire box you made out of that big
oversized chair cardboard box.I am going to check out a U-Haul store and
see what they have in the way of cardboard boxes,if the UPS place
doesn't have one of suitable size) He has DirecTV (and a serious radio
scanner,if if y'all know what I mean? and behind his house is a tall
antenna that has another (curved shaped) antenna on that same post.He is
the kind of guy whom you dont want to ask too many questions about
things.So I didn't ask old Harvey what that antenna is for.
cuhulin

Preselectors junius Shortwave 2 April 29th 06 11:18 AM
Tuned Preselectors - Looking for info Netgeek Homebrew 4 June 30th 05 04:42 PM