Old April 28th 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Beloved Leader

Default SWR closeouts at Radio Shack

I went to my nearby Radio Shack today. Here's my report.

First of all, their website seems improved. It is much easier to
navigate.

http://www.radioshack.com/family/ind...073&cp=2032052

Grundig Mini 100 PE AM/FM/Shortwave Radio
Model: 100 PE | Catalog #: 12-830
Had been $29.99; is now $19.97.

Grundig FR200 Emergency Crank Radio (Yellow)
Model: FR200-Yellow | Catalog #: 12-480
The last two digits of the SKU vary according to color.
Had been $39.99; current price not specified, as it is out of stock.

Grundig AM/FM/Shortwave World Band Radio
Model: G1000A | Catalog #: 20-239
Had been $49.99; is now $39.97.

Eton Elite Series AM/FM/Shortwave Radio
Model: E10 | Catalog #: 20-237
Had been $99.97; is now $79.97.
This is interesting. The website says it is in store only. The .97
ending of the old price indicates it was already on clearance. The
current price of $79.97 means it is now in at least its second, and
possibly its third, price-cutting cycle.

Old May 1st 06, 11:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Slow Code

wrote in
:

Metrocenter Mall
www.metromalljackson.com is about 275 foot steps
across Highway 80 from doggys front yard.Them P one hunerts are $19.95
(plus Mississippi RIPP OFF sales taxes,seven RIPP OFF cents on the
dollar) I need to hit the road tomorrow for a proper cardboard box for a
certain something) I might justify stoppin off at one of them Radio
Shack stores around here and sweet talkin them Radio Shack wimmins.
cuhulin

Did you ever pop one off in a bottle?

Old May 7th 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Lisa Simpson

That's in response to their restructuring & closing many stores; just
dropped by my local favorite & picked up some parts & pieces for various
projects at a discount, & got a $10 coupon for use at nearby stores not
closing to boot!

wrote in message
oups.com...
Looks like RS is getting rid of all their Chinese-made Grundig junk -
smart move, especially, when there isn't much of interest on SW
anymore...

Old May 7th 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

You know them old timey old glass heavy duty glass jugs that had the one
finger loop thangys on them? That jug blew the cap and took off across
the yard like a JATO! I jumped out of the way!
cuhulin

Old May 8th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
running dogg

Lisa Simpson wrote:

That's in response to their restructuring & closing many stores; just
dropped by my local favorite & picked up some parts & pieces for various
projects at a discount, & got a $10 coupon for use at nearby stores not
closing to boot!

I suspect that they don't make much money on shortwave radio sales.
Fry's replaced their tiny SW/weather radio section with CBs (disco,
anyone?). Retail SW radio sales have serious competitors in the internet
and mail order catalogs. Why should Rat Shack stock ****ty Grundig SW
radios when you can go on ebay and buy the exact same radio labeled as a
Tecsun for half the price? You simply can't compete with that. Plus the
few retail outlets that exist, such as Ham Radio Outlet and Universal
Radio, do lots of mail order business. With the ease and cheap cost of
shipping radios nowadays, even from China, why should a local store
bother to stock shortwave radios? People who are considering a Grundig
radio will google it, see that it's the same as Tecsun, go to ebay and
search for Tecsun, see that they can get the same radio for half the
cost from Hong Kong, and order it from HK instead of from Rat Shack.