Old May 13th 06, 10:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
S Walters

Default Sangean 404

I am considering a small digital shortwave set for travel purposes and
am considering the Sangean 404 and the Sony SW35. I have a Sony 7600GR
and a Kaito WRX911 and am a regular SWL so I know a little something
about portable shortwave radios. How is the build quality on the
Sangean 404? Iwant a radio that can stand up to being carried around
and not fall apart after six months. My Sony "GR" is too nice to be
carrying around. I would hate for something to happen to it. The Kaito
911 is good but I want the sleep timer and alarm clock features as well
as a lighted display for night time use. I like the SW35 but the Sangean
404 has direct entry tuning which is a real plus. I have read good and
bad reviews on both and since no local stores carry either, I can't test
them out. Build quality is first and foremost. I have a Sangean 622
which is not a bad set but performance could be better. Of the 404 or
SW35, which is the better built radio?
Old May 13th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Sat, 13 May 2006 17:39:21 -0400, S Walters
wrote:

[...]

Single Conversion radios tend to whistle and whine a lot.

Old May 13th 06, 11:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Joe Analssandrini

P.S. The Sony ICF-SW35 is a dual-conversion receiver.

Best,

Joe

Old May 14th 06, 12:20 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Single conversion people tend to,,,,,,, awwww,I wont say that.
I would go for the Sony radio.
cuhulin

Old May 14th 06, 08:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
SWL-2010

"S Walters" wrote in message
[...]

I've had Sangean receivers tagged under the Radio Shack brand name for a
long time now. The only only one I ever had go bad on me was a DX-399, but
that was because it took a hard fall, and it just broke. Other than that,
they have served me well for a long time all at fair prices.

Old May 14th 06, 08:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

JA,

Good Tip and Good Idea :
Having the Batteries "Out" of the Radio while the Radio is
not in-use (in storage in the Glove Box) is a very good idea.

1 - Keeps the Batteries Fresh

2 - Protects the Radio from any Battery Damage.

Put the Batteries "In" to use the Radio -and-
Take the Batteries "Out" for Storage.

MOBILE-TO-GO [No Batteries Required]
Another Trick is to have one of those adjustable
Adapters for a Car's Cigarette Lighter Plug (12 VDC) to
9/6/4.5/3 VDC with the right Plug for the Radio. Turn-Off
the Car's engine and simply run the Radio 'off' the Car's
Battery Power with the Adapter.
-Example- Recoton Universal Car Cigarette Lighter
DC-to-DC Adapter
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ9723947246
-Add- A 23 Foot Reel-Up {Role-Up} Antenna
and you have a Mobile Listening Post.
-Example- Portable Shortwave Reel Antenna
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ9724829580

keep it simple and practical - iane ~ RHF

/ \
-------!-------

Old May 14th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
S Walters

wrote:

- Might consider the Shirt pocket sized Degen De1105

http://www.radiointel.com/review-degende1105.htm

Nice little set

That is a nice little set. I can't help but wonder if the adhesive that
holds that aluminum front panel on might give way over time. I have
seen brushed aluminum trim on many radios come loose in the past.
Old May 14th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Billy Smith

wrote:

[...]

I had a cheap Chinese single conversion radio years ago back in the late
90s and all it did was whine and whistle. Still could pick up most of
the major broadcasters though. BBC, Australia, DW etc.
Old May 15th 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

S Walters wrote:
wrote:

- Might consider the Shirt pocket sized Degen De1105

http://www.radiointel.com/review-degende1105.htm

Nice little set

That is a nice little set. I can't help but wonder if the adhesive that
holds that aluminum front panel on might give way over time. I have
seen brushed aluminum trim on many radios come loose in the past.

- If it does, I will let you know..

Trucking this set most everytwhere..

still works great..!

FS - Sangean 803A Dan Swap 0 January 31st 06 12:05 AM
Sangean ATS-505 Receiver - Improving your Shortwave Radio Reception with an External Shortwave Listener's (SWL) Antenna RHF Shortwave 0 January 16th 06 09:12 PM
KA1102 vs. Sangean 606 vs. Tecsun PL230 Juan Gonzalez Shortwave 7 September 17th 04 04:18 AM
Sangean Problems? DeWayne Shortwave 11 March 10th 04 10:36 PM
FS/FT Sangean 505 and Radio Shack DX 399 D. Schopp Swap 1 August 9th 03 07:50 PM