Old May 4th 06, 05:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John Plimmer

Default Receiver test data

For those interested in receiver specs, Bob Sherwood has added to and
updated his interesting list of receiver specs.
Still nothing to beat the AOR 7030..!!
Receivers listed are from the oldies like the Kenwood R-600 all the way up
to the most exotic offerings.
See http://www.sherweng.com/table.html
The receivers are ranked according to their "Dynamic Range narrow spaced"
which is one of the most important parameters for that really serious DX of
signals with adjacent channel interference.

Don't take the specs too seriously though, as a good DX friend of mine runs
rings around me when it comes to exotic DX results and he has a modest Yaesu
FRG-7 (Frog) that he swears by.
South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
RX Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
Drake SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D GE SRIII
BW XCR 30, Braun T1000, Sangean 818 & 803A.
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

Old May 4th 06, 10:46 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

JP,

Thank You for posting the Info about the Up-Date
to the Sherwood Engineering "Receiver Test Data"
RCVR DATA = http://www.sherweng.com/table.html

Plus your own webpages are a very informative
and an interesting read.
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

* RF Systems DX-1 Pro Active Antenna
-by- John Plimmer
http://www.dxing.info/equipment/dx1pro.dx

* Kiwa Mediumwave Loop Experiences
-by- John Plimmer
http://www.dxing.info/equipment/kiwa_mw_loop_plimmer.dx

* Pre-Amp Peregrinations - Adventures with RF Pre-Amps
by Advanced Receiver Research and DX Engineering
-by- John H. Bryant and Mark Connelly
http://www.dxing.info/equipment/prea...nt_connelly.dx

* A Second Look at Fabricating Impedance
Transformers for Receiving Antennas
-by- John Bryant with Bill Bowers
and Nick Hall-Patch [VE7DXR]
DXing.info, July 2003
http://www.dxing.info/equipment/impe...er_bryant2.doc

iane ~ RHF
Old May 6th 06, 05:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Guy Atkins

"John S." wrote in message receiver with the best spec.

And the finest receiver in the world is no substitute for knowlege of
the bands, how tie the receiver properly to one or more antennas, etc.

Amen! An experienced DXers with an average radio can run circles around a
beginner with an expensive, hot rod receiver.

Other aspects of the entire signal chain are often overlooked or too quickly
dismissed. Here's my list of criteria, in descending order of importance:

1. ionospheric propagation
2. antenna(s)
3. receiving location (RF-quiet, noisy, at the beach for sea gain
enhancement, etc.)
4. the DXer's experience
5. receiver
6. luck!

Anyone else with a similar or differing list?

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA
www.sdr-1000.blogspot.com

Old May 6th 06, 12:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

Guy Atkins wrote:
"John S." wrote in message receiver with the best spec.

And the finest receiver in the world is no substitute for knowlege of
the bands, how tie the receiver properly to one or more antennas, etc.

Amen! An experienced DXers with an average radio can run circles around a
beginner with an expensive, hot rod receiver.

Other aspects of the entire signal chain are often overlooked or too quickly
dismissed. Here's my list of criteria, in descending order of importance:

1. ionospheric propagation
2. antenna(s)
3. receiving location (RF-quiet, noisy, at the beach for sea gain
enhancement, etc.)
4. the DXer's experience
5. receiver
6. luck!

I've often felt like luck was at the top (grin)!

Old May 6th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Guy Atkins wrote:
[...]

I agree with this your list in its order, however, in place of luck I'd
put "Perserverence." You can make your own luck if you keep listening
regardless of your equipment. Conditions are constantly changing.

Old May 7th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

Default GE Superadios - Not ! - But Sometimes . . . The NUMB3RS Can Not Be Ignored [.]

On 6 May 2006 18:08:17 -0700, "RHF"
wrote:

WM,

GE Superadios - Not ! - But Sometimes . . .
The NUMB3RS Can Not Be Ignored [.]
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/9399

This Is Why {IMHO} - There are more good AM/MW DX 'catches'
Heard with GE Superadios then all other Radios combined.

1 - The Total Number of GE Superadios being used for everyday
and all night {late night} AM/MW Radio Listening.

2 - The Total Number of Daily and Weekly Hours that
the User's of GE Superadios are :
listening, Listening. LISTENING ! to their Radios.

3 - The Numbers Add-Up and Multiply - IF It Is Out-There -
The-Chances-Are someone with a GE Superadio is searching
for it (what ever it is) or will happen on it and one of them will
"Hear It" on a GE Superadio.

sometimes quantity does trump quality - iane ~ RHF
.

More than car radios? Doubtful.

Old May 7th 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bob Miller

On 6 May 2006 18:08:17 -0700, "RHF"
wrote:

You need to work on your arithmetic. My CCRadio is simultaneously
tuned to 5 fm, 5 am, 2 weather and 13 tv stations; all at the pop of a
button. My GE SuperRadio is tuned to one station.

bob
k5qwg
Old May 7th 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

David,

Consider the Read Profile of someone who Reads and Posts
to Rec.Radio.Shortwave - They are NOT your average Radio Listener.

Next consider the Listening Profile of someone who Buys a
GE Superadio to Listen to the Radio Every Day and All Night
and again - They are NOT your average Radio Listener.

Then consider the Listening Profile of someone who simply
owns a Car / Truck and Listens to the Radio in it while they
are in it Driving down the Road of Life - Now "They" ARE
your very average casual Radio Listener with :
* One-Eye-on-the-Road
* One-Ear-on-the-Radio
* One-Hand-on-the-Steering- Wheel
* Half a Brain Focused on Traffic
And with the other half of everything just plain doing
something else as they Cruise-Down-the-Road-of-Life !

well that is how i see it ~ RHF
Old May 7th 06, 05:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

BM,

When the Man with the Arithmetic
Meets the Man with the Reality . . .
The Man with Reality Wins [.]

In Reality whether you use your CCRadio
or I use my GE Superadio we each can only
Listent to One Radios Station at a Time on
Each Radio.

Using your Logic the Eton E1 could really
Blow Your Mind with 700 Station Memories !

I get by with two ears and one spearker connected to
one Radio tuned to One Station at a Time for my
simple Mind to Process and Understand and Enjoy ~ RHF
Old May 7th 06, 06:38 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default GE Superadios - Not ! - But Sometimes . . . The NUMB3RS CanNot...

GE Superadios.NO!!!!!! Not unless I find one for a couple of dollars
over yonder at the Goodwill store six tenths of a mile South (South is
always best) of my little doggys couch. GE Superadios = JUNK.
cuhulin

Coax Losses ? Robert11 Antenna 4 February 14th 06 05:37 PM
FS: Optoelectronics Xplorer Test Receiver Rod B Swap 0 December 8th 03 01:59 AM
DX test Results [email protected] Broadcasting 0 November 7th 03 11:37 PM
Question for the No coders : post from Kim N2EY Policy 57 August 13th 03 05:03 AM
NC 155 Receiver Transformer Data?? Dario Lopez Equipment 2 July 2nd 03 06:43 PM